Ozzfest debacle (Osbournes vs. Iron Maiden) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
She has a beef with some of the musicians who played on Ozzy's first 5 or 6 solo records, so when they remastered them (for the second time, no less) she replaced their backing tracks and more or less ruined the songs themselves.
That's...really lame on her part.

Geez. Remind me to never get in a beef with her .

Angela

Old 08-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:19 PM
The Osbournes are sellout bitches who have been sucking corporate you-know-what for years. Old Black Sabbath and Ozzy are good, but they've fallen pretty far in terms of quality. Kelly Osbourne is one of the biggest wastes of human existence I've ever had the displeasure to witness. The fact that they would be so petty against a band that truly respects its fanbase and has more integrity then they could ever hope to possess is just pathetic.

You'd think after surviving a cancer scare Sharon would have a different outlook on life, but apparently not. Maybe she'll make herself feel better by having some more plastic surgery.

Iron Maiden will continue to be the true champions of heavy metal, even over greedy assholes like Metallica.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:34 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:19 PM
This all sounds a bit like a professional wrestling skit to me. Longtime hero gets too old to impress, turns and does nasty things to young(er) heroes who overcome and conquer evil. Iron maiden will probably 'kick' Sabath off their own tour, and rake in the dough as bashers of evil. Or as masters of evil, as the case may be.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:19 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Here's the post I found as a follow up. On the forum on this site, she was getting hammered.
(And a side note, I had a friend who was thinking about going, but the only reason would have been to see MAIDEN. No one is interested in Ozzy/Sabbath as much. Plus the play in an awful hot place, where it can be windy, and my friend said if it's windy, the sound is blown as well, making it even shittier)

Sharon Osbourne has issued the following "open letter" to IRON MAIDEN manager Rod Smallwood:

"Rod,

"I found your statement to be completely void of the facts that led up to Saturday's show. Your press release was written like an old-time '80s manager, trying to use every opportunity to try and sell the record and the upcoming shows instead of just dealing with the truth.

"These are the facts:

"You claim to have been in the business for 30 years and have been to hundreds of gigs, but can you tell me how many times you have heard of an opening band talking sh*t about the headliner during their set and getting away with it? Not only is Ozzy the headliner, but he is also the man who is paying your band $185,000 a night. We gave IRON MAIDEN a chance to play to the biggest audiences they have ever played to in the U.S.A. We accommodated them with their stage set and at the band's request we even scoured the audience for people wearing IRON MAIDEN t-shirts and brought them down front during their set to make them feel more comfortable. Tell me, what other headliner would do that? Unfortunately those gestures were completely lost on Bruce Dickinson who for over 20 shows continually berated Ozzy and Ozzfest during his set.

"Over the last 10 years of Ozzfest, we have worked with over 200 bands. None of them were ever disrespectful to Ozzy or any of the other bands on the tour. But for 20 shows we were forced to hear Dickinson's nightly outbursts from the stage: 'When we come back to America, we'll be back with a proper sound system,' or "We won't be playing the same old songs every night (like SABBATH),' 'We don't need a teleprompter (like Ozzy)' and 'We don't need a reality show to be legit (again, like Ozzy).' Night after night we heard his complaints from the stage about how 'corporate' the venues were and how 'outrageous' the ticket prices were. Strangely enough, if you want to get a general admission ticket to stand in a field to see IRON MAIDEN at Reading this weekend it's going to cost you over $120. I would say that's very pricey, wouldn't you?

"When an artist comes on stage and says he's not playing the 55 minutes that he was allotted and that he is going to play for as long as he wants (cutting into SABBATH's set), I'm not going to let that happen. Dickinson was under the delusion that the 46,000 people in San Bernardino had come only to see IRON MAIDEN. He even proclaimed 'This is not the Ozzfest, This is Maidenfest.' I guess no one told him that we have an audience of 45,000 to 53,000 people every year in San Bernardino.

"Here's another fact for you. Bruce Dickinson's own band was embarrassed by him. IRON MAIDEN leader, Steve Harris, even came to Ozzy's dressing room to apologize to Ozzy for Bruce's behavior before MAIDEN took the stage in San Bernardino.

"It's shameful that Dickinson felt he had the right to air his issues publicly onstage every night as a way to boost his own ego. Dickinson never once came up to Ozzy and me to voice any concerns. He certainly had the opportunity to do so every night. If he wasn't able to show us that courtesy then why should I give him the respect to air my grievances with him in private? Ozzy's only interaction with Dickinson was on the first night of the tour. Ozzy, being the true gentleman that he is, passed Bruce in the hall and said 'Good luck and have a great show.' Unfortunately Dickinson felt the need to turn his back to Ozzy and walked away. Frankly, Dickinson got what he deserved. We had to listen to his bullsh*t for five straight weeks. He only had to suffer a couple of eggs on the head.

