Over the Rhine appreciation thread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmckinney

Acrobat
I may be going out on a limb with this one, but after reviewing the B&C band index, I realized they weren't there, and I thought I'd give it a shot.
Any fans out there?
For those of you who don't know them, they're a husband-and-wife combo from Cincinnatti. Their music is sometimes boring, often good, and occasionally - well, divine. Some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. And lyrically, at their best, I have never seen anyone who can top them.

Flying kites at midnight
Such a dizzy height
Up above the small town
Pulling moonlight down
And wearing it skin tight...
You can always tell me anything at all
Think of all the times you let my lips move...

I have sometimes said that they've written the only true love song in modern music. I know this is an exaggeration, but the song is rare: it's melancholy to the point of desperation, but devoted entirely to urging the other person to leave and be at peace. The chorus is:

And if the music starts before I get there
Dance without me
You dance so gracefully
I really think I'll be ok

Which is the rarest kind of love. If anybody's interested in a listen I can hook them up :)

I've never heard of them, but I love those lyrics. Just beautiful. I'll have to try them out sometime.

Eh, I drove thru Over the Rhine once...not beautiful!

I've heard a lot about them, but I don't think I've heard them. I know a lot of bands are into their stuff though.

Thanks for pushing me to check them out. :wink:

drteeth likes them.

i've only heard one song (mp3 of which i got from drteeth). it was a good song.

Yeah, I really like the Ohio album. I'll be seeing them when they come to Covenant College in Lookout Mountain, GA in April.

clifedge said:
Yeah, I really like the Ohio album. I'll be seeing them when they come to Covenant College in Lookout Mountain, GA in April.

If you like Ohio, both Good Dog Bad Dog and Drunkard's Prayer are (I think) even better. Less clutter. iTunes has both, bless them.
I envy you going to see them :)

IWasBored said:
drteeth likes them.

i've only heard one song (mp3 of which i got from drteeth). it was a good song.

Yes, yes I do! :D

I'm upset that most of their stuff is difficult to find here in Europe, and they never play here either. :(

Back
Top Bottom