Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, We Love You, Amen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally everything she's ever said is mindbogglingly ignorant, and she has the mannerisms and tact of an orc.

Her repeated guest appearances on Q&A are honestly a major factor in why I stopped watching it regularly.

State of Origin!!!!!! That's where its at!!!!!!!!!!!

State_of_origin_logo.jpg

Unfortunately, I speak for the international audience

There are cases of insulated Australians who live in three states, Western and South Australia and Victoria, who are misled into thinking their sport's code is the national game

When you go to Sydney, the Gold Coast or Brisbane, theres no talk of what they play down there in Melbourne

Melbourne ≠ The capital of Australia :doh:

EDIT - It is every Victorian's nightmare, 4 million viewers, full stadium, not even a thought of "the national game" at Suncorp

Maroons-120704980.jpg

Honestly, if you live in Australia and prefer boring, repetitive sports like rugby league or soccer to Aussie Rules or rugby union, you have a problem. Rugby league in particular is just some marginal sport played in Queensland and three quarters of NSW.

When you go to Sydney, the Gold Coast or Brisbane, theres no talk of what they play down there in Melbourne

You ever actually been to the Gold Coast? Speaking as somebody who lived there for nine years, there are a fuckload of Aussie Rules fans. Definitely one of the city's main sports.

(Though Gold Coasters suck at supporting their local teams in any code. Multiple rugby league teams have found the Gold Coast/Tweed to be a graveyard.)

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with most of what Bolt is saying here.

Usual mob maligns Mirabella over Sheikh's ABC TV fainting | Herald Sun

Playing the devil's advocate, if the shoe was on the other foot, and it had been Mirabella who'd passed out, I'm sure the outpouring on Twitter would have been pretty nasty. I hate the woman as well, but there is a double standard sometimes from those of us on the left.

Honestly, I'd rather not contribute, even in the most insignificant way, to giving the Hun any traffic for Bolt.

I'll readily out myself as a hypocrite in that if Mirabella had collapsed, I'd have probably said something nasty along the lines of "shame it wasn't anything critical". It's just that I think she's a rotten excuse for a person with a disgusting - and profoundly disturbing - level of power and influence. If it had been somebody who does not peddle almost exclusively in dog whistles, obscuring the facts, and outright lying, I'd be sympathetic. I don't see it inconsistent with anything I've ever argued that I would struggle to find any sympathy for a woman whose entire career is based around being an unsympathetic, callous sack of shit.

Honestly, if you live in Australia and prefer boring, repetitive sports like rugby league or soccer to Aussie Rules or rugby union, you have a problem.

It takes 4 bloody hours to play a game of Aussie rules! :angry: and three things happen for four hours, you 1. kick 2. throw the ball - strangely (in an underhand volleyball serve style - and I hear people asking: 'why?') and 3. you catch/ receive a ball

^ Tell me, that's not repetitive?

and there is nothing exciting about kicking a ball through two sets of sticks compared to the other set, it only happens at least 25 times in the game :doh:

It takes 4 bloody hours to play a game of Aussie rules! :angry: and three things happen for four hours, you 1. kick 2. throw the ball - strangely (in an underhand volleyball serve style - and I hear people asking: 'why?') and 3. you catch/ receive a ball

and there is nothing exciting about kicking a ball through two sets of sticks compared to the other set, it only happens at least 25 times in the game :doh:

"I watched ten minutes of a Gold Coast game once and now I have bad opinions".

Kendrick Lamar - Ignorance is Bliss [Lyrics] - YouTube

"I watched ten minutes of a Gold Coast game once and now I have bad opinions".

I was about to say Auskick, but that would've been an insult to the Auskick kids. The Gold Coast jab, on the other hand, is entirely fair.

I've known of heaps of ex thugby NSW and QLD people fall head over heels for Aussie footy when they relocate to Melbourne. Pretty huge conversion rate once exposure is made possible.

The problem with Aussie footy is how complicated the rules are for first-timers. High tackles and pushes in the back are often very difficult to explain to a newbie.

Soccer shouldn't get drawn into the debate because it is completely different. It benefits from having low scores, because of the premium value of a goal. It's more of a strictly tactical game with a higher regard for discipline.

The problem with Aussie footy is how complicated the rules are for first-timers. High tackles and pushes in the back are often very difficult to explain to a newbie.

I'm not sure about that. A lot of people I know have found their first exposure to be exciting because the game's so fast and the rules so vague that the sport kind of seems like there aren't any rules at all. It's the batshit sport they dreamed of when they were at primary school and had the fun of rugby and soccer drummed out of them by off-side and knock-on and low scores and all that sort of thing. I know at least a couple of people who nostalgically sort of wish they had never learnt the rules.

I'm not sure about that. A lot of people I know have found their first exposure to be exciting because the game's so fast and the rules so vague that the sport kind of seems like there aren't any rules at all. It's the batshit sport they dreamed of when they were at primary school and had the fun of rugby and soccer drummed out of them by off-side and knock-on and low scores and all that sort of thing. I know at least a couple of people who nostalgically sort of wish they had never learnt the rules.

^

That's a point for you there, sir

This kind of point->

Goal%20Umpire%20-%20Point2.jpg

Oh and LOL to all the southern Australians who get their knickers caught up in a knot when someone devalues their sacred cow that is the AFL. The good thing is, you can keep it down there :)

Good, you can keep your sport where fat blokes without two brain cells to rub together run into each other and fall over :) We know our game is better, and we know that as Victorians we are superior in every way to you Northerners.

For my fellow Melburnians, this tumblr is absolute genius - WHEN IN MELBOURNE

I do find the idea of rewarding teams one point for kicking the ball nowhere near the big sticks, very ridiculous.

It rewards mediocrity, like the top 8.

I watched some of the Canberra-Melbourne thugby match (and that "nail biting" NSW-QLD series) and was well bored. And what's with NRL referring to teams by the silly, meaningless nicknames/mascots and not the place where they actually come from. It's always Bulldogs, never Canterbury. Those little things annoy me.

One thing I will credit the NRL administration for is their preservation of smaller, suburban grounds, rather than the AFL's complete and utter disregard for "home" grounds and determine homogenisation of the league's supporting culture.

We've had this argument a number of times, and while I agree, there wasn't much they could do. Hawthorn couldn't play at Glenferrie, Essendon couldn't play at Windy Hill, Collingwood couldn't play at Vic Park, Richmond couldn't play at Punt Rd, etc. Too small.

We could send Port back to Alberton. They might fill up the oval there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom