Ozzfest debacle (Osbournes vs. Iron Maiden)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
as reported by blabbermouth.net:

OZZFEST, Hang Your Head In Shame: The Backstage Perspective - Aug. 22, 2005

The manager of a well-known heavy metal band (*NOT* IRON MAIDEN) who attended this past weekend's Ozzfest show at the Hyundai Pavillion in Devore, California has submitted the following first-hand account of the evening that will surely go down as one of the most shameful moments in recent rock history (NOTE: at his request, the author's identity is being protected by BLABBERMOUTH.NET):

"Saturday night's Ozzfest at the Hyundai Pavillion near Los Angeles was a debacle on so many levels, I am still in shock as I write this. As a fan of many of the bands [Saturday] night, one can only hope this was an isolated incident, but sadly, it most likely wasn't. As many of you have heard already, co-headliners and metal legends IRON MAIDEN were pelted with eggs, bottle caps, beer cups, spit on, had people from the Ozzfest camp talking over the PA during their set, had 'Eddie' delayed from his onstage entrance, had members of the [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] entourage rush the stage with American flags, and had the PA intentionally turned off over six times, all by the OSBOURNE CAMP.

"While it's still unclear as to the exact reasons why the terrorizing started (rumors abounded as to why, with everything from Bruce calling out Ozzy in the U.K. rock magazine Kerrang! on the widely known fact that Ozzy uses a teleprompter, to various vague references said on stage about a 'reality show' at an Ozzfest stop in Detroit), one thing was very clear: The whole thing stunk, and left me, and nearly all of the 40,000+ heavy metal fans in attendance angered and disappointed. Not that behind the scenes bickering or magazine trash-talking is anything new to rock fans, but the shocking lack of professionalism at one of the largest stops in North America in front of 40,000+ spectators, at the hand of the Osbournes was nothing short of disgusting.

"It all began early in the afternoon, when many side stage bands were openly approached in clear view of everyone backstage by Sharon and Kelly Osbourne to 'join them in throwing eggs at IRON MAIDEN this evening.' All the bands were encouraged to rally the other side-stage bands to do so. Members and/or friends of the hardcore band BURY YOUR DEAD were seen actively trying to encourage other side-stage bands to 'join in the fun.' Thankfully, many side stage bands angrily declined.

"Later that evening, as IRON MAIDEN came on stage, their intro was interrupted by [BLACK LABEL SOCIETY] hanger-on and biker wannabe Big Dave, who was at the soundboard loudly chanting 'Ozzy, Ozzy' over the PA. MAIDEN opened their set and the entire band was pelted from the front row with eggs, beer, beer cups, spit, and various other objects by an Ozzfest-credentialed, bandana-wearing, Osbourne entourage. IRON MAIDEN, ever the professionals, continued through their set, and by the time they launched into their second song, 'The Trooper', Bruce changed into a civil war-era, red coat and began waving a Union Jack — British flag. Then, someone in, or associated with, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY tried to rush the stage waving and American Flag with the words 'Don't fuck with Ozzy' scrawled across his bare chest. He was tackled and beaten by MAIDEN crew and promptly thrown off stage.

"As 'The Trooper' ended, frontman Bruce Dickinson, with characteristic spunk, launched into a scathing attack on the people terrorizing his band, calling them 'a sorry excuse for an Ozzy Osbourne fan,' and wondering aloud how, 'three dozen eggs could get snuck into the front row of Ozzfest by people with Ozzfest laminates?' Though he never named names, all in attendance could understand who he was referring to. Nicko McBrain ran up to the front asking Bruce to hold on while he cleaned egg off his drums. He then stated the the next song wouldn't be heard on 'Your local cocksucking corporate radio station, wouldn't be seen on MTV anymore, and sure as hell wouldn't be played on a fucking reality TV show,' met by a huge roar from the crowd.

"During the song 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', Bruce, after only the first two lines, stopped singing and ran to the front row, firing back at his terrorizers, saying 'That asswipe right there, with the curly hair, the fucking glasses, and Ozzfest laminate throw his fucking ass out of here right now. It's gonna take more than eggs to stop IRON MAIDEN, and if it wasn't for a lawsuit, I'd rip your fucking head off right now, you piece of shit!!!!' He had the various attackers ejected and continued with a blistering version of the song until right before the big sing long at the end, the PA was INTENTIONALLY cut off. When it came back, Bruce launched into another scathing attack saying that they were supposed to play a shorter set than normal today, and only play 55 minutes, but IRON MAIDEN can't drive 55, or play 55, and were going to play our whole fucking set tonight.

"The band endured six more 'PA cuts,' including having the power to their amps turned off at one point. When the PA would come back on, they would simply launch into the next IRON MAIDEN classic, never missing a beat. Frankly, with every PA cut, the band just got meaner and meaner, playing each new song with an anger and a fire that was at times, simply astonishing to watch. Bruce began the introduction to IRON MAIDEN with a speech about 'Your constitution has something about 'We The People.' Well let me tell you, the only reason we are up here tolerating this bullshit, is because of you people. You have been amazing Glen Helen, and there are A LOT of IRON MAIDEN fans here tonight,' eliciting a huge roar from the crowd. He continued, 'It's gonna take more than eggs to stop IRON MAIDEN, NOTHING is going to come between us and our fans, and it will be death before dishonor, this is 'Iron fucking Maiden',' which was greeted by a thunderous applause. During 'Iron Maiden', longtime MAIDEN mascot Eddie was purposely delayed from making his entrance, making a brief appearance at the end, and one could only wonder as to how. As the band closed there set with a furious version of 'Sanctuary', the PA was again cut only to have Big Dave repeatedly chant 'Ozzy' over the PA, while the band tried to say goodbye to their fans. The now-furious crowd angrily drowned him out with chants of 'MAIDEN, MAIDEN.'

"Then, not 10 seconds after MAIDEN left the stage, Sharon Osbourne walked on stage and predictably, tried to give MAIDEN some fake, half-hearted praise about how they'd like to 'thank IRON MAIDEN,' and what a wonderful band IRON MAIDEN are, and how their crew were 'fantastic,' then sneering, 'But Bruce Dickinson is a prick.' The entire crowd, now fed up with the entire affair, began loudly booing her, pelting her with beer cups, and yelling 'bitch.' She tried to carry on, adding that 'Bruce had disrespected Ozzfest,' only to be drowned out by an ocean of boos, and soaked with beer. She slammed the microphone down and stormed off stage. Many in the crowd, fed up with what they had just witnessed, especially considering that many had come solely for MAIDEN, and paid upwards of $150 to do so, left in droves. SABBATH played to maybe half the audience that was there prior, and seemed stagnate compared to the band preceding them. As a huge fan of SABBATH, I honestly couldn't stand to watch them.

"I've seen IRON MAIDEN probably 10 times in my life, and frankly this was the very best IRON MAIDEN show I've had the pleasure of witnessing. You DON'T want to fuck with IRON MAIDEN. The more the Osbournes tried to fuck with them, the better they got! IRON MAIDEN was on fucking overdrive! Considering the amount of terrorizing and intimidation that IRON MAIDEN had to deal with at the hands of the Osbournes and the other side stage and main stage bands participating, they were the consummate professionals. They had the crowd in the palms of their hands, and IRON MAIDEN and Bruce Dickinson proved beyond a shadow of a doubt why they are the greatest metal band on earth right now, and quite possibly, the classiest, too.

"The Osbournes are drunk with power. Shame on them, and shame on ANY of the bands that participated in the terrorizing and intimidation. It was disgusting display, that NO BAND should have had to endure, but especially a legend like IRON MAIDEN. That fact that it happened in front of 40,000+ people, at a Clear Channel-sponsored event, while Hyundai Pavilion Security turned a blind eye and let the Osbourne camp pelt one of the main headlining bands with eggs, beer, and spit, was simply inexcusable.

"I will proudly be attending next year's MAIDEN fest, and as much as I hate to say it, I can't bring myself to spend another dime on the Osbournes.

"Ozzfest, hang your head in shame."

Incredible... :no:

Yeah, I think Sharon and her offspring are the worst thing to happen to rock music in a long time. No wonder Ozzy is back on drugs.

That is just completely rude.

I'm not a fan of Iron Maiden (really of any metal), but I'm glad the performed the best show they could for their fans. :yes:

Wow, I'm impressed with how Iron Maiden dealt with the entire disgusting, pathetic situation. :up: to them.

Lila64 said:
"Then, not 10 seconds after MAIDEN left the stage, Sharon Osbourne walked on stage and predictably, tried to give MAIDEN some fake, half-hearted praise about how they'd like to 'thank IRON MAIDEN,' and what a wonderful band IRON MAIDEN are, and how their crew were 'fantastic,' then sneering, 'But Bruce Dickinson is a prick.' The entire crowd, now fed up with the entire affair, began loudly booing her, pelting her with beer cups, and yelling 'bitch.' She tried to carry on, adding that 'Bruce had disrespected Ozzfest,' only to be drowned out by an ocean of boos, and soaked with beer. She slammed the microphone down and stormed off stage.

