Pago Pago, American Samoa Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wasnt there some theory about yellowstone going off ?

i dunno geology queen , there is alot of seizmic and volcanic activity of late. :shifty: tell us what you know!

Yellowstone is sitting over a fairly active bit of ground, hence all the geysers and pools of boiling mud, and it is possible that it could all erupt one day, but it's been bubbling away for ages without engaging in anything so dramatic. I imagine that if it was going to blow up, we would get a fair bit of warning, since there are so many volcanologists poking at it and measuring things.

BTW Ax, I heard a newsreader on JJJ say "volcano-ologist" today. :doh:

I don't think you could connect earthquakes in Haiti to Iceland's volcanoes, but it's hard to tell what will set something off on the other side of the planet. It could be that the Chile and Haiti earthquakes might have set each other off, in a butterfly-flapping, chain reaction sort of way... Dunno about China, it's a bit far away from everything. Everest probably just grew another foot or something.

It's a dynamic planet... it's not just going to sit here quietly and let us get on with civilisation ;)

As for what it all means... well, to use a term that was heard near a small-town NZ church in a booming, god-like voice, THE END IS NIGH!!

:wink:

i heard "volcano expert" on the news the other night, which i thought was lazy, when they easily could have said volcanologist, but volcano-ologist is just DUMB!
ahh the end has been nigh for years,
and yes shame on us for expecting to be able to get on with civilisation quietly without disruption! i like that these occurences remind us all of how insignificant we are in the scheme of things.

Brokencyde are touring Europe and may end up stuck there if the volcano keeps erupting. :lmao:

Oh my god that's brilliant. :lmao:

Poor Europe, though.

"Get out of here, you horrible band! How did you get popular enough to tour anyway? Here's a plane, off you go."

"But isn't it too dangerous with all the ash in the air?"

"We'll make an exception for you. The pilot is willing to make the supreme sacrifice to stop you from polluting our continent any longer!"

i heard "volcano expert" on the news the other night, which i thought was lazy, when they easily could have said volcanologist, but volcano-ologist is just DUMB!
ahh the end has been nigh for years,
and yes shame on us for expecting to be able to get on with civilisation quietly without disruption! i like that these occurences remind us all of how insignificant we are in the scheme of things.

I could be generous to the newsreader and imagine that she just tripped over a long word and meant to say "volcanologist"... :huh:

Yeah, it's funny what an absurd sense of entitlement people have... expecting volcanoes to lie quiescent and airlines to risk hundreds of lives just so they don't have to rearrange their holiday plans.

Would you believe Brokencyde are touring in some countries U2 aren't? Poor, poor Europe.

Erk, maybe milo and bikkies as the first meal of the day at 2pm was a bad idea.

*has the shakes and a fairly epic sugar high*

Picture Bart and Milhouse with their all-syrup squishie...

What I want to know is what it's like in Iceland right now, whether it's ashy as hell or if they're enjoying clear air while fucking over the continent.

(God I hate how long news websites take to load. I imagine I'd know the answer to this if I had decent Intarwebz.)

What I want to know is what it's like in Iceland right now, whether it's ashy as hell or if they're enjoying clear air while fucking over the continent.

(God I hate how long news websites take to load. I imagine I'd know the answer to this if I had decent Intarwebz.)

i had heard it was clear there and fucked up elsewhere because of the wind direction

They're probably laughing because they got revenge because they lost too much money. Or they just want IN the EU.

(Un?)fortunately for you, they are not touring near Belarus!

CLOSE THE BORDER!!

</anecdote my dad tells about a Scottish man he met once that has a random application to the current conversation>

Brokencyde on Belarus:

"Eww, I'm not going to a communist country, I don't wanna get killed ..."

Poor unfortunate places being raped by the "2Drunk2Fuck Tour":

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Cologne, Germany
Stuttgart, Germany
Milano, Milan, Italy
Roma, Rome, Italy
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Wien, Vienna, Austria
Praha, Czech Republic
München, Germany
Brussels, Belgium
Eindhoven, Netherlands
Paris, France

As per Iceland.org:

Travellers in Iceland are safe and sound
The Icelandic Tourist Board held a meeting at noon today, 16 April 2010, whereupon it was decided to issue a press release stressing that day-to-day life in Iceland is just as usual, even though the volcanic eruption in Eyjafjallajökull glacier on the south coast of Iceland has made a profound impact and generated dangers in a specified area. In other parts of the country, Icelanders’ daily life is proceeding quite normally.
Even though the eruption in Eyjafjallajökull is relatively small, airborne volcanic ash has dispersed over a wide area and disrupted air travel in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom