Other bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucy3011

War Child
It's a bit of a trial being a U2 fan, you know.
Does anyone else feel that everything else just fails in comparison? Sure, I listen to other bands.. and I like them.. but there's always something missing.

But anyway, bands/people I quite enjoy listening to:

Coldplay
Muse
Bon Jovi
Splender
The Subways
Michael Jackson

Probably a couple others I can't remember.

Nah. I don't think they're the greatest ever and nobody else will ever compare. Well, maybe when I'm at one of their shows I do :wink: But still, there is so much other great music out there...you've just gotta find it.

Lucy3011 said:
It's a bit of a trial being a U2 fan, you know.
Does anyone else feel that everything else just fails in comparison?

no
I used to think the same thing until I actually got into music and not biased band worship

thing is, there are hundreds of bands as good as U2

Re: Re: Other bands

Basstrap said:

no
I used to think the same thing until I actually got into music and not biased band worship

Ha. Biased band worship. That's funny.

Guess I just haven't found another band that take me to that same place then.

Oh well.

Lucy3011 said:

Ha. Biased band worship. That's funny.

Guess I just haven't found another band that take me to that same place then.

Oh well.

I know how you feel, Lucy3011, but my main love (band-wise) isn't U2, it's The Church/Steve Kilbey (the lead singer/bassist for the band and also a solo artist). And Basstrap, it isn't that they are better than all other bands in an objective sense, it's what their music does for me. For me, their music takes me on wild and wonderful journeys that no other bands even touch. It helps that both The Church and SK have massive catalogs (over 30 albums counted together) as it gives me lots of variety from them.

There is something so completely familiar about their music and yet there is always that electric rush that runs through me when I listen. It's the comfort of an old friend and the excitement of a new lover.

I like all sorts of different music and in the end I only spent a very limited amount of time listening to U2 unless they've got a new album out or are touring Europe

I can still say though that

Basstrap said:
thing is, there are hundreds of bands as good as U2

is complete and utter bull

the reason U2 are as big as they are is no accident
I like some relatively obscure artists but it's hard to deny that at least a large part of the reason fo rmaking music is to connect to people on some level (and there are many different levels) and therefore to connect to as many people as possible

and no other band/artists comes even remotely close to U2 in that respect

Salome said:

the reason U2 are as big as they are is no accident
I like some relatively obscure artists but it's hard to deny that at least a large part of the reason fo rmaking music is to connect to people on some level (and there are many different levels) and therefore to connect to as many people as possible

and no other band/artists comes even remotely close to U2 in that respect

I agree that a large part of making music is to connect with people, but I don't agree that every musician or band wishes to connect with as many people as possible. Some are just never going to appeal to masses of people, but do connect very deeply with a more limited fanbase. I don't think this makes them musical failures, even if they aren't as much of a commercial success as a band with a huge following. I really think that artistic merit is in the eye, ears, and heart of the beholder.

yeah, widespread commercial success means very little. It simply means you make music that everyone "gets", that doesn't take much creativity or thought. Coldplay are on their way to such international acclaim as well...and you can tell why. Their songs are easy. They are nothing more than little packets of emotion meant to have the listener crying or smiling or something.

I like U2, and I respect them
and I know they have (or did have) a good way of working real emotion into their songs, but there's only so far that can go.

There are dozens and dozens and dozens of bands who even surpass U2's talent at song construction (which is small)
and there are many who are at least as good at conveying emotion...and certainly better tat writing lyrics.

And who don't have frontmen making lame speeches and forecasting their next album as titanium soul

that being said, nobody will ever beat Streets or WOWY

the thing about musicians is that they are almost human
they want to be able to make a living out of doing what they want to do

U2 doesn't differ from Will Oldham, Bill Laswell or Greg Cartwright in that

where U2 does differ is that they are able to indeed reach the people they want to reach
I'm sure Bill Laswell doesn't need to sell a couple million of albums, but I would also doubt his integrity if he didn't regret not being able to reach all the people who would be potentially interested in his music

U2 is able to reach all these people they want to reach and they are able to do this because they managed to become the absolute best in what they do
whatever that might be

Last edited:
i hold u2 on a pedastal above anyother band. i like them the best. there is no band out there that does "that" to you, like u2 does for me.
to me i can't compare u2 to anyone else because they just aren't like anyone else. i mean, usually you can find a group to shove bands or artists into, but i just can't do that with u2.
:shrug: oh well. to me, here are the bands/'artists' that come close:

ryan adams
the flaming lips
sting
the shins
r.e.m.
ben kweller
jack johnson

(by the way, if one band annoys me/pisses me off more than any other, it's coldplay) :grumpy:

peace, love & bad lemon,
toni

...is the acropolis crumbling

Back
Top Bottom