Parcells - ends a long and successful career

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucky charms

War Child
Big Tuna bids adieu

Parcells retires from football

Coach Bill Parcells is ending his relationship with the Dallas Cowboys by retiring from football. (AP File Photo/Kevin P. Casey)

IRVING, Texas (AP) - Bill Parcells retired from coaching Monday, leaving the Dallas Cowboys after four seasons and ending a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships.

The announcement came 15 days after the Cowboys' season ended with a heartbreaking playoff loss in Seattle.

He'd been at his office nearly every day since, and there were other indications that the 65-year-old coach was returning for a fifth year in Dallas and 20th as an NFL head coach.

"I am retiring from coaching football," Parcells said in a statement. "I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years. Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here."

The announcement came in a morning e-mail. There was no immediate statement from Jones, the team owner, although one was planned for later in the day. There were no immediate plans for a news conference.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," Parcells said. "I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard. "

Parcells won two Super Bowls with the Giants. He came to Dallas four seasons ago energized by the challenge of restoring glory to "America's Team." He went 34-32 and definitely left the Cowboys better than he found them, but his tenure ultimately may be remembered for the lack of a playoff victory.

He came to Dallas four seasons ago energized by the challenge of restoring glory to "America's Team." While he definitely left the Cowboys better than he found them, his tenure ultimately may be remembered for the lack of a playoff victory.

His teams went 0-2 in the post-season. Dallas appeared headed to a breakthrough win this month in Seattle, but Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo botched the hold on a short field goal with a little more than a minute left and the Cowboys lost 21-20. They lost four of their last five games, including the final three, after holding a two-game division lead in December.

Dallas hasn't won a playoff game since 1996, easily the longest skid in the history of the franchise that's been to a record eight Super Bowls.

Parcells' legacy with the Cowboys can be framed this way: Instead of joining Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer as coaches who led them to championships, he leaves lumped with Chan Gailey and Dave Campo

as much as i used to like bledsoe (still do, i guess), even i knew that a change was needed at qb.

Well good. Maybe the Smellboys will suck really bad next year :happy:

He was a traitor to the Giants to go to their arch enemy.

U2Kitten said:

He was a traitor to the Giants to go to their arch enemy.

which team offered more money?

I thought so.

LemonMacPhisto said:

which team offered more money?

I thought so.

I know, call me a sucka, but I just think there are things more important than money. I hate to see guys leave a team for their bitter rival.

I also hate to see guys leave a team where they fit in very well and have a chance for glory to go to a team that doesn't just for a few extra bucks *coughedgecough* Now he's rotting away in Arizona while the other two triplets are going to the Super Bowl. Is he kicking himself? I would be. I know I'm poor, but to me what difference does a million more make? 5 or 6 million, you're still rich, isn't that good enough? I'd take the glory the team loyalty, but like I said, I'm a poor sucka.

Last edited:
Screw Parcells...he'll probably get a couple extra bucks to coach somebody else next year, or the year after...Redskins probably, nail all the NFC East rivals, why not? Ever since he took the Pats to the Super Bowl and spent the weeks leading up to it job-hunting he's been dead to me. Great coach no doubt, but a selfish asshole too...and I guess it worked out for my Pats, Belichick's better anyway :)

as far as i'm concearned bill parcells has been retired ever since scott norwood missed that field goal.

every stop since he's been simply collecting a pay check. which there's nothign wrong with... everyone one of us would leave our current job to do the same thing for another company at a significant pay increase. and don't say you wouldn't...

but don't deny bill parcells' greatness.

the giants were a laughing stock when he took them over... he won two super bowls.

the patriots were a disgrace to football when he took them over... he took them to a super bowl, and they haven't been bad since.

the jets were coming off two seasons in which they won 4 combined games and were more or less the clippers of the NFL... he took them to the AFC championship game.

the cowboys were a floundering franchise since the retirement of aikman, irving and smith leaving... he was one botched field goal from taking them to the second round of the playoffs, and who knows what happens from there.

and let's not forget about the laundry list of NFL coaches who learned under bill parcells... including bill belichick, charlie weiss, sean payton, tom coughlin, romeo crennel, al groh, jim fassel, etc. etc. etc.

the guy is simply one of the greatest coaches in any sport... period. like him or not, give him his due.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Don't count on it.

Good riddance, though. His ego is just as big as TO's. I'm hoping the Boys can bring in some young blood at head coach. It really sucks that this didn't happen sooner and they didn't get a chance to keep Sean Payton around. I was never a fan of Parcells right from the beginning.

Parcells was a great coach, but his loyality usually stood with whomever gave him the most money/power. I'm a Giants fan, so I remember when he took over the Giants in 1983 and built them into a contender. Fast forward to May 1991, a few of months after the Giants won the Super Bowl for the second time. Parcells resigns as coach and makes a verbal promise to coach the TB Bucs. Then he breaks that promise and decides to just get into broadcasting for the time being. So already he's fucked over two teams in the span of a couple of months. Fast forward to early 1997 now. Parcells is now coaching the NE Pats and they're getting ready to face the GB Packers in the Super Bowl. All of the talk before the big game is about Parcells leaving the team. No wonder the Pats lost that year. Ok, after that, he soon fucks over the Pats and goes to the Jets in some bullshit advisor role until the Jets work out a deal with the NFL and the Pats. Oh yeah, he took his buddy Belicheck with him. Doubly fucking the Pats. Belichick becomes the "coach" , but never coaches a game for the Jets. Eventually, compensation is given to the Pats and Parcells is officially made the coach. Fast forward to early 1999. After leading the Jets to the AFC championship game, Parcells steps down as coach. Now in Belicheck's contract, he was supposed to take over the team as it's coach if Parcells left. But, after one day on the job, he quits citing uncertainty in the ownership.( The Jets were in the process of selling the team.)So the other Bill fucks over the Jets too. Anyway, Parcells hangs around as GM for another season, but bolts after that. Leaving the Jets to find another GM. Ok, next stop Dallas. By now we know the story. Parcells turns the Boys around, but then fucks over the Boys by not sticking around for the length of his contract. Now the Boys have very limited options for a replacement coach. So there you have it: Parcells was a great coach who loved to fuck over his employers. Great legacy, coach! Please stay "retired"!

Well, the Giants got their Super Bowls, but 3 other teams that Parcells coached didn't. What about them? Parcells should've just stayed with the Giants all along, but, alas, he didn't.

Meh. This sort of stuff happens in other businesses all the time. Nobody protested when Harvard threw a buttload of money at psychology prof Steven Pinker and got him to ditch MIT.

And...T.O. wasted no time in bashing his old coach again...

"I am just hoping his retirement brings promise to what the team has to offer," embattled wide receiver Terrell Owens told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Monday. "This past year was a big letdown. On paper we were as good as anybody we played against every week. The end result didn't show that. Our play was not indicative of what we could have done. What we should have done. Hopefully, the owner will hire a coach to take the team to the next level."

He also, of course, went on to say how he wasn't utilized in the offense enough. That he wasn't the number 1 reciever and that effected how he played. And that it isn't just him, but everyone see's it. Yet, TO was top ten in looks or thrown too stats.

The big dog has stepped out, so now Owens feels like he can say something. What a tool.

TO is a douche no doubt. I'm sure Jerry Jones will give him a call. After all, TO didn't exactly have a great year and the Cowboys are paying him a lot of money.

U2Kitten said:

I know, call me a sucka, but I just think there are things more important than money. I hate to see guys leave a team for their bitter rival.

I also hate to see guys leave a team where they fit in very well and have a chance for glory to go to a team that doesn't just for a few extra bucks *coughedgecough* Now he's rotting away in Arizona while the other two triplets are going to the Super Bowl. Is he kicking himself? I would be. I know I'm poor, but to me what difference does a million more make? 5 or 6 million, you're still rich, isn't that good enough? I'd take the glory the team loyalty, but like I said, I'm a poor sucka.

Tell that to Pat Riley.

MrPryck2U said:
TO is a douche no doubt. I'm sure Jerry Jones will give him a call. After all, TO didn't exactly have a great year and the Cowboys are paying him a lot of money.

Well, maybe some of those 15 drops he had could have helped his team out a little bit. I can't wait to see who Jerry Jones and TO hire for the new coaching job...and then I can't wait to find out what is wrong with the new coach according to Mr. Owens.

inmyplace13 said:

Don't count on it.

I just want to say, I don't mean to offend any REAL Cowboy fans from Dallas if that's what you are. But living in VA all my life I have been endlessly plagued by fake Dallas fans and bandwagoners who can't even name 3 players, but wear the gear (when they're winning) and always like to brag and get real obnoxious trash talking, then crawl back into the woodwork (or switch to the Raiders) when they lose. I have always said, I've only known 2 real Cowboy fans in my life, I do respect their support for their team (even though I hate it) but not the bandwagoners who have left a bad taste in my mouth, and are 98% of the "Smellboy" fans I have known.

U2Kitten said:

I just want to say, I don't mean to offend any REAL Cowboy fans from Dallas if that's what you are. But living in VA all my life I have been endlessly plagued by fake Dallas fans and bandwagoners who can't even name 3 players, but wear the gear (when they're winning) and always like to brag and get real obnoxious trash talking, then crawl back into the woodwork (or switch to the Raiders) when they lose. I have always said, I've only known 2 real Cowboy fans in my life, I do respect their support for their team (even though I hate it) but not the bandwagoners who have left a bad taste in my mouth, and are 98% of the "Smellboy" fans I have known.

I don't think this phenomenon is unique to the Cowboys, but, it does seem to be more prevalent with bigger name teams, at least in my experience. But, I know a lot more than 2 Cowboy fans, and I live nowhere near Dallas.

Back
Top Bottom