Oscar Predictions!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:

Yeah ... I don't know that Saving Private Ryan was all that great - it was maybe half of a really good movie. But it was definitely superior to SiL.

Bullshit. Shakespeare had a great screenplay. And a great cast (christ, even Affleck was good). SPR's characters were cardboard cutouts. It deserved tech awards, and that's it.

anitram said:
I've never heard that one!

I realized I didn't remember exactly what those comments were I'd heard, so I went to the "blah blah" thing. But I've been hearing dissenters say some shit about ... shit, I can't even remember. Let me see if Google is any help.

Lancemc said:
She's like "I can't believe I nearly ruined Gangs of New York! Wahhh!"

Maybe DDL gave her the cold shoulder tonight for doing just that, and now she's boo-hooing over it.

Okay, it's from Wikipedia, but oh well:

"Filmmaker Lloyd Kaufman has noted that Gump's successes result from doing what he is told by others, and never showing any initiative of his own, in contrast to Jenny's more forthright and independent character who is shown descending into drugs, prostitution, and death."

(although I never got the impression Jenny was a hooker.)

corianderstem said:
I agree Gump shouldn't have won, but I still have a big soft spot for the movie. I just roll my eyes when some people gripe about how it's "right wing clap-trap about blah blah blah fucking blah."

Well considering anyone who's part of the counter-culture is lampooned or killed off, yet the filmmakers somehow tricked baby boomers into liking it by spoonfeeding them popular hits of the time period, it's pretty reprehensible.

I don't like disagreeing with you, Cori.

:(

corianderstem said:
Okay, it's from Wikipedia, but oh well:

"Filmmaker Lloyd Kaufman has noted that Gump's successes result from doing what he is told by others, and never showing any initiative of his own, in contrast to Jenny's more forthright and independent character who is shown descending into drugs, prostitution, and death."

(although I never got the impression Jenny was a hooker.)

Yeah, that too!

And it was implied at least that Jenny was promiscuous. Of course, by the film's politics, any independent, free-thinking woman would be a whore or prostitute.

No, no ... I understand WHY those things were said about it. I'm just saying I enjoyed it as a piece of entertainment. :shrug:

I guess when I watch a movie like Gump, I watch it superficially, and then when someone later says something about a message underneath it all, it takes me by surprise, even if I see what they're saying. But usually I still stand by my initial reaction to the film.

Lancemc said:
As if there wasn't need for further proof that 1999 wasn't one of the best years for film ever, you got to see Best Picture winner American Beauty in that montage, a movie that probably wasn't even in the top 5 of the year, but is still better than many of the other best picture winners shown there.

Well put.

1. Fight Club
2. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Magnolia
4. The Talented Mr. Ripley
5. Being John Malkovich
6. Snow Falling on Cedars
7. The Insider
8. American Beauty
9. All About My Mother
10. The End of the Affair

The Insider was fantastic. Crowe should have won for THAT instead of ... uh ... was it Gladiator? (Although I really like that movie and thought he was great in that, too.)

Yeah, Patrick Dempsey is so versatile he's working in television after an unsuccessful film career.

Enjoy that stage, pal. It's the last time you'll be on it.

Back
Top Bottom