Oscar Predictions - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 08:41 PM
I suppose that it would be wishful thinking that politics be left out of the ceremony.....

If "Paradise Now" wins for Best Foreign Film I can just imagine the Israel-bashing acceptance speech....not to mention what George Clooney might do if he wins.

I don't think Brokeback Mountain is going to win best picture cos I don't think Hollywood is ready yet to award movies with a gay theme.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Best Film: Looks like its going to be Brokeback Mountain.
Best Director: Ang Lee. But Speilberg could sneak it.
Best Actor: Personally I think Joaquin Phoenix shoyld win. But congrats to Phillip Seymor Hoffman if he wins it.
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon

Best sup. Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal
Best sup. Actress: Rachel Weisz

Best screenplay: Goodnight and good luck
Best Adapted screenplay: Brokeback Mountain or Munich

Best Sound Walk the Line

Best Animated: Wallace and Gromit

War of the Worlds or Kong for best visual effects.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

I just hope that Curse of the were rabbit wins

I can't even watch it cos it's not on BBC
Old 03-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
This is what I think will happen:

Best Film: Brokeback Mountain
Best Director: Ang Lee
Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon
Best Supporting Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal
Best Supporting Actress: Catherine Keener
I agree with this prediction

Edited to add: Actually I think Clooney will win Best Supporting Actor...
Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:41 PM
watching this on http://www.oscars.com/video/streaming.html
Old 03-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Crash won best picture. Pathetic.

Well, actually, these year's nominated movies were so pathetically bad that it is no suprise that a mediocre movie took it.

Terrible year for Hollywood. The box office shows it.

(and don't even get me started on Legally Blonde Reese Witherspoon winning best actress... )
Old 03-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC

(and don't even get me started on Legally Blonde Reese Witherspoon winning best actress... )
Hey, she was great in Walk the Line. In fact I enjoyed her performance more than Joaquin's and that's saying a lot because he was excellent.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Movie - Brokeback Mountain. I'd love to see Good Night and Good Luck win it instead, but that's chasing rainbows.

Director - Ang Lee.

Actress - Reese Witherspoon. Confirmed, done deal folks. She was the best part of Walk the Line, IMO. And that's saying a lot given how great Joaquin was.

Actor - Philip Seymour Hoffman. He'll take it.

Supporting actress - Rachel Weisz was excellent even if I thought Constant Gardener was rather meh. I think I went in with expectations that were too high.

Supporting actor - George Clooney. He's nominated for a number of things and since he won't win the others, they'll toss him this one as consolation. Which is fine because I love George.

So close...congrats.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Hey, she was great in Walk the Line. In fact I enjoyed her performance more than Joaquin's and that's saying a lot because he was excellent.
I personally thought the part was way too big for her. Way too big.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And, one more thing, wtf happened with those rappers winning best song...

Jesus, another embarassment...
Old 03-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wow, everything was incredibly predictable. Even the two that I thought might go in a different direction (Documentary and Animated Feature) both were handed out to the incredibly obvious choices (Penguins made the most $, Wallace and Gromit shorts have won two Oscars). Biggest disappointment was Witherspoon winning for Walk The Line (a horrid film with a horrid role), but I guess she deserves it for a lot of her previous work.

Only big shocker was obviously Crash taking home the big one. But whatever, they failed to nominate a lot of great films that should have trumped the others (Constant Gardener for Best Picture/Director.......Grizzly Man for Best Documentary........Turtles Can Fly for Best Foreign Film)........
Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #27
Refugee

This years Oscars were disgusting. Jon Stewart was the only saving grace. He kept making fun of what the Academy kept doing: "We're so great; we've made such a difference in the world; we started the civil rights movement."
There's no fucking way Witherspoon deserved that award. She essentially played herself in that film. It was such a safe pick over Felicity Huffman's portrayal of a transgender individual. What's next? Britany Spears winning a best actress oscar?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #28
MacPhisto's serving wench

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet

There's no fucking way Witherspoon deserved that award. She essentially played herself in that film. It was such a safe pick over Felicity Huffman's portrayal of a transgender individual. What's next? Britany Spears winning a best actress oscar?
While I acknowledge that Huffman's performance was stellar, I'm going to argue that Carter-Cash and Witherspoon are very similar people. I don't feel Reese was 'playing herself, ' but rather, playing a character similar to herself, her values, etc. Comparing her to Britney Spears is a little farfetched, don't you think? Certainly, her performance couldn't have been THAT bad....
Old 03-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I got all of my predictions correct, what do I win?

I knew it would be Crash, safe pick. I saw it so long ago but from what I remember it was as subtle as a sledgehammer, seemed more like a TV movie to me some good performances but as a film it just didn't wow me. I didn't see Transamerica but I did think Reese gave a great performance, never once did I think "hey that's Reese imitating June Carter Cash". That's the way of the Oscars, fair or not (and it is not)-a small movie like Transamerica usually doesn't have as much of a shot and it works against the actor/actress.

Jon Stewart did a decent job, not over the top which I liked. It did seem like many of his jokes fell flat.

As for dresses, I thought Keira Knightley's was gorgeous, didn't care for her hair but the dress and the necklace-wow. Also Jessica Alba, she looked gorgeous. Jennifer Garner looked beautiful, had to get up w/ JLo sitting right in front of her, awkward. Charlize-gorgeous woman but not my favorite look for her but she is always stunning.Michelle Williams looked very nice, she managed to carry off that color. Reese looked very pretty. Salma Hayek, wow that color was something else and she is just always hot period.

A few not so faves I can think of right now-Naomi Watts and Felicity Huffman- she has the body to carry off that dress so it looked great on her anyway. Her hair and makeup looked great. Helena Bonham Carter too, but she always dresses like that.

George Clooney looked gorgeous.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television WriterSun Mar 5, 11:46 PM ET

You would have been more amused Sunday night if you'd revved up your TiVo and played back an evening's worth of "Daily Show with Jon Stewart" reruns while you tracked Oscar winners on the Web.

Stewart, usually a very funny guy, displayed a lack of beginner's luck as first-time host of "The 78th Annual Academy Awards," which ABC aired live from Hollywood's Kodak Theatre.

His usually impeccable blend of puckishness and self-effacement fell flat in the service of Oscar. But he wasn't alone. The rest of the broadcast was largely bland and by-the-numbers.

Couldn't presenter Russell Crowe have departed from his script and clobbered someone (even Stewart) with a telephone, just to jazz things up?

Thank goodness for the occasional attempt at cleverness, as when the presenters for Best Makeup arrived on stage in foolishly awful makeup: Will Ferrell scarlet-faced and Steve Carell corpse-pale.

And in a funny bit, Tom Hanks demonstrated the Academy's new strategy for speeding up acceptance speeches. Onstage musicians not only surrounded him but physically assaulted him to keep it brief.

Wait, this wasn't too far from the truth. From the instant each Oscar recipient began speaking, the orchestra's mewling Lite-FM assault began stepping on the winner's remarks, as if to play them offstage before they'd even opened their mouths. It was distracting and obnoxious, and undercut what are, potentially, the night's grandest moments.

Also irksome: a prevailing message through the broadcast preaching that movies should be seen on the big screen of a movie house, presumably at full ticket price. (Remember, DVDs: bad.)

The broadcast began on a shaky note with a filmed intro that found past Oscar host Billy Crystal being introduced as this year's host, then declining, followed by Chris Rock, Steve Martin, Whoopi Goldberg, David Letterman, Mel Gibson, even Mr. Moviephone — none of whom wanted the gig.

That seemed to leave it to Stewart by default. Maybe it's come to this.

Sure, he's an outsider — a New York-based comic and TV personality. The sort of star who reminded the audience that "tonight is the night we celebrate excellence in film — with ME, the fourth male lead from 'Death to Smoochy.'"

But as the night wore on, Stewart proved too deferential, too nice and too obvious in his targets.

His biggest monologue laugh: In reference to the swan dress that singer Bjork wore to the 2001 Oscars, Stewart announced gravely that she wouldn't be on hand this year: She "was trying on her Oscar dress and Dick Cheney shot her." Tiresome squared.

Late in the broadcast, the flashy, high-amp hip-hop number "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" surely roused any dozing viewers. And once Three 6 Mafia members Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard had received their Oscars for Original Song, Stewart got a big laugh by observing, "I think it just got a little easier out here for a pimp."

But more typical were Stewart's misfires, one of which he tried to recover from in a desperate way unworthy of him: "I am a loser," he declared.

Not true. He's really funny. The many millions of Oscarcast viewers unfamiliar with Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" should tune in and see. If they do, that will make Stewart the biggest winner from Oscar night.