Parents: what's your spin on Santa? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 04:23 PM
HAHHAHAHA when i was little i had a broomstick with a fake pony head on it that made noise..from crockerbarrel or something..had that thing for years..that furreal thing..thats just rediculous!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:31 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:53 AM
I never even bothered with santa, explaining the concept to a child with autism was just all too hard.

nor do i do religion , we dont attend church and i never botherd explaing the concept of jesus and all that crapola .

we have a very off beat and pagan slanted Australian christmas.

At the moment i am also trying to instill the values of make poverty history and donating to oxfam instead of buying everyone disgusting trashy presents.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Abolish Santa once and for all.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:23 PM
there's no santa???

Old 11-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Abolish Santa once and for all.
Yes, and while we’re at that, let’s replace him with Fifty-Cent. Now those presents would be ghetto. Have a very Rolex Christmas! It wouldn’t be that bad, if only for the inherent comedic potential.

Damn those dark satanic mills.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_jen

we have a very off beat and pagan slanted Australian christmas.

At the moment i am also trying to instill the values of make poverty history and donating to oxfam instead of buying everyone disgusting trashy presents.
Yea for off beat pagan celebrations! And like I said elsewhere, my family is getting donations to The Heifer Project in their names. Buy my darling (only child) little boy will still get a scooter from "Santa".
Old 11-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude

Yes, and while we’re at that, let’s replace him with Fifty-Cent. Now those presents would be ghetto. Have a very Rolex Christmas! It wouldn’t be that bad, if only for the inherent comedic potential.

Damn those dark satanic mills.
I'm pretty sure 50 cent wouldn't work. He'd be too busy showing the children his gunshot wounds to give a crap about giving them a bunch of presents.

Seriously though, maybe if we all decided that we weren't going to lie to our children anymore about Santa and say he doesn't exist, the holiday would be a little better for it.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_jen
buying everyone disgusting trashy presents.
I only buy good stuff for the people I give gifts to.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:37 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 PM
I'm not a parent, but if I were, I'd do the Santa thing with my kids.

There was a certain sort of magic to waking up in the wee hours of the morning (or even the middle of the night) and sneaking into the living room with my siblings to see what Santa had left under the tree and in our stockings for us. I miss that magic and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Our presents from Santa were never wrapped, so it was always a perfect delight to go around the corner and get that glimpse of toys piled up. We'd look at everything and play with them a bit before going back to bed.

I never went through a harsh realization of discovering the truth of Santa. I just gradually figured it out on my own, I guess. I think I was about 9 years old or so when my parents stopped trying to sell the myth to us (I was the youngest.) Honestly, I didn't really care who was bringing the presents, as long as I got them (I was a greedy child.) But the magic was gone, because with the myth went the mysterious arrival of presents in the middle of the night. After that gifts from our parents were either wrapped and opened on Christmas Eve during the extended-family gift exchange, or else doled out on Christmas morning after everyone was awake.

All that said, I used to mod a website that had some rather young members (I think the youngest was 8), so we had a policy that if a member started saying anything about Santa not being real, we mods would be quick to reply with something along the lines of: "What are you talking about? Of course Santa's real! I saw him having breakfast with the Easter Bunny last week!"
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Re: Re: Re: Parents: what's your spin on Santa?

Quote:
Originally posted by MandyMarie

Very funny. The Fur-Real horse in question is named Butterscotch. My daughter sent you here, didn't she?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4875172

Ok, I realize that I am not an 8-year old little girl, but . . . . what (in the north pole) do you freakin' do with this thing Butterscotch? It doesn't appear to move or change position. So after about 5 minutes sitting on this furry lump that does nothing except wiggle its ears and bray, wouldn't any normal 8 year old be bored beyond tears?

At least that stick-with-a-pony-head mentioned earlier could be galloped around like a pony!

Maybe I'm just too old for ponies.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:13 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:53 PM
I'm not a parent...unless my relationship to a small and fuzzy little dog counts.

However, if I ever become a human parent, my spin on Santa is this: he's often overdone, but important. It's all about the symbolism. Although I detest the crazed rushes at the mall, Christmas can be the most joyous and wondrous moments of a kid's life. The spirit of giving is a good thing, if it's kept in check by the parents.

So, yes, speaking as the last person in his elementary school to believe in Santa, I'd propagate the myth to all future innocents. If my kid was really smart, and started questioning, I'd really push the "Santa as symbolism" thing.

It's amazing how just a simple string of lights this time of year can illuminate what's best about being human, red suit, or not.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #27
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
there's no santa???

these are horrible, horrible people who are just trying to trick you.

Santa is real. . . . . . . . isn't he I still get present from him and I'm 30

It's just a coincidence that his handwriting is like my Mums.