Oscar Predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
Anybody got predictions?
Here is what I'd like to see happen:
Best Film: Munich
Best Director: Steven Speilberg
Best Actor: Heath Ledger/Philip Seymour Hoffman - I love both of these performances, it's impossible to choose
Best Actress: Felicity Huffman
Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti (to make up for last years snub...Jake Gyllenhaal probably gave best performance in this category)
Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams - her character could've easily come off as a cold, unsympathetic bitch, but she did a remarkable job creating a character with depth
And, i hope Tony Kushner and Eric Roth win for best adapted screenplay for Munich.

This is what I think will happen:

Best Film: Brokeback Mountain
Best Director: Ang Lee
Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon
Best Supporting Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal
Best Supporting Actress: Catherine Keener

HelloAngel said:

that's exactly what I was going to say

Predictions/my choice

Best Picture

Crash/Brokeback Mountain-the buzz is that it will be Crash and I think that's a shame, just in my opinion the weakest film of the five. I would have put Walk The Line in its' place. Crash has some very important themes and messages but as a film I don't think it's all that great

Best Actor

Philip Seymour Hoffman/Joaquin Phoenix-Hoffman was amazing, but I still have a soft spot for Joaquin in that movie, especially after seeing it again on DVD. Hoffman's was more of an imitation whereas Joaquin captured an essence.

Actress

Reese/Reese-I haven't seen Transamerica

Supporting Actor

Clooney/Jake Gyllenhaal-I love Paul Giamatti but Cinderella Man was so long ago and not my fave performance by him. There's something amazing about Jake in that movie, and I didn't think Clooney was all that great in Syriana-but they want to give him something

Supporting Actress

Rachel Weisz/Rachel Weisz-I thought Michelle's performance was beautiful too. I loved Constant Gardener. Very tough choice, Catherine Keener was great too

Director-Ang Lee/Ang Lee-masterful job imho. In the hands of most directors that movie could have become an awkward, silly parody.

I'm no expert about movies just a fan.

Last edited:
Movie - Brokeback Mountain. I'd love to see Good Night and Good Luck win it instead, but that's chasing rainbows.

Director - Ang Lee.

Actress - Reese Witherspoon. Confirmed, done deal folks. She was the best part of Walk the Line, IMO. And that's saying a lot given how great Joaquin was.

Actor - Philip Seymour Hoffman. He'll take it.

Supporting actress - Rachel Weisz was excellent even if I thought Constant Gardener was rather meh. I think I went in with expectations that were too high.

Supporting actor - George Clooney. He's nominated for a number of things and since he won't win the others, they'll toss him this one as consolation. Which is fine because I love George. :wink:

Best Picture: Crash
Best Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Best Actress: Felicity Huffman
Best Supporting Actor: George Clooney
Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain
Best Director: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Capote
Best Actress: Felicity Huffman in Transamerica
Supporting Actor: George Clooney in Syriana
Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener
Animated Film: The Corpse Bride
Art Direction: King Kong
Cinematography: Brokeback Mountain
Costume Design: Memoirs Of A Geisha
Best Documentary: Darwin's Nightmare
Best Editing: Crash
Foreign Language Film: Paradise Now
Makeup: Chronicles of Narnia
Music (Score): Brokeback Mountain
Music (Song): "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" from Hustle and Flow
Sound: King Kong
Sound Editing: King Kong
Visual Effects: King Kong
Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Brokeback Mountain
Writing (Original Screenplay): Syriana

Short Film (Animated): ?
Short Film (Live Action): ?
Documentary Short: ?

Multiple Wins:

Brokeback Mountain: 5
King Kong: 4
Syriana: 2

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams
Best Supporting Actor: George Clooney
Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain or Crash

Best Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman (although the rest of the nominees were also stellar. I was really impressed with all of the nominated performances, especially Heath Ledger.)

Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon or Felicity Huffman

Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz

Best Supporting Actor: George Clooney (he's unlikely to get anything for "Good Night, and Good Luck", so they might want to reward him with the supporting Oscar instead)

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain

Actor:
who will win:pSH
who should win: Joaquin
Supp. Actor:
who will win:Clooney
who should win:Matt Dillon
Actress:
who will win:Reese
who should win:Reese
Supp. Actress.:
who will win:Keener
who should win:Amy Adams

Best Film:Munich
who will win:Brokeback
Best Director:Spielberg
who will win:Ang Lee

easy

love yer suit....(Lecter style)

Last edited:
Cinematography is going to be wiped away with Memoirs of a Geisha. That movie was amazing. There's not even question about it winning costume either.

