Overrated Beatles songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Long and Winding Road (I hate most, if not all, songs that are set at that sort of slow tempo, I don't know why but I do. :shrug: ) and Strawberry Fields Forever.

And to comment on The Beatles being overrated full stop thing:

My main problem with The Beatles is that they have been touted for decades are the best band ever by pretty everyone who's anyone. Therefore whenever I listen to Beatles' songs I'm not listening to them as I would any other band; I'm listening for something awe-inspiringly amazing, musical perfection etc. With such pressure how can Beatles's songs possibly be as good as when people were hearing them for the first time with little or no expectations of them?

That said, they have done some fantastic songs, but I don't know, I want something more before I proclaim them 'best band ever'.

Aah, but that's where you've got it all wrong, you've got more and more every time you turn on the radio or pop in a CD. Every genre since 1967 has been influenced by the Beatles in some fashion or another.

The Beatles and George Martin were pioneers in the field of recording sounds and making music out of them. That just doesn't translate today when you listen to Eminem, or Garbage or U2 and then sit back and listen to "She Loves You" or "Love Me Do". Great songs both, but oh so primitive, done before the Beatles began using the studio as a canvas and painting beautiful pictures on them.

Also music is subjective and you need to listen and listen and listen to pick out the subtle beauty of certain songs. "Eleanor Rigby" is a song with a repetitive melody that just seeps into your pores and subconscious and becomes more than just the word and music you hear. You can almost feel the ache of the subjects being sung about, even though they were just a figment of McCartney's imagination.

Prepared to be blown away in time, not on first listen. And I proclaim them "BEST BAND EVER". Because they were a band before there really were bands.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

How can you overrate a song that is so juvenile? I don't mean that in a negative way, just telling it like it is with that song. It's a kiddy song at worst.

I just get bored with the we all live in a yellow submarines.

She Loves You

I'm more of a fan of the trippy, stoned Beatles than the Mop-Top, early 60s Beatles. And She Loves You is just downright repititive and annoying to me

INDY500 said:
"Baby You Can Drive My Car"

Truly cringe worthy, even the best have bad days at the office.

What the hell? that is classic mid-60s pop-rock..great tune and raucous vocal.

Jack, no doubt about it, The Beatles could play glorious 60's garage-rock with the best 'em. I just never cared for the lyrics of Drive my Car.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Is thread about annoying Beatles' songs or overrated ones? Or did it all get mashed into one?:eyebrow:

Hopefully, it's still about overrated ones. I think the best choices so far are "Hey Jude", "The Long and Winding Road" and "Yesterday". These songs still get massive airplay today, at the expense of some of those listed over in the underrated thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom