Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, Ostraya, We Love You, Amen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure precisely how it works, alas. Been too long since I read about the details of how a division is conducted.

The Age article I read online just said that they ring a bell for five minutes, and the MPs have until it stops to go to whichever side they want to vote on (or get out, as the case may be). Thompson didn't make his move until the last moment, hence the hilarious panicky dash by Abbott and Pyne. I'm assuming the doors get locked when the bell stops... and I think Pyne only got out cos the Speaker didn't notice him, but she did spot Abbott.

Every red-necked question and every Barnaby Joyce utterance was met with rapturous applause.

Then some moron stood up and actually used the slippery slope argument :doh:

I have a friend who went to uni in Toowoomba. You can see why he fucked off the moment he got his degree.

Just bringing this over to the appropriate thread from FYM:

attachment.php

What's the Julia Gillard version?

The Age: Gillard connects with Pepsi drinkers
Herald Sun: Gillard snubs Coke fans (reader's poll: do you think Craig Thomson spent union money on soft drink?)
The Australian: Gillard declares class warfare on Coke
Courier-Mail: Un-Australian - Gillard enjoys foreign-owned drink while Aussie workers are laid off
BBC: Australia experiences extraordinary GDP growth

West Australian: Poll - would you support WA seceding if Gillard does not send more Pepsi to our miners?

Yes: 95%
No: 1%
WA is still part of Australia?: 4%

ACA/TT: Take a good look at this Pepsi bottle. Can you see the blood of thousands of Australian children? No, because Pepsi's packaging processes mask the shocking truth - Australian minors are being used as slaves by Pepsi, and Julia Gillard is willingly endorsing it.

ACA/TT: Take a good look at this Pepsi bottle. Can you see the blood of thousands of Australian children? No, because Pepsi's packaging processes mask the shocking truth - Australian minors are being used as slaves by Pepsi, and Julia Gillard is willingly endorsing it.

ACA/TT in two weeks: Pepsi, the wonder drink - we share the secrets of the latest celebrity craze diet!

What does this mean?

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman has announced that the government will not be repealing civil unions, but will also amend the law to exclude state-sanctioned ceremonies.

The Premier has said the act will be amended to bring the legislation into line with other states, and to remove official ceremonies which “mimic marriage.”

What's the difference between a civil union and a state-sanctioned ceremony?

Queensland gets to keep civil unions, but... on samesame.com.au

Well, basically, they get to keep the legal rights but can't have a legal ceremony.

Newman's basically trying to shut up the fundies without stripping anybody of rights. It's better than I expected but dumb as fuck.

A very sad day for journalism. The paywalls were inevitable, and are easily circumnavigated (google the headline then follow that link). The Age and SMH will be Herald Sun-size from March 4. Huge changes happening and it's hard to see the standard of journalism not taking a big hit. But hey, as long as the head honchos see a mammoth pay cheque each week.

It seems like that Gina will get a spot on the Fairfax board too, which is just great news. Bolt, of course, is over the fucking moon, and I continue to read his utter tripe in complete disbelief at how obviously biased and tawdry it always is, despite his protestations he's a beacon of fairness in a world of leftist propaganda.

Meanwhile, at FCN (Fairfax Community Newspapers, where I work), we have been taken over 100% by MMP, which is run by Antony Catalano.

508457-1_n.jpg

In exchange for 100% of our company, Fairfax bought 50% of MMP. We will be right in the short term (my job is looking particularly secure), but there doesn't seem to be much, if any light at the end of the tunnel.

And it appears Bolt also likened a Chinese woman being beaten and forcibly given an injection to abort her baby, seven months pregnant, to abortion of all types in Australia.

What a fucking pig. When are people like this going to understand that we lefties aren't unfairly railing against their "free speech", we're railing against their blatantly offensive views.

Scary to think that Australia is about to head down a very long period of LNP/Abbot leadership with a very large and rapidly growing portion of the media fully cheerleading. The business issues facing Fairfax are almost wholly their own doing (and see News Ltd swinging the axe as well - I have no idea why people thought that the issues facing print media elsewhere were not going to occur in Australia, that is stupidity beyond belief) but the takeover at the same time... If the SMH/Age bottom out in quality and swing to right, very very very sad (and terrifying).

Scary to think that Australia is about to head down a very long period of LNP/Abbot leadership with a very large and rapidly growing portion of the media fully cheerleading. The business issues facing Fairfax are almost wholly their own doing (and see News Ltd swinging the axe as well - I have no idea why people thought that the issues facing print media elsewhere were not going to occur in Australia, that is stupidity beyond belief) but the takeover at the same time... If the SMH/Age bottom out in quality and swing to right, very very very sad (and terrifying).

:up:

:happy:

MINING magnate Gina Rinehart is believed to have asked for three board seats at Fairfax Media and the unfettered right to hire and fire editors.

Fairfax, however, is yet to make a formal offer of seats to Mrs Rinehart, although that is expected to be made in the next 24 hours and to be for for two seats.

Mrs Rinehart is also understood to have asked for the position of deputy-chairman of the company and sought to have her alternative directors to be unvetted by the board.

Fairfax chairman Mr Roger Corbett, who returned to Australia at the weekend, has insisted Mrs Rinehart agree not to interfere directly in editorial matters as a condition of her joining the board.

Allan Gray Australia fund manager Simon Marais said last week the point at issue was the interpretation of "editorial matters", suggesting Mr Corbett should take a less strict interpretation of the issue.

He said he had discussed the issue in recent meetings with Hancock representatives.

"She certainly should not be allowed to interfere in editorial matters when it clearly benefits her interests, but if she says there is an issue on the editorial side that needs to change to improve the business, it is her responsibility as a director to speak out," Mr Marais said.

"There should probably have been more input from the board into editorial matters in the past than there has been."

Gina Rinehart asks for three seats on Fairfax board | The Australian

Also, I had high hopes for tonight's Q&A, with Joe Hildebrand, Pru Goward, Lenny Henry, Brian Schmidt and Susan Ryan, but it has been one of the worst I've ever seen. Lenny Henry is incredibly unfunny. At one point someone mentioned a line from Bohemian Rhapsody and he sang about 20 seconds of it, getting louder and louder as no one laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom