Parcells - ends a long and successful career

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache, I agree with everything you said. No matter what or where I am I'll always be a Montreal Canadiens and SF 49ers fan, in good times and bad. And if neither makes the playoffs or is knocked out early I'll continue watching but just as a fan of the sport.

Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i was an islanders fan at one point, but i gave that upon the discovery that hockey is for communists.

I'm curious to know what you mean by this.

Let me ask you this (all the loyalists):

If you were hired by a team other than your favorite team, would you NOT cheer for your employer (knowing that their is financial reward in the employer's success)? That is how I feel in my situation.

AND, I love travelling and seeing sporting events at different venues. I can't imagine just sitting there like a friggin' log (why the hell would you go then) and not cheering for A TEAM. I end up cheering for either the home town team, or the team that has an indivual athlete I appreciate.

Seriously, what a waste it would be to go to a game and not cheer. LAME!

Call it lame if you will. My point is this-when I go see another team I have no strong feelings for that team. I may know some of the key players but do not know every stat on them like the team I am loyal to. Of course it is enjoyable to go see other teams play (no one would fight that) I stand up and cheer for amazing plays and palyers I am just not going to go out and buy a Rex Grossman jersey b/c the Colts beat the Pats. Nor will I switch the teams I follow and love just b/c I moved to a different city.

I usually find a team to root against, so in fact I will root for a team that isn't one of my favorites. (ala the 2003 NLCS Marlins :giggle: ) Last year's Super Bowl was really the first time I couldn't have cared less who won. :shrug: I don't consider myself a bandwagoner but I don't sit at home and pout when my team doesn't make it. There are plenty of teams I don't like so it's easy to find one to root against.

zoney! said:
I can't imagine just sitting there like a friggin' log (why the hell would you go then) and not cheering for A TEAM. I end up cheering for either the home town team, or the team that has an indivual athlete I appreciate.

I agree Zoney. Who wants to be stuck next to someone who just sits there? Boring and lame!

WildHoneyAlways said:
There are plenty of teams I don't like so it's easy to find one to root against.

That's easier, to find somebody to root AGAINST. Usually when I root FOR a team I don't normally care about, it's because I'm rooting AGAINST a team I hate or for some reason really, really don't want to win. That's what usually happens in Super Bowls when my teams don't make it. If one of my 'hate' teams does, I root against them. If I don't particularly like or hate either team and try to watch it just for fun, it never works. There's always something that happens that will make me pick one or the other before it's over.

I agree Zoney. Who wants to be stuck next to someone who just sits there? Boring and lame!

True! Same goes for rock concerts! Don't you hate getting next to somebody who just folds their arms and shows NO emotion through the entire show and all the songs? :sigh: I think some people are so afraid of making a public ass of themselves they let their inhibitions turn them into logs. Why not just sit home if you're not going to get into it? :shrug:

I wonder if anyone else experiences this: For a game like the upcoming Super Bowl...I do not root for or against either team....have respect for both, I like both coaches, and my wish is to just have a great game, I've no real rooting interest. But, once the game starts, something inside me will pick one team, and I'll root for them...it's almost like some instinct in me says "go Colts" or "go Bears".

I find it hard to attend or watch a game and not root one way or the other....even though the most important thing to me is to see a good game, I still end up rooting for or against someone. Cannot be helped.

And, lastly, if you think one cannot root heavily for 2 teams in one sport, observe me during a Giants or a Steeler game...I'm passionate about both, and no bandwagon jumping or abandoning one team for the other was involved. It's not like I've 2 favorite teams, and, they're the Red Sox and Yankees....Steelers and Giants rarely cross paths, and so there is rarely a conflict. I love both teams, pure and simple, but as I stated earlier, my first and strongest loyalty is to the Steelers. I do know a few people out here that like the Giants and the Dodgers, though, and I want to smack them. :)

No spoken words said:
I wonder if anyone else experiences this:
my wish is to just have a great game, I've no real rooting interest. But, once the game starts, something inside me will pick one team, and I'll root for them..

That's exactly what happens to me, I mentioned it in my above post. Even if I try not to root, and think I don't care, I always end up pulling for one of them before it's over.

And, lastly, if you think one cannot root heavily for 2 teams in one sport, observe me during a Giants or a Steeler game...I'm passionate about both, and no bandwagon jumping or abandoning one team for the other was involved.

Yes, that's how it is for me too. Sometimes it will have to come down to who needs the win more, like, say, if one is out of the playoffs anyway, or wrapped it all up anyway, and the other needs the game to get in, or if one of them wins it would automatically make someone I didn't like get the last playoff spot, something like that would make me decide who to pull for but it's still heart wrenching. It's like having 2 kids up for the same Science Fair award.

zoney! said:
Let me ask you this (all the loyalists):

If you were hired by a team other than your favorite team, would you NOT cheer for your employer (knowing that their is financial reward in the employer's success)? That is how I feel in my situation.

i meant to mention this aspect... i'm a die hard met fan, as we all know. but if tomorrow the yankees or red sox offered me a job that i could make a good living with, i.e. more than i make now, i'd take it in a heart beat, and would obviously want my employer to do well. when you actually work for a team you're not really in the fan category anymore.

AND, I love travelling and seeing sporting events at different venues. I can't imagine just sitting there like a friggin' log (why the hell would you go then) and not cheering for A TEAM. I end up cheering for either the home town team, or the team that has an indivual athlete I appreciate.

i'm not saying i sit there arms crossed when i go to games that my team is not involved... i will cheer the spectacular play (or vice versa the great execution of the simple play)... and if it is in a place where the home crowd is known to be, well, hostile, i certainly won't root vociferously against said home team... i'm not a dummy :wink:

the last celtic game i went to when i was in new hampshire was the magic/celtics... i enjoyed myself, cheered the great plays, but never rooted for any one team... pretty much i spent the entire game with a mission... get patrick ewing's attention (he was on orlando at the time). i succeeded in that mission, but the success ultimately turned to heartbreak when a 7 year old kid reached out and grabbed the wristband that patrick had thrown to me, clutching it at the same time that i grabbed it... not wanting to be "that guy" who ripped the soulvenier away from a little kid, i let him have it.

and yes, it still pisses me off to this day. :mad:

No spoken words said:
I find it hard to attend or watch a game and not root one way or the other....

that's why god invented the spread. :wink:

all jokes aside, i really don't need to have any active interest in a team to sit down and watch a game, even if i don't have any money on the game or anything. if it's a good game, i'm locked in. if it's a bad game, well, that's why god invented beer.

i will root for teams out of spite... i like spite. it's my favorite 'ite. it describes why i rooted so hard against the red sox for so long, just to spite the red sox fans i went to school with. it was fun while it lasted... ahhh memories. :sad:

I go to sporting events all the time where I have no rooting interest....last weekend, went to the UCLA/Arizona Basketball game....and I pretty much did not care who won.....but, something inside me makes me eventually root for someone, it's a reflex more than anything else. But, like you, my main thing is to just enjoy the game, applaud the great plays, etc.

I don't necessarily shun spite. :)

i especially don't need to have a rooting interest in any one team for basketball games

went to another st. john's game tuesday vs. notre dame... was very entertaining, high scoring, good execution, low turnovers... never once rooted for the johnnies or notre dame, but fully enjoyed myself.

the st. john's uconn game a week earlier, however... ugh. cut my eye balls out.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i especially don't need to have a rooting interest in any one team for basketball games

went to another st. john's game tuesday vs. notre dame... was very entertaining, high scoring, good execution, low turnovers... never once rooted for the johnnies or notre dame, but fully enjoyed myself.

the st. john's uconn game a week earlier, however... ugh. cut my eye balls out.

I went to SJU and really wish they'd turn that program around once and for all.....was not that long ago that they went Elite 8 (1999), and now....today, they got waxed by Pitt. Not a surprise, but still. At least Mason's kid is on the team, that's fun. Nice win against ND the other night, though.

Norm Green and his Lone Stars :down:

No spoken words said:
.....but, something inside me makes me eventually root for someone, it's a reflex more than anything else. But, like you, my main thing is to just enjoy the game, applaud the great plays, etc.

I don't necessarily shun spite. :)

Agreed!

I just spent the whole day at (GASP) a synchronized skating event. I had to cheer for someone, right? :uhoh: I picked the teams with the prettiest outfits, of course! :D

A question for the LOYALISTS:

I have noticed that the majority of the loyalists here are fans of teams (and cities) that have not seen a team move from their area (in recent years).

I was a big Minnesota North Stars fan. I was at their last home game in 1993. I still have a place in my heart for the Stars, but it is just not the same. When the Minnesota was awarded a new franchise, I adaopted them as my favorite team (going as far as working for their ticket department part-time so I could see games live).

What would you do if your team left your city? IF the Mets left New York for the 51st state of Puerto Rico, or the Patriots moved to a bigger television market like L.A. - would you maintain this loyalty?

Well, the way I see it...if I could move from NYC and still root for the Yankees or Islanders, then if they moved from NYC I could still root for them. That being said, I don't think I can really say for sure until it happened. Maybe if the Yanks moved, I'd react a lot worse than I think I would and I'd be bitter. I don't really know. I know that a lot of my friends in LA love the Raiders, even though they arrived from another city and eventually went back.

Back
Top Bottom