Overall Comparison Of The Quality Of Popular Music, 1991-2006 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Axver - High School Musical was a made-for-TV musical on the Disney channel that's become a HUGE pop-culture phenom over here amongst the young set.

Out of curiosity, I got it from Netflix to see what all the fuss was about. I found it charming.

The Pussycat Dolls are the latest act to dress like tarts and dance suggestively and put out annoying songs.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Popular? Who the hell are the Pussycat Dolls?

They're scantily-clad robots who don't sing their own songs. Also great examples of what's wrong with society.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:

Popular? Who the hell are the Pussycat Dolls? And since when did high school musicals do well on the charts?
You must not have RadioDisney. Alot of the music in the top 40 as LemonMacPhisto said is crap. If you want to see where the top 40 outside of R & B/ Rap is coming from look no further than the before mentioned RadioDisney.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Paris Hilton's album is coming out soon. Surely that must be the nadir of current popular music and there's nowhere else to go but up, right?

Right???

:cry:

Old 08-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #20
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Paris Hilton's album is coming out soon. Surely that must be the nadir of current popular music and there's nowhere else to go but up, right?

Right???

:cry:

the crazy thing is I was surprised at how bad it didn't turn out to be.

i thought it would be atrocious, but was just a notch above intolerable.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:46 AM
fuc*ing idol is the problem, not one decent singer comes out of those fuc*ing shows
Old 08-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh, I disagree. I think Kelly Clarkson has a great voice, and doesn't feel the need to add 5,634 extra notes to everything.

Is it just the pop genre you're unhappy with, or do you really think none of them can sing?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #23
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Oh, I disagree. I think Kelly Clarkson has a great voice, and doesn't feel the need to add 5,634 extra notes to everything.

Is it just the pop genre you're unhappy with, or do you really think none of them can sing?

Kelly Clarkson is definitely talented.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:

Popular? Who the hell are the Pussycat Dolls? And since when did high school musicals do well on the charts?
Hate to break it to you, but "High School Musical" is the #1 selling album in Australia this week, while the Pussycat Dolls hold down #3 on the singles chart.

I don't think there's any more or less shit music out there than a decade ago, nor is there any more or less great music. It's just that the playing field has changed almost completely. The shit music is given quadruple the exposure and chances that the great music has ever received.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:38 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Do you guys have the Disney Channel in Australia? I'm curious if the tweenybopper set have seen the movie, or are just buying the soundtrack ... and if that's the case, where have they heard it if it isn't being shown there?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #26
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Wow, I'm even more out of touch with popular culture than I thought.

... this is probably a good thing. What kind of a stupid, generic name is "High School Musical"?

Well, thanks for enlightening me anyway, folks.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, the title tells you everything you need to know about the plot, so really, it's perfect! It's about kids in high school and a musical they're putting on.

(And about keeping true to yourself and having a crush and the theater club drama queen getting their comeuppance.)

Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #28
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

High School Musical

Snakes on a Plane

names need to be dumbed down for the masses, well Snakes on a Plane was a bad example, that's just kick ass.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Exactly! You know exactly what you're getting.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Do you guys have the Disney Channel in Australia? I'm curious if the tweenybopper set have seen the movie, or are just buying the soundtrack ... and if that's the case, where have they heard it if it isn't being shown there?
Yes, we have the Disney Channel. The soundtrack going to #1 here coincides with High School Musical also being the top selling DVD in the country at the moment.

As I was saying above about trash-pop being given more exposure and opportunity today than ever before, the same is happening at, I guess, the other end of it's life cycle. What would normally have been short shelf life cheap pop is getting respect it doesn't deserve in retrospect. I tune into a music channel or radio station and hear someone talking about one of the worlds greatest singers, amazing performer etc, someone all up and comers should look up to and hope to be as good as blah blah, and am stunned to then realise they are talking about Christina Aguilera or something. Pop music, plastic throw away music, most certainly has it's place, but it's reaching far out of it's place. That's the major difference.

The hype of shows like Idol aren't helping either, Rockstar is another one. Cheapening music, defining what is important in music as something completely different to what actually is. Doesn't bode well. However, great music is still being made by the bucketload, it's just being pushed further and further into a corner, it simply doesn't make enough money. I hate to drag a comment out of the ETYKIW forum and into here, but it is one of the main reasons why I'm so bitterly disappointed in U2's pop turn. Shifting to suit a time and place is one thing, but they're helping to feed a monster at the moment. They can talk Beatles and great tunes all they want, but that's not what it is about now.