...so she's all pissed off now, even though she threw eggs at other people? :huh:. Granted, I don't think two wrongs really make a right here, but at the same time, Sharon, if you're gonna throw things at other people while they're on stage, don't get all ticked if they do it to you in return.

These people are trying to put on a show. It's rather hard to do that when you've got objects, and dangerous ones at that, flying at you, forgive them if they don't find it as funny as those doing the throwing do. Really immature on Sharon's part :down:. And those in the audience who did the throwing weren't all that much better.

Thank god I haven't heard of this kind of activity at the shows of the artists I like. Really scary to think that this crap can happen, and really sad to see so many people acting so immaturely. But I agree with the others that Iron Maiden seemed to handle things pretty well, so yay for them :up:. Feel bad for the fans who just wanted to come and have a good time, too-talk about a waste of money and time.

Angela

Last edited:
What else would you expect from a woman who agrees to have her family's private homelife whored to the world for publicity and $$? It's still pretty shocking, though. I thought even Sharon had higher standards than this.

Bono's shades said:
What else would you expect from a woman who agrees to have her family's private homelife whored to the world for publicity and $$? It's still pretty shocking, though. I thought even Sharon had higher standards than this.

Sharon Osbourne's higher standard: $$$$$$

What a disgrace. She has a beef with some of the musicians who played on Ozzy's first 5 or 6 solo records, so when they remastered them (for the second time, no less) she replaced their backing tracks and more or less ruined the songs themselves.

Sad...:sad:

:shocked:

I'm not gonna purchase a single item audio/video or merchandise related to the Osbournes or Ozzy.. not that I ever have, anyway! Oh... and I'm gonna get the next Maiden album at full price, just to show support.

:tsk: at this!

This is not just horrible but ridiculous. As low as Sharon can go this is certainly unexpected as she sometimes seems to make some sense. Fucking sad. I feel for Ozzy. That said you got to understand that Bruce Dickenson is one of the most arrogant and disrespectful singers in the world. He has been like this all of his career. He disrespected Ozzy on his own festival. If he hates Ozzy and his family so much he shouldn't have signed for Ozzfest. He is the one who has always been drunk with power and he has showed it once again for all the world to see. The rest of the Iron Maiden guys are great people who never really caused any problem with anyone throughout their career. By the way this writer is totally biased.

were Maiden supposed to be on the whole Ozzfest tour to begin with, or did they come on board to help when Ozzy needed a big band to headline because his voice was shot & he couldn't perform? I thought I read that at one show Ozzy dropped the mike on stage and stormed off because his voice was gone & he couldn't sing any longer, and that this was the last Ozzfest tour he'd perform on. Maybe I'll research this with some friends... :hmm:

As for Sharon - all I have to say is: KARMA

I was thinking about posting this when the news came out on Sunday. But was too lazy :wink:
Yea, Iron Maiden got the shaft, it personally Sharon had something to do in this.
Plus, Ozzfest isn't was used to be prices went up way high and it became too mainstream (ahh the fun years :( ) Anyways.....

Reggie Thee Dog said:
She has a beef with some of the musicians who played on Ozzy's first 5 or 6 solo records, so when they remastered them (for the second time, no less) she replaced their backing tracks and more or less ruined the songs themselves.

That's...really lame on her part.

Geez. Remind me to never get in a beef with her :huh:.

Angela

The Osbournes are sellout bitches who have been sucking corporate you-know-what for years. Old Black Sabbath and Ozzy are good, but they've fallen pretty far in terms of quality. Kelly Osbourne is one of the biggest wastes of human existence I've ever had the displeasure to witness. The fact that they would be so petty against a band that truly respects its fanbase and has more integrity then they could ever hope to possess is just pathetic.

You'd think after surviving a cancer scare Sharon would have a different outlook on life, but apparently not. Maybe she'll make herself feel better by having some more plastic surgery.

Iron Maiden will continue to be the true champions of heavy metal, even over greedy assholes like Metallica.

This all sounds a bit like a professional wrestling skit to me. Longtime hero gets too old to impress, turns and does nasty things to young(er) heroes who overcome and conquer evil. Iron maiden will probably 'kick' Sabath off their own tour, and rake in the dough as bashers of evil. Or as masters of evil, as the case may be.
616:wink:

Here's the post I found as a follow up. On the forum on this site, she was getting hammered.
(And a side note, I had a friend who was thinking about going, but the only reason would have been to see MAIDEN. No one is interested in Ozzy/Sabbath as much. Plus the play in an awful hot place, where it can be windy, and my friend said if it's windy, the sound is blown as well, making it even shittier)

Sharon Osbourne has issued the following "open letter" to IRON MAIDEN manager Rod Smallwood:

"Rod,

"I found your statement to be completely void of the facts that led up to Saturday's show. Your press release was written like an old-time '80s manager, trying to use every opportunity to try and sell the record and the upcoming shows instead of just dealing with the truth.

"These are the facts:

"You claim to have been in the business for 30 years and have been to hundreds of gigs, but can you tell me how many times you have heard of an opening band talking sh*t about the headliner during their set and getting away with it? Not only is Ozzy the headliner, but he is also the man who is paying your band $185,000 a night. We gave IRON MAIDEN a chance to play to the biggest audiences they have ever played to in the U.S.A. We accommodated them with their stage set and at the band's request we even scoured the audience for people wearing IRON MAIDEN t-shirts and brought them down front during their set to make them feel more comfortable. Tell me, what other headliner would do that? Unfortunately those gestures were completely lost on Bruce Dickinson who for over 20 shows continually berated Ozzy and Ozzfest during his set.

"Over the last 10 years of Ozzfest, we have worked with over 200 bands. None of them were ever disrespectful to Ozzy or any of the other bands on the tour. But for 20 shows we were forced to hear Dickinson's nightly outbursts from the stage: 'When we come back to America, we'll be back with a proper sound system,' or "We won't be playing the same old songs every night (like SABBATH),' 'We don't need a teleprompter (like Ozzy)' and 'We don't need a reality show to be legit (again, like Ozzy).' Night after night we heard his complaints from the stage about how 'corporate' the venues were and how 'outrageous' the ticket prices were. Strangely enough, if you want to get a general admission ticket to stand in a field to see IRON MAIDEN at Reading this weekend it's going to cost you over $120. I would say that's very pricey, wouldn't you?

"When an artist comes on stage and says he's not playing the 55 minutes that he was allotted and that he is going to play for as long as he wants (cutting into SABBATH's set), I'm not going to let that happen. Dickinson was under the delusion that the 46,000 people in San Bernardino had come only to see IRON MAIDEN. He even proclaimed 'This is not the Ozzfest, This is Maidenfest.' I guess no one told him that we have an audience of 45,000 to 53,000 people every year in San Bernardino.

"Here's another fact for you. Bruce Dickinson's own band was embarrassed by him. IRON MAIDEN leader, Steve Harris, even came to Ozzy's dressing room to apologize to Ozzy for Bruce's behavior before MAIDEN took the stage in San Bernardino.

"It's shameful that Dickinson felt he had the right to air his issues publicly onstage every night as a way to boost his own ego. Dickinson never once came up to Ozzy and me to voice any concerns. He certainly had the opportunity to do so every night. If he wasn't able to show us that courtesy then why should I give him the respect to air my grievances with him in private? Ozzy's only interaction with Dickinson was on the first night of the tour. Ozzy, being the true gentleman that he is, passed Bruce in the hall and said 'Good luck and have a great show.' Unfortunately Dickinson felt the need to turn his back to Ozzy and walked away. Frankly, Dickinson got what he deserved. We had to listen to his bullsh*t for five straight weeks. He only had to suffer a couple of eggs on the head.

"On closing, yes, I did cut IRON MAIDEN's sound. This is the way I look at it: Ozzfest is our tour. We built it into something that's lasted 10 years now. We've been responsible for breaking many new bands and resurrecting the careers of former superstars. Part of our success stems from the fact that when a band is on Ozzfest we treat them with nothing but kindness and respect just as if we had invited them into our home. You can ask all of the bands who have been on the tour. They all describe it as the 'ultimate summer camp.' It's like one big family. Unfortunately Dickinson doesn't have the manners to realize that when you are invited into someone's home, are seated at their dinner table, are eating their food and drinking their wine, you shouldn't talk disrespectfully about them (Ozzy, BLACK SABBATH and Ozzfest), otherwise you just might get your ass handed to you. Every action has a reaction. Was Dickinson so naïve to think that I was going to let him get away with talking sh*t about my family night after night? I don't think he realizes who he's dealing with. I will not endure behavior like this from anyone.

