Pant-y-Blawd Road, Morriston, Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From NationStates:

"I don't care what these so-called scientific studies say," says Elizabeth Shiomi, representing a number of conservative religious organisations. "How can a boy hope to develop properly into a man if he's being brought up by poofs? A father figure is not supposed to behave as if it is 'okay' to be, um, romantically invested in another man - and the same goes for lesbians! Why? Because it is not okay. It'll just give them gay! Think about it: say you have two gay sodding mountain goats - they can't have children because nature did not provide them with the tools and if God wanted gays to have kids then they would have those tools. Don't legalise this blasphemy! Think of the children!"

I was reading it as it was quoted by Ian, so I didn't see that particular line bolded. It just came out of nowhere. A+.

Actually, in relation to that I made a post in LS just then that you may find amusing.

New Zealand: When you want to be ripped off even more than you already are in Australia.

Holy fucking shit.

One of the people on my LJ friends list has become a prostitute.

I'm not kidding.

Holy fucking shit.

Yeah, no kidding. Well, I've gotten a few surprises from friends simply from online updates like that, but... not quite to the extent of prostitution.

Yeah. I think the biggest surprises to date have been the occasional "oh hey yeah and we're getting married, despite the fact we're both only 19, have no idea what we want to do with our lives, and will probably change a lot during uni" sorts of things.

But this, I had to read twice to believe.

I doubt it's anyone I know of? Since I don't really know too many people in your circle, anyway. Was it someone you went to school with, or something?

It's very unfortunate to hear it, in any case.

Last night I discovered about 10 seconds video footage of U2 recording or rehearsing during the JT sessions. That was pretty doparalicious. I couldn't tell what the song was, though.

I doubt it's anyone I know of? Since I don't really know too many people in your circle, anyway. Was it someone you went to school with, or something?

It's very unfortunate to hear it, in any case.

Oh, no, it's just somebody I know online, and not even closely at that - probably haven't spoken directly in over a year.

Seems she figured that she's good at sex and sex pays well, so she'd combine the two.

I want a link, I want to share the lulz.

No, I'm not that careless with people's privacy.

Hey Ax, Ipswich was just mentioned in a book I'm reading - "Blood on the Wattle" by Bruce Elder. It documents some of the worse massacres of Aboriginals in early Australian history. It's eye-opening, to say the least. Definitely worth a look - I'm not sure where you can find it, I got my copy at Tandanya. Should be in a Australian History section in some major stores, though.

I don't think anything actually happened at Ipswich, though. Probably a bogan massacre. The first justifiable massacre... ?

Hey Ax, Ipswich was just mentioned in a book I'm reading - "Blood on the Wattle" by Bruce Elder. It documents some of the worse massacres of Aboriginals in early Australian history. It's eye-opening, to say the least. Definitely worth a look - I'm not sure where you can find it, I got my copy at Tandanya. Should be in a Australian History section in some major stores, though.

I don't think anything actually happened at Ipswich, though. Probably a bogan massacre. The first justifiable massacre... ?

That sounds like it would make for confronting reading. On a ... not really related note, I just started Michael King's history of the Moriori people today. I love how he keeps driving nails through the hearts of all the false and self-serving stories out there about the Moriori that both Pakeha and Maori tell.

As for Ipswich - you know that Simpsons episode where Bart and Milhouse temporarily run Comic Book Guy's shop and find that tape about how Springfield would be nuked? Yeah, Ipswich should take that role for Australia.

That sounds like it would make for confronting reading. On a ... not really related note, I just started Michael King's history of the Moriori people today. I love how he keeps driving nails through the hearts of all the false and self-serving stories out there about the Moriori that both Pakeha and Maori tell.

As for Ipswich - you know that Simpsons episode where Bart and Milhouse temporarily run Comic Book Guy's shop and find that tape about how Springfield would be nuked? Yeah, Ipswich should take that role for Australia.

Oh, it's definitely worth a look.

Well, I guess that's somewhat related in that it's about another Oceanic indigenous population. Sounds like it'd be pretty good reading, I've always wanted to know more about the Moriori.

Haha. Yep, pretty much.

Sorry my reply was so late. I was caught up reading about early Jamaican convicts in Australia.

Oh, it's definitely worth a look.

Well, I guess that's somewhat related in that it's about another Oceanic indigenous population. Sounds like it'd be pretty good reading, I've always wanted to know more about the Moriori.

Haha. Yep, pretty much.

Sorry my reply was so late. I was caught up reading about early Jamaican convicts in Australia.

The story of the Moriori is so depressing. Prior to (re-)encountering the outside world, they managed to live in harmony with an extremely hostile environment. Once they're encountered, nobody sees that they're actually very skillful in their adaptation. Instead, Pakeha just see their impoverishment as proof they are backwards and the least developed people on the planet, while Maori look on them and their pacific social organisation with contempt, as proof they are backwards and the least developed people on the planet.

I'm just organising my external hard drive. I'll soon be taking everything over to the new Mac. Feels kind of weird to leave the PC. It's served me well for five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom