Oscar Predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scariest pic I've found so far-Eddie Van Halen at the Elton John party

capt.camw12703061102.elton_john_oscar_party_camw127.jpg

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

While I acknowledge that Huffman's performance was stellar, I'm going to argue that Carter-Cash and Witherspoon are very similar people. I don't feel Reese was 'playing herself, ' but rather, playing a character similar to herself, her values, etc. Comparing her to Britney Spears is a little farfetched, don't you think? Certainly, her performance couldn't have been THAT bad....

It *wasn't* bad at all. People just love to exaggerate things to make themselves sound like they actually know what they are talking about.

PlaTheGreat said:

It *wasn't* bad at all. People just love to exaggerate things to make themselves sound like they actually know what they are talking about.

And some other ones do not add any value but rather criticize and make fun of what some other ones post... :tsk:

U2@NYC said:

And some other ones do not add any value but rather criticize and make fun of what some other ones post... :tsk:

well, when the first post in question was originally adding nothing to the conversation but rather, pettily criticizing a decent and oscar-worthy performance, some backlash could possibly be merited, no?

Then again, I feel confused. And dizzy.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

well, when the first post in question was originally adding nothing to the conversation but rather, pettily criticizing a decent and oscar-worthy performance, some backlash could possibly be merited, no?

Then again, I feel confused. And dizzy.

You should. As you are not making any sense.

Go get some Tylenol.

U2@NYC said:

You should. As you are not making any sense.

Go get some Tylenol.

you should have realized that I was being tongue in cheek to show how ridiculous this argument is.

--
Getting back to the Reese debacle: Reese played a swee country girl. Reese IS a sweet country girl in real life. So, what could have possibly been so bad about the performance?? If anything, I thought it helped her dig a little deeper into the character.

in the past 24 hours i've seen both crash and brokeback mountain

it's impossible to me - IMPOSSIBLE - that crash won best picture

Earnie Shavers said:
Same. I saw both in the past two weeks and simply don't get it.

the CW is that "if you lived in LA, you'd love Crash" and that the vast majority of people who vote on the Oscars live in Los Angeles.

that, and the average age of a member of the Academy is nearly 60.

but, like you and bonosgirl, there's really no artistic comparison to be made between the films -- "brokeback" is the better film by far.

and i liked "crash."

Irvine511 said:
the CW is that "if you lived in LA, you'd love Crash" and that the vast majority of people who vote on the Oscars live in Los Angeles.

lol, i'm racking my brain, irvine, to figure out what CW stands for. but i do know that i spent nearly 30 years of my life in, near, and around los angeles and i still didn't love crash.

i have plenty of things to say about brokeback, though.

MrsSpringsteen said:
scariest pic I've found so far-Eddie Van Halen at the Elton John party

capt.camw12703061102.elton_john_oscar_party_camw127.jpg

oh. my. god.

I think David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen are officially in the "Extras in the Thriller Video" Pantheon of Decrepit Celebrities.

bonosgirl84 said:

lol, i'm racking my brain, irvine, to figure out what CW stands for. but i do know that i spent nearly 30 years of my life in, near, and around los angeles and i still didn't love crash.

i have plenty of things to say about brokeback, though.

eep, sorry. "CW" stands for Conventional Wisdom.

would love to hear your thoughts on Brokeback.

Irvine511 said:
would love to hear your thoughts on Brokeback.

i loved brokeback. it was an incredible film. the kind of film that stays with you for days. i went into it, of course, figuring that i would relate to the wives, but about halfway through, i realized i wasn't even watching a film about gay cowboys anymore. i was watching one of the most heartbreaking and tender love stories i have ever seen on film. i don't know, it's really hard for me to put into words why this was so important to me. do you understand what i mean?

bonosgirl84 said:

i loved brokeback. it was an incredible film. the kind of film that stays with you for days. i went into it, of course, figuring that i would relate to the wives, but about halfway through, i realized i wasn't even watching a film about gay cowboys anymore. i was watching one of the most heartbreaking and tender love stories i have ever seen on film. i don't know, it's really hard for me to put into words why this was so important to me. do you understand what i mean?

i totally understand.

i couldn't shake it for days.

as funny as some of the parodies are, they still make me a bit sad because they seem to be mocking a film that, at least for me, was one of the more meaningful and gut-wrenching film experiences i've ever had.

do you own the soundtrack? just one listen and all those emotions will come flooding back -- thank goodness it won best score.

Back
Top Bottom