"On closing, yes, I did cut IRON MAIDEN's sound. This is the way I look at it: Ozzfest is our tour. We built it into something that's lasted 10 years now. We've been responsible for breaking many new bands and resurrecting the careers of former superstars. Part of our success stems from the fact that when a band is on Ozzfest we treat them with nothing but kindness and respect just as if we had invited them into our home. You can ask all of the bands who have been on the tour. They all describe it as the 'ultimate summer camp.' It's like one big family. Unfortunately Dickinson doesn't have the manners to realize that when you are invited into someone's home, are seated at their dinner table, are eating their food and drinking their wine, you shouldn't talk disrespectfully about them (Ozzy, BLACK SABBATH and Ozzfest), otherwise you just might get your ass handed to you. Every action has a reaction. Was Dickinson so naïve to think that I was going to let him get away with talking sh*t about my family night after night? I don't think he realizes who he's dealing with. I will not endure behavior like this from anyone.

"I know you would love to keep talking about this because this is the most press that IRON MAIDEN has had in the U.S. in twenty years, but let's move on, shall we?

"Sincerely,

"The 'Real' Iron Maiden

"Sharon Osbourne"
Old 08-26-2005, 06:23 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:19 AM
Fuck u Sharon! I LOVE Sabbath/Ozzy AND Maiden, but no way was this cool. And fuckin Big Dave - who the fuck does he think he is?! Fucking moron.

Brucie Dick - forget what that fake fuckin plastic shit says - u are the best my son!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
"I know you would love to keep talking about this because this is the most press that IRON MAIDEN has had in the U.S. in twenty years, but let's move on, shall we?

"Sincerely,

"The 'Real' Iron Maiden

"Sharon Osbourne"
Old 08-26-2005, 08:23 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:19 AM
I think it's obvious on Sharon's statement of what Bruce Dickinson did that he is an asshole and the rest of the band are a bunch of nice guys, as I said before. BD always did this kind of shit. For some reason he thinks he is King Metal or something and can do anything that he wants. He is always bashing bands. I don’t think it’s hard to understand in fact, IT'S VERY CLEAR: for no reason at all, he disrespected Ozzy and his family at their own Ozzfest. He got what he deserved, except for a good beating. Why the fuck would anyone defend that prick?

You can hate Ozzy, Black Sabbath and The Osbournes ad I can totally understand that. But Bruce Dickinson has less class than sewer rat. It’s fucking sad to see a man at forty something acting like a 14 year old brat.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:19 PM
whichever way you look at it, Sharon Osbourne is a waste of space who needs to be dealt with properly, probably with the occassional 'five accross the eyes' to get the point across...

MAIDEN
Old 08-26-2005, 09:08 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
For some reason he thinks he is King Metal or something
...bit like Sharon calling herself the 'most powerful woman in metal'...
Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Bruce Dickinson may be an arrogant jerk, but does that really excuse Osbourne and her clan acting like schoolchildren? Throwing eggs and bottles? Sending people up on stage? That's ridiculous. Turn the sound off, fine. That's their perrogative. It's also understandable if they withhold some of the ticket revenues from Maiden because of Bruce's antics. But to take it out on the band like that, while they're performing...completely unprofessional.

I'm interested in hearing Bruce's side of it, as it seems really odd that someone would do all that unprovoked after being invited on a tour.

Regardless, this whole incident is still going to leave Maiden looking battle-scarred and legendary. The Osbournes are still washed-up media whores.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:19 AM
I'm going with Laz here. I'd like to hear Bruce's version. I don't trust that Sharon Osbourne.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747
...bit like Sharon calling herself the 'most powerful woman in metal'...
which is why she's currently judging a poor excuse for a saturday night TALENT show on British TV...?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:52 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

And still no word from the Ozzman himself
Old 08-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #29
War Child

I agree the egg throwing thing is a bit stupid - if Bruce was such a cockhead - kick him and Maiden off the tour. I'm sure Marilyn Manson or someone else could have stepped in for a dozen shows...

I just dont get why they allowed it to go on.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

this is an excerpt from an interview:

The U.K.'s The Sun Online paper spoke to IRON MAIDEN vocalist Bruce Dickinson about the group's ill-fated final Ozzfest performance in San Berardino and their future plans. Read on:

The Sun Online: Ozzfest, Reading and Leeds are all about new fans. Why are they important?

Bruce Dickinson: "People who are as old as I am are generally not that fun to play to. I know there'll be people reading this saying 'It's not true,' but 47-year-olds don't rock like 15-year-olds. They go absolutely mental and that's what keeps us going. We are playing songs approaching 25 years old and yet we have the youngest audience."

The Sun Online: So what happened when you went on stage at Ozzfest?

Bruce Dickinson: "We were hit by a co-ordinated barrage of bottle tops, lighters and eggs from a certain section at the front! Then the power for the PA and backline was completely pulled three or four times during songs. The band held it all together incredibly though and we just got really pumped up. It ended up being an amazing show. MAIDEN can pretty much deal with anything. We don’t get fazed too easily."

The Sun Online: Who do you think was behind it all?

Bruce Dickinson: "Everyone knows it's Sharon Osbourne. It's certainly not Ozzy or SABBATH — they have too much class to condone stunts like that. She hates me for making remarks about reality TV. I hate reality TV. People should get off their arses and do stuff and not be so voyeuristic."

The Sun Online: Her stunts seemed to backfire as you played a magnificent set and soon after, thousands walked out in disgust?

Bruce Dickinson: "We left for the airport pretty well straight after we came off but we could tell there were a lot of disgusted fans who had paid good money to see us. The audience was incredibly behind us all the way and they really lifted us. If they hadn't been happy, there may have been a riot as those fans were really disgusted with the cowardly attacks."