I'd like to predict this year, but I'm feeling so angry at BBM that I can't even think about it. I know they are going to be swiping some awards they definitely don't deserve.

PlaTheGreat said:

I'd like to predict this year, but I'm feeling so angry at BBM that I can't even think about it. I know they are going to be swiping some awards they definitely don't deserve.

Munich is so much better than Brokeback, I would almost bet my own money on Brokeback.

That's the way it works.

I suppose that it would be wishful thinking that politics be left out of the ceremony.....

If "Paradise Now" wins for Best Foreign Film I can just imagine the Israel-bashing acceptance speech....not to mention what George Clooney might do if he wins.

I don't think Brokeback Mountain is going to win best picture cos I don't think Hollywood is ready yet to award movies with a gay theme.

Best Film: Looks like its going to be Brokeback Mountain.
Best Director: Ang Lee. But Speilberg could sneak it.
Best Actor: Personally I think Joaquin Phoenix shoyld win. But congrats to Phillip Seymor Hoffman if he wins it.

Best sup. Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal
Best sup. Actress: Rachel Weisz

Best screenplay: Goodnight and good luck
Best Adapted screenplay: Brokeback Mountain or Munich

Best Sound Walk the Line

Best Animated: Wallace and Gromit

War of the Worlds or Kong for best visual effects.

I just hope that Curse of the were rabbit wins :bow:

I can't even watch it cos it's not on BBC :angry:

HelloAngel said:

I agree with this prediction :up:

Edited to add: Actually I think Clooney will win Best Supporting Actor...

Last edited:
Crash won best picture. Pathetic.

Well, actually, these year's nominated movies were so pathetically bad that it is no suprise that a mediocre movie took it.

Terrible year for Hollywood. The box office shows it.

:down:

(and don't even get me started on Legally Blonde Reese Witherspoon winning best actress... :mad: )

Last edited:
U2@NYC said:

(and don't even get me started on Legally Blonde Reese Witherspoon winning best actress... :mad: )

Hey, she was great in Walk the Line. In fact I enjoyed her performance more than Joaquin's and that's saying a lot because he was excellent.

anitram said:
Movie - Brokeback Mountain. I'd love to see Good Night and Good Luck win it instead, but that's chasing rainbows.

Director - Ang Lee.

Actress - Reese Witherspoon. Confirmed, done deal folks. She was the best part of Walk the Line, IMO. And that's saying a lot given how great Joaquin was.

Actor - Philip Seymour Hoffman. He'll take it.

Supporting actress - Rachel Weisz was excellent even if I thought Constant Gardener was rather meh. I think I went in with expectations that were too high.

Supporting actor - George Clooney. He's nominated for a number of things and since he won't win the others, they'll toss him this one as consolation. Which is fine because I love George. :wink:

So close...congrats. :up:

anitram said:

Hey, she was great in Walk the Line. In fact I enjoyed her performance more than Joaquin's and that's saying a lot because he was excellent.

I personally thought the part was way too big for her. Way too big.

Wow, everything was incredibly predictable. Even the two that I thought might go in a different direction (Documentary and Animated Feature) both were handed out to the incredibly obvious choices (Penguins made the most $, Wallace and Gromit shorts have won two Oscars). Biggest disappointment was Witherspoon winning for Walk The Line (a horrid film with a horrid role), but I guess she deserves it for a lot of her previous work.

Only big shocker was obviously Crash taking home the big one. But whatever, they failed to nominate a lot of great films that should have trumped the others (Constant Gardener for Best Picture/Director.......Grizzly Man for Best Documentary........Turtles Can Fly for Best Foreign Film)........

This years Oscars were disgusting. Jon Stewart was the only saving grace. He kept making fun of what the Academy kept doing: "We're so great; we've made such a difference in the world; we started the civil rights movement."
There's no fucking way Witherspoon deserved that award. She essentially played herself in that film. It was such a safe pick over Felicity Huffman's portrayal of a transgender individual. What's next? Britany Spears winning a best actress oscar?

blueyedpoet said:

There's no fucking way Witherspoon deserved that award. She essentially played herself in that film. It was such a safe pick over Felicity Huffman's portrayal of a transgender individual. What's next? Britany Spears winning a best actress oscar?

While I acknowledge that Huffman's performance was stellar, I'm going to argue that Carter-Cash and Witherspoon are very similar people. I don't feel Reese was 'playing herself, ' but rather, playing a character similar to herself, her values, etc. Comparing her to Britney Spears is a little farfetched, don't you think? Certainly, her performance couldn't have been THAT bad....

I got all of my predictions correct, what do I win? :wink:

I knew it would be Crash, safe pick. I saw it so long ago but from what I remember it was as subtle as a sledgehammer, seemed more like a TV movie to me :shrug: some good performances but as a film it just didn't wow me. I didn't see Transamerica but I did think Reese gave a great performance, never once did I think "hey that's Reese imitating June Carter Cash". That's the way of the Oscars, fair or not (and it is not)-a small movie like Transamerica usually doesn't have as much of a shot and it works against the actor/actress.

Jon Stewart did a decent job, not over the top which I liked. It did seem like many of his jokes fell flat.

As for dresses, I thought Keira Knightley's was gorgeous, didn't care for her hair but the dress and the necklace-wow. Also Jessica Alba, she looked gorgeous. Jennifer Garner looked beautiful, had to get up w/ JLo sitting right in front of her, awkward. Charlize-gorgeous woman but :huh: not my favorite look for her but she is always stunning.Michelle Williams looked very nice, she managed to carry off that color. Reese looked very pretty. Salma Hayek, wow that color was something else and she is just always hot period.

A few not so faves I can think of right now-Naomi Watts and Felicity Huffman- she has the body to carry off that dress so it looked great on her anyway. Her hair and makeup looked great. Helena Bonham Carter too, but she always dresses like that.

George Clooney looked gorgeous.

By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television WriterSun Mar 5, 11:46 PM ET

You would have been more amused Sunday night if you'd revved up your TiVo and played back an evening's worth of "Daily Show with Jon Stewart" reruns while you tracked Oscar winners on the Web.

Stewart, usually a very funny guy, displayed a lack of beginner's luck as first-time host of "The 78th Annual Academy Awards," which ABC aired live from Hollywood's Kodak Theatre.

His usually impeccable blend of puckishness and self-effacement fell flat in the service of Oscar. But he wasn't alone. The rest of the broadcast was largely bland and by-the-numbers.

Couldn't presenter Russell Crowe have departed from his script and clobbered someone (even Stewart) with a telephone, just to jazz things up?

Thank goodness for the occasional attempt at cleverness, as when the presenters for Best Makeup arrived on stage in foolishly awful makeup: Will Ferrell scarlet-faced and Steve Carell corpse-pale.

And in a funny bit, Tom Hanks demonstrated the Academy's new strategy for speeding up acceptance speeches. Onstage musicians not only surrounded him but physically assaulted him to keep it brief.

Wait, this wasn't too far from the truth. From the instant each Oscar recipient began speaking, the orchestra's mewling Lite-FM assault began stepping on the winner's remarks, as if to play them offstage before they'd even opened their mouths. It was distracting and obnoxious, and undercut what are, potentially, the night's grandest moments.

Also irksome: a prevailing message through the broadcast preaching that movies should be seen on the big screen of a movie house, presumably at full ticket price. (Remember, DVDs: bad.)

The broadcast began on a shaky note with a filmed intro that found past Oscar host Billy Crystal being introduced as this year's host, then declining, followed by Chris Rock, Steve Martin, Whoopi Goldberg, David Letterman, Mel Gibson, even Mr. Moviephone — none of whom wanted the gig.

That seemed to leave it to Stewart by default. Maybe it's come to this.

Sure, he's an outsider — a New York-based comic and TV personality. The sort of star who reminded the audience that "tonight is the night we celebrate excellence in film — with ME, the fourth male lead from 'Death to Smoochy.'"

But as the night wore on, Stewart proved too deferential, too nice and too obvious in his targets.

His biggest monologue laugh: In reference to the swan dress that singer Bjork wore to the 2001 Oscars, Stewart announced gravely that she wouldn't be on hand this year: She "was trying on her Oscar dress and Dick Cheney shot her." Tiresome squared.

Late in the broadcast, the flashy, high-amp hip-hop number "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" surely roused any dozing viewers. And once Three 6 Mafia members Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard had received their Oscars for Original Song, Stewart got a big laugh by observing, "I think it just got a little easier out here for a pimp."

But more typical were Stewart's misfires, one of which he tried to recover from in a desperate way unworthy of him: "I am a loser," he declared.

Not true. He's really funny. The many millions of Oscarcast viewers unfamiliar with Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" should tune in and see. If they do, that will make Stewart the biggest winner from Oscar night.

Back
Top Bottom