our favourite Radiohead lyric/maxim/line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of couplets:

Jumped in the river and what did I see
Black-eyed angel swimming with me

AND

Sing us a song,
A song to keep us warm

Or maybe just: "Rats and children folow me out of town..."

[This message has been edited by Am I Zoo (edited 01-31-2002).]

I'll laugh until my head comes off

We got heads on sticks
You got ventriloquists
Rats and children follow me out of town

They're the ones who'll spit at you,
You will be the one screaming out

When I go forwards you go backwards and somewhere we will meet

Cracked eggs, dead birds
Scream as they fight for life
I can feel death, can see its beady eyes

You're so fucking special

thats all for now
biggrin.gif

I'm having trouble sticking to just one-liners:

we are the DOLLARS & CENTS
and the PoUNDS and Pence
the MARK and the YEN
We are going to crack your little souls
We are going to crack your little souls

I'm living in cloud cookoo land

While you make pretty speeches,
I'm being cut to shreds.

In an interstellar burst
I'm back to save the universe

Come on kids

I float down the Liffey

The big fish eat the little ones
Not my problem, give me some

Take the money and run

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones
Your royal highnesses

Catch the mouse
Squash his head
Put him in the pot

------------------
We plants are happy plants.

we hope that you choke that you choke

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

*you broke another mirror, you're turning into something you are not (high and dry)

*prozak painkilleress (bones)

*i want to live and breath, i want to be part of the human race (the bends)

*he used to surgery, for girls in the 80s, but gravity always wins, and it wears him out (fake plastic trees)

*i could burst a million bubbles (bullet proof... i wish i was)

*you are so pretty when you're on your knees, disinfected, eager to please... sometimes you sulk sometimes you burn, god rest your soul... (sulk)

*iMMersE your soUL in LOVE (street spirit... fade out)

~

*in the next world war, in the one you left behind, i am born again... in a deep deep sleep, in the love you never hide, i am born again (airbag - acoustic demo)

*arrest this man, he talks in maths he buzzes like a fridge he's like a detuned radio (karma police)

*hysterical and useless... don't get sentimental, always ends up drivel (let down)

*ambition makes you look pretty ugly (paranoid android)

*a heart thats full up like a landfill. a job that slowly kills you. bruises that won't heal. you look so tired_nhappy. bring down the government. they don't speak for us... so this is my final fit, my final bellyache (no alarms and no surprises please.)

*riot shields. voodooooo economics. its just business. cattle prods and the IMF. i trust i can rely on your vote. (electioneering)

*careful to all animals - never washing spiders down the plug hole (fitter happier more productive)

*it's not like the movies, they fed us on little white lies (motion picture soundtrack)

*who's in the bunker/ ice age coming/ we're not scare mongering this is really happening (idioteque)

*you can keep the furniture/ cut the kids in half (morning bell)

*the rats + children follow me out of their homes (kid A)

*this one dropped a payload, fodder for the animals, living on animal farm/ dinosaurs still roam the earth/ dinosaurs were alien (optimistic)

*we are the dollars and cents and the pounds and pence and the mark and the yen, and yeah, we're gonna crack your little soul... crack your little skulls... (dollars & cents)

*i'm a reasonable man, get off my case (pakt like sardines in a crushed tin box)

*don't talk politics and don't throw stones, yeah i'd like to talk but someone's listening in (life in a glass house)

*while you make pretty speaches i'm being cutt to shreads (like spinning plates)

*as the tanks roll into town, a little bit of knowledge will destroy you (cuttooth)

*baby alligators grow up fast (fog)

*i'll drown my beliefs, to have your babies/ your crazy kitten smile/ just don't leave (true loves waits)

*in a beautiful bombshell i throw myself into my work it's amazing i'm killing myself for someone else but i'm ok thanks for asking how are you? (palo alto)

*i'll be waiting, with a gun and a pack of sandwiches (talk show host)

*i feel absolutely nothing, the words are out of ink (follow me around)

*today, is the first day, of the rest of your days, so lighten up, squirt! (lift)

And now we are one
in everlasting peace
we hope that you choke

When I am king you will be first against the wall

This is what you get when you mess with us

------------------
Take the money and run

one day I am going to grow wings, a chemical reaction, hysterical & useless

(the idea of "one day I'll grow wings" is pretty trite, which is why it's so fabulous when it's turned around to be not this expected emotional leap but a "chemical reaction," in fact biological and nearly inevitable, like a disease or experiment, not emotional at all, but then that's turned on its head again by this all being hysterical & useless, useless especially undercuts the whole thing -- the biggest of all human dreams, to grow wings and fly away, or be an angel perhaps, and it turns out to be utterly pointless)

We are grateful for our iron lung

I don't care if it hurts, I want to have control

immerse your soul in love

The big fish eat the little ones, not my problem give me some

Dear sir, I have complaint, can't remember what it is

Open up, begin again

The Head of State has called for me by name
But I don't have time for him

When I am king you will be first against the wall, with your opinion which is of no consequence at all

------------------
"Shame on you! Ugly baby judges you!"

you never wash up after yourself

...late at night when im driving

im not here this isnt happening... in a little while, ill be gone, the moments already passed, ya its gone.

...my friends think ive lost it completely

cracked eggs, dead birds, scream as they fight for life

you forget so easily!!! you and whos army?!

you look so tired and happy (then for some reason he throws in this in the same breath ---> ) bring down the government. they dont, they dont speak for us.

i float through the ceiling! (i used to think it was i crawl through the sea and land)

dont lose your nerve. i cant do this alone.

they protect me, listen to me. (again, its not the words so much as the way they are sung, well put betty.)

just like your dad, you'll never change.

karma police, arrest this girl, her hitler hairdo is making me feel ill.

plus all the ones all of already mentioned ahead of me are really good too.

------------------
-Cloyd
-Balls McCone
-Cloyd (again)
-Blattus
-Box Bran-Delle

"I'm not living, I'm just killing time." (True Love Waits)

A question for everyone ... I know the official lyrics to Dollars & Cents shows "We're gonna crack your little souls." But if you listen to the live version from I Might Be Wrong, it really, really sounds like Thom says "We're gonna crack your little skulls." Anyone else notice that, care to comment? "Cracking skulls" would certainly make sense (or cents, to be cute about it), that's a well-worn phrase.

I noticed that too and I like the sound of crack your little skulls better but I was trying to be official about it.

CRACK your little skulls!
mad.gif

------------------
We plants are happy plants.

Thom alternates them, but I'll ask you why doesn't "crack your little souls" make sense??? it makes more sense, in fact, because Thom goes on about money and he is implying that materialism$$$/$$$capitalism can destroy your soul -- who can argue with that? in my opinion it's one of Thom's finest lyrics

I don't believe I ever implied that "souls" didn't make sense. I was merely stating that "skulls" makes plenty of sense as well, if not more sense. Any child of the 80s who grew up and was heavily influenced by "The Breakfast Club" had the term "cracking skulls" as an essential phrase for threatening others.

I think that either object of such aggression, either a soul or a skull, upon being cracked, would render one braindead, would it not? And I think you were saying, Wanderer, that's kind of the point of the lyric and the song. Right?

Either one works, as far as I'm concerned, it's just that cracking skulls strikes more of a nerve with me since the phrase has some meaning. Feel free to write me off as one of the many who think too much inside the box. I think that would be an accurate assessment.

No time for lists, so I'll dash off a few comments on my favourite of the moment: Lucky. Specifically:

The head of state
has called for me
by name
but I don't have time for him
It's gonna be
A glorious day

Hmmm, sounds like a decorated fighter pilot who's seen too much. No thankyou Mr President, time to die now.

Back
Top Bottom