Oscars! - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by brettig
Unfortunately for Scorsese there's a deep-seated reservation about him in the Hollywood establishment because his films haven't made enough money - even the Aviator hasn't turned a US profit despite being (I believe) his highest grossing film. So these days he is still marked harshly even as guys like Eastwood are collecting Oscars with ease. The American film industry respects Scorsese, hence the nominatons, but he's still not quite loved.
One of the articles I've read suggested that the reason Scorsese is not loved is simply because his films aren't, well, loveable. Even when they're sentimental, they're not heart-warming or life-affirming - and Academy LOVES heart-warming.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:41 PM   #287
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:37 PM
the ceremony sucked a lot
the winners sucked a lot (except for Kaufman and Eternal Sunshine, of course, that's obvious)

Old 02-27-2005, 09:59 PM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:37 AM
I'm glad I just tuned in for Chris Rock's opening and then tuned right out again. Sounds like I didn't miss much.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #289
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I'm glad I just tuned in for Chris Rock's opening and then tuned right out again. Sounds like I didn't miss much.
Same here.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:18 PM   #290
Refugee

Every year I swear I won't sit through the entire show, but I broke my vow yet again. I know it was only 3 1/2 hours, which is must shorter than years past, but nothing memorable happened. The acceptance speeches were boring (maybe Kaufman's was witty), and the predictions were correct across the board.

Scorcese will never win for a directing project; he'll get the lifetime achievement award, like Lumet.

Swank is overrated, but very good.

Freeman finally got his due, so I'll overlook the fact that his part in Million Dollar Baby was forgettable.

Chris Rock didn't carry his momentum past the opening monologue, which was the biggest disappointment of the night. I was expecting him to keep everything fresh throughout the slower moments, but he couldn't break free from the Network leash.

Cate Blanchett is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

Morgan Freeman is one of the coolest guys I've ever seen.

Johnny Depp is still one of the weirdest pretty boys I've ever seen.

I can't believe I watched that whole thing. I feel like I lost a big chunk of my life. Ugh...at least I watched it with my new girlfriend, and we made-out and gave each other full body massages throughout the slow parts...heehhehehehe... (Too much information?)...
Old 02-28-2005, 04:51 AM   #291
Blue Crack Addict

I agree w/ that theory about Scorcese, I think they go for the emotional impact films now. I loved Million Dollar Baby-The Aviator as a technical achievement was so impressive, but it felt empty to me.

I agree about Cate Blanchett, she looks like an ethereal Victorian goddess. Hilary Swank's body is just not human My other faves were Kate Winslet, Charlize Theron, Salma Hayek, Natalie Portman, and Halle Berry.

Maybe Chad Lowe is secure enough that he actually roots for his wife's success and isn't threatened by it I'd like to think so
Old 02-28-2005, 06:46 AM   #292
Refugee

Local Time: 11:37 PM
I think it is pathetic that Scorsese has never won. Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas... However, Aviator was NOT one of his best movies and awarding him for it would have just been making up for past transgressions. Million Dollar Baby was a much better directed movie.

Besides, as someone else pointed out, Martin Scorsese is now part of an elite group of directors who never won (Welles, Hitchcock, Altman, Kubrick). Not too shabby company.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #293
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:37 AM
What a crap show this year,,,

I am sick and tired of Johnny Depp leaving the oscars empty handed. He is the only real original actor right now.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:37 AM
i'm very happy for old clint, this actor never dies, he's fantastic, one of the best ever existed men of hollywood, CONGRANTS CLINT EASTWOOD!!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #295
Blue Crack Distributor

Disappointed that Scorsese didn't win.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Got to actually watch the show yesterday evening... felt sorry for all those technical people who were either herded on stage beauty-pageant style or stuck in the aisles with no dignity. Since watching all those LoTR documentaries on Extended Editions I think I've got tons more respect for people behind the screen than the actors.

Aviator is not Scorsese best film, sure, but for my money still the best one of the nominated pictures. My Mum and I agreed that Million Dollar Baby was by far the worst choice for Best Film by the Academy in years; I thought that it was simply average while she said she couldn't stand the way it pushed all tear-squirting buttons humanly possible... but awww isn't Clint Eastwood one classy guy?? I can't possibly boo -him-. Still if Eastwood had to win thank God it wasn't last year.

Morgan Freeman is a fantastic actor but his was the least deserving Best Supporting Actor performance in the bunch and his award essentially a lifetime achievement.

Oh, and Sean Penn is in a desperate need of a sense of humour implant... lighten up!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #297
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
So, what are everyone's picks for the major categories (you can do minor ones too if you'd like)?

My predictions:

Best Picture - Million Dollar Baby
Best Director - Clint Eastwood
Best Actor - Jamie Foxx
Best Actress - Hillary Swank
Best Supporting Actor - Morgan Freeman
Best Supporting Actress - Cate Blanchett
Nice call. Did you win the office pool?

Sorry, but I don't buy the M$B hype. It is a well crafted mediocre tear-jerking story. Some story elements were left unfinished and there seemed to be little struggle with the boxer's decision.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Was Chris Rock funny?

The only remotely humorous comment I heard was when he introduced the "four" presenters.....
Old 02-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #299
War Child

Don't get started with awards shows.

I am still fuming that ATYCLB didn't win Album of the Year at the Grammys.

How does an album that won grammys for four (not one, two, or three) but FOUR grammys for FOUR different songs and not win Album of the Year???????

And those four songs don't even include Kite, When I Looke at the World, Peace on Earth??

Old 02-28-2005, 05:46 PM   #300
Blue Crack Distributor

i love how liberal movie stars can bash everyone and anyone, laugh at jokes at the expense of president bush, but then when the tide is turned against them, they can't handle it...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...kdk30702280459