Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, We Love You, Amen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if we sent North Melbourne to the little oval a block from my place, they still wouldn't fill up the grandstand there.

Yet somehow their games still have better attendance than most NRL games.

oh god, we could debate about this for 7 hours (the amount of time it takes to finish an AFL game)

or we can talk about more trivial Australian matters such as The Carbon Tax, the price of petrol, the Tv show The Shire, Being Lara Bingle or the Buxom Bandit

It is after all an International audience here on this message board

Hard to talk about a carbon tax when there isn't a tax.

And the length of time it takes to finish an AFL game is quite obviously a positive - I'd rather watch over two hours of free-flowing footy than eighty minutes of stop-start rugby of either code ... or a billion hours of standing around doing nothing in gridiron. I'm sure we can all agree on the gridiron front.

Let's just take a moment to appreciate the absurdity of me ragging on rugby while I have an All Blacks avatar.

Oh and LOL to all the southern Australians who get their knickers caught up in a knot when someone devalues their sacred cow that is the AFL. The good thing is, you can keep it down there :)

Friend, nobody was doing such a thing. No AFL fan in this thread was implying anything to suggest that it was the national game, that rugby league was boring, or that Melbourne was the capital of the country - until you came in throwing wild assumptions about us. You rode into here already acting defensive.

As for gridiron/NFL, the frequent ad breaks are the worst thing about it. Makes it nigh-on impossible to get invested into a game.

The Sad Punk said:
As for gridiron/NFL, the frequent ad breaks are the worst thing about it. Makes it nigh-on impossible to get invested into a game.

Yep. There are four 15-minute quarters and yet the game goes for more than two hours.

How can Malcolm Turnbull, in good conscience, front up to a party he doesn't believe in, every single day?

His social conscience is subservient to his economic rationalism and his hope he will eventually become Liberal leader/PM?

I really don't know anything about him apart from the fact that he's rich and the most left-leaning Liberal MP I know of.

Tonight on Dumb Drunk & Racist I learned about the Myall Creek massacre. I'd never even heard of the place - and yet I spent countless hours learning about Burke & Wills, and their expedition that was by and large a monumental failure. They abused aboriginals along the way as well. In fact the amount I know about indigenous culture is something I'm very embarrassed about.

We should all be very deeply ashamed.

Don't blame me, I wasn't part of this.

But to be honest, I'm not sure why you, the worker, should be ashamed, that's for the ruling classes, but they don't care.

That's true. But I more mean we should be ashamed of our past, not a sense of personal shame, obviously we are all level-headed and were never guilty of anything, but I feel a sense of shame in how aboriginals were treated. And I think the way we treat aboriginals today is still quite shameful - there are hardly any schools were indigenous languages are taught, and I don't recall ever discussing aboriginal culture for more than an a few hours in primary/high school.

I didn't mention anything about the working/ruling classes. Not sure what that has to do with it.

Plenty of racist working class people who mistreated/continue to mistreat aboriginal Australians.

Your utter hatred of authority fascinates me...

Plenty of racist working class people who mistreated/continue to mistreat aboriginal Australians.

Yes, but where does that problem stem from?

The working classes weren't the ones who chose to colonise Australia and terrorise the Aboriginal people.

TheDeathOfFreedom.jpg

cobl04 said:
I really don't know anything about him apart from the fact that he's rich and the most left-leaning Liberal MP I know of.

Tonight on Dumb Drunk & Racist I learned about the Myall Creek massacre. I'd never even heard of the place - and yet I spent countless hours learning about Burke & Wills, and their expedition that was by and large a monumental failure. They abused aboriginals along the way as well. In fact the amount I know about indigenous culture is something I'm very embarrassed about.

Honestly, that's not even one of the deadliest massacres, as disgusting as it was. I recommend you read Blood on the Wattle by Bruce Elder. It's an exhausting and depressing read, but I feel it's vital to understand this country. You will come out of it changed.

Don't blame me, I wasn't part of this.

Same specious logic used to justify not apologising to the Stolen Generation - unless you're relying on your Belarussian origins here.

Then again, we all know how strongly I identify as Kiwi, but as somebody with a large part of my life invested in Australia as well, I think I have a stake and a responsibility in this whole debate.

But to be honest, I'm not sure why you, the worker, should be ashamed, that's for the ruling classes, but they don't care.

Who was it that mistreated the Aboriginal population?

I'm not sure what this is all meant to mean, except perhaps as generalised Marxist rhetoric from the early twentieth century. Who was it who committed many of the massacres and other atrocities? Especially on the extremely bloody Queensland and Western Australian frontiers? Regular "working class" people, often acting on their own initiative, or willingly and enthusiastically in cahoots with the police. You could make a case that the Stolen Generation was an initiative of the "ruling class" in which otherwise innocent "workers" were used as state tools, but I don't think that will wash for many massacres. When you have station hands who abused Aboriginals just for the twisted fun of it, well ... I don't see how you can say that was the ruling classes except by very convoluted argumentation.

Same specious logic used to justify not apologising to the Stolen Generation - unless you're relying on your Belarussian origins here.

I am, that comment was intended to be more on the humourous side than it turned out to be. Should have used a smiley ...

I switched on The Shire to see if it was really as bad as we all thought it would be.

And all jokes aside, it is so much worse. It is jaw-droppingly bad. Not even in a so-bad-but-I'm-still-watching-it kind of way, just unbearably awful.

I hate everyone involved with the concept from the ground up.

Guy Mosel, former FHM editor, said it best.

"Everyone associated with ‪#theshire‬ should die of ebola, then get reincarnated and brutally tortured to death."
"Proud of yourself, Lachlan Murdoch? What depressing shite. I hope the Indonesians take us over and introduce Sharia law. ‪#theshire‬"

I was actually tempted to watch just to see how bad it was. Chose against doing so. I remember stumbling upon Jersey Shore by mistake once, is it worse than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom