Oscar Predictions!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
Alright, make your final predictions here.

Picture: No Country For Old Men
Director: Coen Bros.
Actor: Daniel Day-FUCKING-Lewis
Actress: Marion Cotillard
Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem
Supporting Actress: Tilda Swinton
Original Screenplay: Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
Adapted Screenplay: Coens
Cinematography: Robert Elswitt, There Will Be Blood
Editing: No Country
Art Direction: Jack Fisk, There Will Be Blood
Animated Film: Ratatouille
Costumes: Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Make-Up: La Vie en Rose
Score: Michael Giacchino, Ratatouille
Song: Once
Sound Mixing: No Country
Sound Editing: Transformers
Visual Effects: Transformers
Documentary Feature: No End In Sight
Foreign Language: Beaufort

lazarus said:

I think I agree with this, except for (maybe) Supporting Actress. If there's going to be a big upset, it'll be in one of the supporting categories (although I think Javier Bardem has a lock). Cate Blanchett has been the front-runner in this race forever, it seems. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else win.

I'm just feeling like Michael Clayton has to be acknowledged somewhere. And I'm not convinced that all the Academy members even bothered to watch I'm Not There. Cate doesn't appear until like 30 minutes into the movie. It's also not nominated in any of the other categories, so there's less motivation for them to sit through it.

Personally, I'd like to see Amy Ryan or Blanchett take it. The former needs it more.

I'd love to see Hal Holbrook win for Into the Wild, but I think his nomination was the prize there. It'd be a sentimental vote for sure, but he deserves it - he broke my heart in that movie.

I think Michael Clayton will win SOMETHING. But I think original screenplay will go to Juno, because that seems to be the category where they award the "quirky" movies that won't win something like Best Picture or acting awards.

Director: The Coen Bros.
Actor: Daniel Day-FUCKING-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Actress: Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose
Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, Juno
Adapted Screenplay: The Coen Bros., No Country for Old Men
Cinematography: Janusz Kaminski, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Editing: Roderick Jaynes, No Country for Old Men
Art Direction: Jack Fisk, Jim Erickson, There Will Be Blood
Costumes: Colleen Atwood, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Make-Up: Didier Lavergne, Jan Archibald, La Vie en Rose
Score: Dario Marianelli, Atonement
Song: "Falling Slowly," Once
Sound Mixing: Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff, Peter F. Kurland, No Country for Old Men
Sound Editing: Mike Hopkins, Ethan Van der Ryn, Transformers
Visual Effects: Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Russell Earl, John Frazier, Transformers
Documentary Feature: No End in Sight
Foreign Language: Mongol

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
I think Michael Clayton will win SOMETHING. But I think original screenplay will go to Juno, because that seems to be the category where they award the "quirky" movies that won't win something like Best Picture or acting awards.

You're probably right, but I just couldn't bring myself to type Her name.

I'd rather be wrong than embrace the darkness.

lazarus said:
Alright, make your final predictions here.

Original Screenplay: Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
Adapted Screenplay: Coens
Cinematography: Robert Elswitt, There Will Be Blood
Editing: No Country
Art Direction: Jack Fisk, There Will Be Blood
Costumes: Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Make-Up: La Vie en Rose
Score: Michael Giacchino, Ratatouille
Song: Once
Sound Mixing: No Country
Sound Editing: Transformers
Visual Effects: Transformers
Documentary Feature: No End In Sight
Foreign Language: Beaufort

:up: on all that...

:D ESPECIALLY BEST ORIGINAL SONG: "FALLING SLOWLY- THE SWELL SEASON.... :yippie: :hyper:

and DANIEL DAY FUCKIN LEWIS... :drool:

Performance by an actor in a leading role -- Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood"
Performance by an actor in a supporting role -- Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men"
Performance by an actress in a leading role -- Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose"
Performance by an actress in a supporting role -- Amy Ryan in "Gone Baby Gone"
Best animated feature film of the year -- "Ratatouille" (Walt Disney)
Achievement in art direction -- "Atonement"
Achievement in cinematography -- "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly": Janusz Kaminski
Achievement in costume design -- "La Vie en Rose": Marit Allen
Achievement in directing -- "There Will Be Blood": Paul Thomas Anderson
Best documentary feature -- "Sicko": Michael Moore and Meghan O'Hara
Best documentary short subject -- "Sari's Mother": James Longley
Achievement in film editing -- "No Country for Old Men": Roderick Jaynes
Best foreign language film of the year -- "Katyn" Poland
Achievement in makeup -- "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End": Ve Neill and Martin Samuel
Achievement in music written for motion pictures: -- "Atonement" Dario Marianelli
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song) -- "Falling Slowly" from "Once" Music and Lyric by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
Best motion picture of the year -- "No Country for Old Men": Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
Best animated short film -- "Memes Les Pigeons Vont Au Paradis"
Best live action short film -- "Tanghi Argentini": Guido Thys and Anja Daelemans
Achievement in sound editing -- "The Bourne Ultimatum": Karen Baker Landers and Per Hallberg
Achievement in sound mixing -- "No Country for Old Men": Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter Kurland
Achievement in visual effects -- "The Golden Compass": Michael Fink, Bill Westenhofer, Ben Morris and Trevor Wood
Adapted screenplay -- "No Country for Old Men", Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
Original screenplay -- "Juno", Written by Diablo Cody

Ah, but did she say it SHOULD win? I think it will win, too. I don't think it should, but like I said earlier:

"But I think original screenplay will go to Juno, because that seems to be the category where they award the "quirky" movies that won't win something like Best Picture or acting awards."

I haven't seen any of the movies, except Michael Clayton. Yes, I know I phail. But from what I've seen/read, I agree with you cori about the screenplay/Juno. Diablo Cody won for screenplay last night on the Independent Spirit Awards. I caught about 2/3rds of that broadcast prior to SNL.

corianderstem said:
Ah, but did she say it SHOULD win? I think it will win, too. I don't think it should, but like I said earlier:

"But I think original screenplay will go to Juno, because that seems to be the category where they award the "quirky" movies that won't win something like Best Picture or acting awards."

Right.

I really want there to be a split in major awards between No Country and There Will Be Blood - at least give P.T. Best Adapted Screenplay.

Lila64 said:
I haven't seen any of the movies, except Michael Clayton. Yes, I know I phail. But from what I've seen/read, I agree with you cori about the screenplay/Juno. Diablo Cody won for screenplay last night on the Independent Spirit Awards. I caught about 2/3rds of that broadcast prior to SNL.

She won Best First Screenplay, while Tamara Jenkins won Best Screenplay for The Savages.

I just hope to god Jon Stewart isn't above making a stripper joke at Cody's expense. If she does have to win, seeing the audience laughing at her first will make it go down a lot easier.

You know Chris Rock would go there.

I liked Jon Stewart as a host, and am looking forward to him doing it again. I think my favorite recent non-Billy Crystal host was Steve Martin.

Every host gets bashed - what do these people want out of a host? I never understand why the recent hosts get bashed. Too safe, too boring, too awkward, too stiff, not enough laughter from the audience, too political, not political enough, not Billy Crystal.

Lila64 said:
Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't exactly sure of the category.

The winners from last night are here:
http://www.filmindependent.org/spiritawards/

I liked some of the songs that were done - the song from the Diving Bell & The Butterfly... and Steve Zahn's song from I'm Not There. :lol:

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ONCE GOT A SPIRIT AWARD FOR Best Foreign Film!!! SO HAPPY! :yippie:

corianderstem said:
I liked Jon Stewart as a host, and am looking forward to him doing it again. I think my favorite recent non-Billy Crystal host was Steve Martin.

Every host gets bashed - what do these people want out of a host? I never understand why the recent hosts get bashed. Too safe, too boring, too awkward, too stiff, not enough laughter from the audience, too political, not political enough, not Billy Crystal.

Everyone bashes everything, though.

This board is dedicated to U2 and U2 get bashed on here.

PlaTheGreat said:
Juno shouldn't have been nominated for anything. It was a mediocre film at best.
PlaTheGreat said:
Juno shouldn't have been nominated for anything. It was a mediocre film at best.
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:
PlaTheGreat said:

PlaTheGreat said:
So which of the other 4 nominees should receieve the recognition?

On another note, I watched The Counterfeiters last night and am in the middle of Beaufort right now. I might have to rethink my choice for Best Foreign Film. :hmm:

got_edge said:
So which of the other 4 nominees should receieve the recognition?

Ratatouille or Michael Clayton. I haven't seen Michael Clayton but at this point even Snakes on a Plane had a better script than Juno.

Compare:

GET THESE MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES OFF MY MOTHERFUCKING PLANE!

to

This is one doodle that can't be undid, homeskillet.
:| :| :| :| :|

U2Fanatic4ever said:

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!! ONCE GOT A SPIRIT AWARD FOR Best Foreign Film!!! SO HAPPY! :yippie:

I love how at the Independent Spirit Awards, a film that takes place in Ireland is considered "foreign". British films don't get this distinction. At least with the Oscars it has to be in another language.

PlaTheGreat said:

Ratatouille or Michael Clayton. I haven't seen Michael Clayton but at this point even Snakes on a Plane had a better script than Juno.

Compare:

GET THESE MOTHERFUCKING SNAKES OFF MY MOTHERFUCKING PLANE!

to

This is one doodle that can't be undid, homeskillet.
:| :| :| :| :|

Thanks for reminding me how much I fucking hate that line.

For the top 5 categories, these 3 are a LOCK:

No Country For Old Men
Daniel Day Lewis
Javier Bardem

Both actress categories are really anyone's game.

Best actress: Between Marion Cotillard, Julie Christie and possible Ellen Page

Supporting Actress: Between Amy Ryan, Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton

If i HAVE to predict, i'll go with Julie Christie and Amy Ryan. (But i'd like to see Marion Cotillard win)

Back
Top Bottom