"I know you would love to keep talking about this because this is the most press that IRON MAIDEN has had in the U.S. in twenty years, but let's move on, shall we?

"Sincerely,

"The 'Real' Iron Maiden

"Sharon Osbourne"

Fuck u Sharon! I LOVE Sabbath/Ozzy AND Maiden, but no way was this cool. And fuckin Big Dave - who the fuck does he think he is?! Fucking moron.

Brucie Dick - forget what that fake fuckin plastic shit says - u are the best my son!:up: :bow:

Lila64 said:
"I know you would love to keep talking about this because this is the most press that IRON MAIDEN has had in the U.S. in twenty years, but let's move on, shall we?

"Sincerely,

"The 'Real' Iron Maiden

"Sharon Osbourne"

fing37.gif

I think it's obvious on Sharon's statement of what Bruce Dickinson did that he is an asshole and the rest of the band are a bunch of nice guys, as I said before. BD always did this kind of shit. For some reason he thinks he is King Metal or something and can do anything that he wants. He is always bashing bands. I don’t think it’s hard to understand in fact, IT'S VERY CLEAR: for no reason at all, he disrespected Ozzy and his family at their own Ozzfest. He got what he deserved, except for a good beating. Why the fuck would anyone defend that prick?

You can hate Ozzy, Black Sabbath and The Osbournes ad I can totally understand that. But Bruce Dickinson has less class than sewer rat. It’s fucking sad to see a man at forty something acting like a 14 year old brat.

whichever way you look at it, Sharon Osbourne is a waste of space who needs to be dealt with properly, probably with the occassional 'five accross the eyes' to get the point across...

MAIDEN :rockon:

Bruce Dickinson may be an arrogant jerk, but does that really excuse Osbourne and her clan acting like schoolchildren? Throwing eggs and bottles? Sending people up on stage? That's ridiculous. Turn the sound off, fine. That's their perrogative. It's also understandable if they withhold some of the ticket revenues from Maiden because of Bruce's antics. But to take it out on the band like that, while they're performing...completely unprofessional.

I'm interested in hearing Bruce's side of it, as it seems really odd that someone would do all that unprovoked after being invited on a tour.

Regardless, this whole incident is still going to leave Maiden looking battle-scarred and legendary. The Osbournes are still washed-up media whores.

Aardvark747 said:
...bit like Sharon calling herself the 'most powerful woman in metal'...:tsk:

which is why she's currently judging a poor excuse for a saturday night TALENT show on British TV...? :eyebrow:

I agree the egg throwing thing is a bit stupid - if Bruce was such a cockhead - kick him and Maiden off the tour. I'm sure Marilyn Manson or someone else could have stepped in for a dozen shows...

I just dont get why they allowed it to go on.

this is an excerpt from an interview:

The U.K.'s The Sun Online paper spoke to IRON MAIDEN vocalist Bruce Dickinson about the group's ill-fated final Ozzfest performance in San Berardino and their future plans. Read on:

The Sun Online: Ozzfest, Reading and Leeds are all about new fans. Why are they important?

Bruce Dickinson: "People who are as old as I am are generally not that fun to play to. I know there'll be people reading this saying 'It's not true,' but 47-year-olds don't rock like 15-year-olds. They go absolutely mental and that's what keeps us going. We are playing songs approaching 25 years old and yet we have the youngest audience."

The Sun Online: So what happened when you went on stage at Ozzfest?

Bruce Dickinson: "We were hit by a co-ordinated barrage of bottle tops, lighters and eggs from a certain section at the front! Then the power for the PA and backline was completely pulled three or four times during songs. The band held it all together incredibly though and we just got really pumped up. It ended up being an amazing show. MAIDEN can pretty much deal with anything. We don’t get fazed too easily."

The Sun Online: Who do you think was behind it all?

Bruce Dickinson: "Everyone knows it's Sharon Osbourne. It's certainly not Ozzy or SABBATH — they have too much class to condone stunts like that. She hates me for making remarks about reality TV. I hate reality TV. People should get off their arses and do stuff and not be so voyeuristic."

The Sun Online: Her stunts seemed to backfire as you played a magnificent set and soon after, thousands walked out in disgust?

Bruce Dickinson: "We left for the airport pretty well straight after we came off but we could tell there were a lot of disgusted fans who had paid good money to see us. The audience was incredibly behind us all the way and they really lifted us. If they hadn't been happy, there may have been a riot as those fans were really disgusted with the cowardly attacks."

Back
Top Bottom