Pago Pago, American Samoa Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... and the giant behemoth 330m Ryungyong hotel which took them 20+ years to build.

And is probably structurally unsound and will never see a guest.

The subway they've built in Pyongyang is fascinating. It's quite possible it doesn't actually work, and the two stations that Westerners are permitted to see (only on guided tours) are basically a show train and nothing more.

I'm tempted to go.

ryugyong-hotel.jpg

And about time ...
north-korea-pyongyang-ryugyong-hotel-20091.jpg

:shrug:

And they have traffic ladies instead of traffic lights. :no:

You familiar with Bhutan? They've always been fairly opposed to modernisation (or at least believe in modernising slowly), but they installed one set of traffic lights in their capital, Thumphu ... the lights weren't popular and have been removed.

Now if you ever want to get your arse kicked at archery, go challenge the Bhutanese.

The subway they've built in Pyongyang is fascinating. It's quite possible it doesn't actually work, and the two stations that Westerners are permitted to see (only on guided tours) are basically a show train and nothing more.

I'm tempted to go.

Yeah, but they still finished it! I think Kim Jong Il should've thought of that before he wasted half the countries money on a damn supertall.

You'd go? Sure ya will. :happy:

I love the North Korean propaganda pictures that depict the Ryungyong hotel as having glass in the windows ... and a few shots of Pyongyang that have actually erased it completely! :lmao:

ESPECIALLY mystical fjord dragons. :yes:

Well, who wouldn't in their position...!

"Oh hai, yes, we've had a think and we rather like the idea of being part of a larger economy now..." :happy:

Yeah I know but Norway are too cool for the EU. :cool:

You familiar with Bhutan? They've always been fairly opposed to modernisation (or at least believe in modernising slowly), but they installed one set of traffic lights in their capital, Thumphu ... the lights weren't popular and have been removed.

Now if you ever want to get your arse kicked at archery, go challenge the Bhutanese.

Say the same for Cuba as well, I suppose. I heard they have a very advanced healthcare system though.

My knowledge of eruptions really doesn't get far beyond Krakatoa, Ruapehu, Taupo, Tarawera, and a passing familiarity with most volcanoes of note that have been active in the last 200 years.

Incidentally, if Tarawera's major eruption in 1886 involved explosive outgassing, it would be ... perfect, given how its name means "the burning vagina".

*somehow missed this*

Oh gawd, fanny farts... :doh:

Yeah, but they still finished it! I think Kim Jong Il should've thought of that before he wasted half the countries money on a damn supertall.

You'd go? Sure ya will. :happy:

Wouldn't quite call that glassless unsound wonder "finished" ...! It's about as finished as a footy game is ten minutes before the siren.

And actually, I reckon North Korea would be an interesting holiday destination. The tour guides are the ones who suffer if anything goes wrong, so you get treated fantastically and are very safe. Of course, you're limited in what you can do, so if you want to travel independently you may have problems ... but I'm just most curious to see the whole charade, and ride some unusual trains and trams while I'm at it! The hassle is getting there. Looks like it's a bit of an awkward foray via China.

I'm tempted to go.

I find it hard to believe
a) that they would go to so much effort, I mean how much more effort would it take to actually build infrastructure? and
b) WHY they would go to so much effort.

</naive>

I love the North Korean propaganda pictures that depict the Ryungyong hotel as having glass in the windows ... and a few shots of Pyongyang that have actually erased it completely! :lmao:

What? They only recently put in the glass facades, that's fact.

pyongyang-traffic.jpg

Hey look this one has an UMBRELLA. MAYBEH IT SHOOTS A DE LASERS!?!?
dprk-traffic-lady.bmp

Wouldn't quite call that glassless unsound wonder "finished" ...! It's about as finished as a footy game is ten minutes before the siren.

And actually, I reckon North Korea would be an interesting holiday destination. The tour guides are the ones who suffer if anything goes wrong, so you get treated fantastically and are very safe. Of course, you're limited in what you can do, so if you want to travel independently you may have problems ... but I'm just most curious to see the whole charade, and ride some unusual trains and trams while I'm at it! The hassle is getting there. Looks like it's a bit of an awkward foray via China.

On it's way to be finished, I guess.

You're the boss.

I saw something in an Oxfam shop that suggests that Bhutan has a policy on happiness.

What? They only recently put in the glass facades, that's fact.

There were propaganda photos in the 1990s depicting it as having glass when, uh, it rather did not.

The current glassing doesn't look entirely complete either ... last I heard, late last year, at least two sides of the hotel are still glassless.

There were propaganda photos in the 1990s depicting it as having glass when, uh, it rather did not.

The current glassing doesn't look entirely complete either ... last I heard, late last year, at least two sides of the hotel are still glassless.

Yeah, true, it spent about 15 years bare and unfinished.

I find it hard to believe
a) that they would go to so much effort, I mean how much more effort would it take to actually build infrastructure? and
b) WHY they would go to so much effort.

</naive>

The subway has at least two lines, which most observers agree exist and at some time carried regular commuters. There is quite good reason to believe some secret lines for political/military use have been built too. However, Westerners have only been allowed access to four stations total (tours go on a short train trip from one station to the next, and at one point they changed the stations used for these trips). Whether the rest of the network is still operative is a matter of debate ... apparently some journalists a few years back managed to sneak away and found the subway derelict and the carriages vandalised. So it may only operate as a sham for tourists, or only in peak hours, or some of the line may have closed - we don't know.

Yeah, true, it spent about 15 years bare and unfinished.

Apparently the development company working on it now reckons they'll complete it and it'll be habited ... ha, I'll believe it when it happens.

Anyway, I'm out for the night. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom