Parents: what's your spin on Santa? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Parents: what's your spin on Santa?

How are you approaching those tricky questions regarding Santa? I'm shocked that my 8 year old even believes in Santa still, with the way things are these days. I overheard her telling her younger sisters that she was gonna get this toy and that toy, then she told me about that damn $350+ Fur-Real pony that she's gonna get. So I tell her "sorry baby, that's a little too expensive so I don't think you'll be getting that for Christmas"

Her response? "It's ok if you're broke, momma, Santa will get it for me."

Of course, that led into a whole discussion of why some kids can get certain things that others can't, and why we can't afford some things because we have to pay Santa so he can pay his elves. That led into a discussion about how the elves do make the toys, and so on. First time I found myself one-upped by the kids. What happened to the simple days when we knew there was no such thing as Santa, but we didn't dare question it for fear that the presents might stop coming??

Old 11-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 PM
My 3 kids aged 8, 6 & almost 5, are all firm believers in Santa. I think it's great - childhoods are too short and the longer they believe in the tooth fairy and santa, the better

I get my kids to write out their wish list. They 'know' that Santa's elves are staking them out all the time to tell Santa if they're good or not , and we've always said that Santa won't be able to get everything on the list, he just picks one or two things as he has a lot of other kids to give presents too. And that he has to be fair to all the kids, so he can't give my kids something worth heaps of money, and the kids next door something that isn't..... I dunno, I guess we've just been really lucky so far that we don't have anything too scary like a pony on their lists!

I dread being one-upped by the kids, and it's bound to happen sooner rather than later!

Good Luck!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Santa is just a dyslexic Satan.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Santa is just a dyslexic Satan.
Everything you post now sounds like it's being said in GOB's voice in my head...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I never cared about Santa. I think I *wanted* to believe, but we didn't have a fireplace (we lived in a 150 year old farmhouse and the "chimney" running up the inside of the house was converted into small closets) so I didn't know how to reconcile that. I wasn't one of those kids that refused to believe, I just didn't think about it. Either way, I still got my present and I knew they were really coming from mom and dad.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Everything you post now sounds like it's being said in GOB's voice in my head...
Bees?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Re: Parents: what's your spin on Santa?

Quote:
Originally posted by MandyMarie
How are you approaching those tricky questions regarding Santa? I'm shocked that my 8 year old even believes in Santa still, with the way things are these days. I overheard her telling her younger sisters that she was gonna get this toy and that toy, then she told me about that damn $350+ Fur-Real pony that she's gonna get. So I tell her "sorry baby, that's a little too expensive so I don't think you'll be getting that for Christmas"

Her response? "It's ok if you're broke, momma, Santa will get it for me."
I hate to suggest this, but she may be testing you. I did something like that at about her age (I no longer believed but wouldn't admit it in fear of not getting cool presents, "Santa" always gave more than the parents!) I would drop little statements like that around just to see what they'd say and how they'd handle it, and if I started hearing stuff about not 'affording' it, I'd know my friends were right that Santa was really my parents. I find it very hard to accept any 8 year old these days actually believes, when even kids that age or younger 20 years ago didn't. IF she does really know, and admits it, or you have to tell her, please be careful she doesn't spoil it for her younger sisters who have a few more years to hold on to the fantasy.

Another suggestion is to tell her that Santa wasn't able to bring those big ponies because they took up too much room in the sleigh and made it too hard for Rudolf to get it off the ground
Old 11-20-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
Acrobat

Re: Re: Parents: what's your spin on Santa?

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch

I hate to suggest this, but she may be testing you. I did something like that at about her age (I no longer believed but wouldn't admit it in fear of not getting cool presents, "Santa" always gave more than the parents!) I would drop little statements like that around just to see what they'd say and how they'd handle it, and if I started hearing stuff about not 'affording' it, I'd know my friends were right that Santa was really my parents. I find it very hard to accept any 8 year old these days actually believes, when even kids that age or younger 20 years ago didn't. IF she does really know, and admits it, or you have to tell her, please be careful she doesn't spoil it for her younger sisters who have a few more years to hold on to the fantasy.

Another suggestion is to tell her that Santa wasn't able to bring those big ponies because they took up too much room in the sleigh and made it too hard for Rudolf to get it off the ground
Very funny. The Fur-Real horse in question is named Butterscotch. My daughter sent you here, didn't she?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4875172

I questioned whether she might be testing me, but my oldest is painfully shy and quiet, and possibly naive enough to still believe at her age (even though she's probably the only one in the 3rd grade to do so). She's not spoiled by any means, I have three daughters and one step-daughter whom we support with my husband's income. So it isn't like she just expects to get what she wants when she wants it. I dunno what to think, I guess I just hadn't prepared myself over possibly getting the third degree on Santa. Good grief, I was probably 14-15 before I finally 'fessed up that I knew Santa wasn't real, all because I wasn't gonna take any chances!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 PM
I was about 9 or so....my 8yr old is still adamant that he's real. She knows the Santa's in the malls etc are fake and goes along with it for her little sister and brother, but she still believes that there is a real santa, through and through. I've found that the older she gets, then the more inquisitive and argumetative she naturally gets.....if she queries it then I'll be honest with her. But yeah it's really hard when advertising bombards the kids with all these expensive toys and gadgets they HAVE to have....
Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

Bees?
Beads!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:05 AM   #11
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 02:41 PM
You're complaining at 8 they still believe? I was 11 before it all came out of the closet. I didn't have a chimmney, but Father Christmas had a magical key that opened every door in the world! He also drank some of the beer and the cookie and rudolph had a sip of water and a few carrot sticks. The EXCITMENT of seeing that eaten in the more on the way to the xmas tree is undescribable. Let them hold onto it for as long as possible!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Re: Re: Re: Parents: what's your spin on Santa?

Quote:

Very funny. The Fur-Real horse in question is named Butterscotch. My daughter sent you here, didn't she?

LOL! That's cute!

Please also consider that she may never 'come out of the closet' or admit it in so many words. I never did, and I was never officially 'told the truth.' It just sort of happens one day and you have to leave it at that. My family had this sort of rule that Santa stopped coming to you when you were 12 anyway (or when you outgrew wanting toys, whichever came first) Oh, and Santa NEVER brings electronics(video games, computerized toys, etc)- the elves aren't high tech enough to make them! Good one, eh?

In the meantime I still think my pony too big for the sleigh thing is a good idea
Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
You're complaining at 8 they still believe? I was 11 before it all came out of the closet. I didn't have a chimmney, but Father Christmas had a magical key that opened every door in the world! He also drank some of the beer and the cookie and rudolph had a sip of water and a few carrot sticks. The EXCITMENT of seeing that eaten in the more on the way to the xmas tree is undescribable. Let them hold onto it for as long as possible!
Nooo, I'm actually very pleased to see she still believes. If you're not a parent, you probably haven't noticed how different kids are at that age these days. it's scary. I got my first teen magazine, BOP, when I was around 13, she and all her friends already have their first boy-crush poster on their walls. Wth? Slooow down!

I guess that's why it seems a little more complicated now. I'm just a little bewildered to see my 8 year old kinda stuck between having that blissful childish innocence and growing up a little fast. My little girl, whose room is still decorated with every Disney character imaginable, is suddenly into the "big girl" stuff and is crushing on that damn Zac kid from "High School Musical."

Yeah yeah, I think this thread is in need of a new title now...
Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Could you not kind of explain one way or another that she cant have the pony but take her on a pony trek sometime insted? I dont know if you'd have any stables or that where you live, but it's about £20 more or less for a trek over here. A damn sight cheaper than "butterscotch"
Old 11-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Parents: what's your spin on Santa?

Quote:

I questioned whether she might be testing me, but my oldest is painfully shy and quiet, and possibly naive enough to still believe at her age (even though she's probably the only one in the 3rd grade to do so). She's not spoiled by any means, I have three daughters and one step-daughter whom we support with my husband's income. So it isn't like she just expects to get what she wants when she wants it. I dunno what to think, I guess I just hadn't prepared myself over possibly getting the third degree on Santa. Good grief, I was probably 14-15 before I finally 'fessed up that I knew Santa wasn't real, all because I wasn't gonna take any chances!
$250 for that pony is insane! I was thinking of getting something similar for my step-daughter and I've seen some starting at $70 in Loblaw's (a Canadian chain) and I think about $80 or $90 in Walmart. Perhaps they're different somehow but they do look similar to me