Oscar Nominations Announced Tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Did anyone watch the SAG Awards last night? Paul Giamatti won :dance: Looks like Philip Seymour Foffman is a shoo in for Best Actor Oscar, I'd say Reese is for best actress -but maybe Felicity Huffman will pull off an upset. Has anyone here seen Transamerica?

AFP

Hollywood was breathlessly counting down to Tuesday's Oscar nominations, with the gay cowboy tale "Brokeback Mountain" tipped to dominate the nods in a field led by smaller movies with weighty themes.

Taiwanese director Ang Lee's moving love story will lasso the lion's share of the nominations for cinema's top honours when they are announced at a short ceremony in Beverly Hills at 5:30 am (1330 GMT), awards experts predicted.

"The picture with most nominations on Tuesday will be 'Brokeback Mountain', I feel absolutely sure," said Tom O'Neil, an Oscars prognosticator for GoldDerby.com and TheEnvelope.com.

The controversial film, based on a short story by Annie Proulx, could snag as many as 10 of the coveted nominations including best picture, best director, best actor for Australian star Heath Ledger and twin best supporting actor nods for Jake Gyllenhaal and Michelle Williams and best adapted screenplay, he said.

Also expected to pull off nominations in the key categories are George Clooney's political drama "Good Night, And Good Luck," the racially-charged drama "Crash," "Walk The Line," a biopic about country star Johnny Cash, and "Capote," about US author Truman Capote, awards pundits said.

In an awards season in which those cheaper independent films have outshone the usual big studio fare, director Steven Spielberg's "Munich" is the only big-budget movie likely to make a splash at Tuesday's nominations, O'Neil said.

"I think it is the year of smaller films with independent spirits," the expert said.

"Hollywood is snubbing the big studios for making predictable blockbusters like a 'Superman 12', 'Batman 6' or 'Spider-Man 13' or pictures that are remakes like 'King Kong'."

In a somewhat lacklustre awards season, filmmaker Peter Jackson's 200-million-dollar epic "King Kong" and other grandiose productions have been largely ignored by other Hollywood awards juries.

"Brokeback," the undisputed early leader of the race for Oscars gold, was two weeks ago crowned best drama at the Golden Globe Awards and has also taken top honours at a host of other key awards.

The movie tells the story of two young farmhands who meet herding sheep in Wyoming in the 1960s and begin what becomes a conflicted, intense but unfulfilled two-decade relationship that is smothered in secrecy.

Clooney's "Good Night, And Good Luck," the true story of US newsman Edward Murrow's crusade against the repression of America's communist witch-hunt of the 1950s, has also swept up plaudits and is expected to shine in the Oscar nominations.

Clooney could well find himself nominated for best director, facing off against the likes of Lee, Paul Haggis for "Crash", Spielberg for "Munich", David Cronenberg for "A History of Violence," and James Mangold for "Walk the Line," starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon.

Possible contenders for best actor are Ledger, Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the title role in "Capote," Phoenix, David Strathairn for "Good Night, And Good Luck," Russell Crowe for "Cinderella Man" and Terrence Howard for "Hustle and Flow", pundits agree.

Best actress hopefuls could include Witherspoon, Felicity Huffman for her role as a transsexual in "Transamerica," Britain's Judi Dench for her role as a theatre owner in "Mrs Henderson Presents", South African Charlize Theron for her turn as a miner in "North Country," Joan Allen for "The Upside of Anger" and China's Zhang Ziyi for "Memoirs of a Geisha".

Clooney is expected to pop up again in the best supporting actor category for his role in "Syriana," about US oil policy in the Middle East, facing off against Gyllenhaal, Matt Dillon for "Crash," Paul Giamatti for "Cinderella Man" and Bob Hoskins in "Mrs Henderson".

Ledger's real-life partner Michelle Williams is a likely best supporting actress nominee for her role as his neglected screen wife in "Brokeback".

Also likely to win berths are Maria Bello for the crime drama "A History of Violence," Rachel Weisz for "The Constant Gardener," Amy Adams for "Junebug" and Catherine Keener for her role as Harper Lee in "Capote".

But as pundits laying odds on nominees, O'Neil warned that the unusually long gap between Tuesday's announcement and the March 5 Academy Awards ceremony means that even if "Brokeback" does dominate the nods, it could still lose out on Oscars gold.

"It's way, way out front but the race isn't over yet," he said, explaining that the 5,800-odd Oscars voters had a long time to change their minds this year.

I'm so glad Philip Seymour Hoffman is finally gaining mainstream attention and winning awards. He is phenomenal.

Everytime I see clips of Reese in Walk the Line she irritates the shit out of me. Is it just that the clips are bad, or is she really that annoying in the movie?

I would love to see Felicity Huffman walk away with best actress.

I watched the SAG awards. I admit, I watch most of the "Hollywood" award shows. I thought some of the categories were rather tough to decide. However, I hardly saw any of the movies nominated. I did see 'Walk The Line', and I want to see some more, especially before the Oscars. I want to see both Clooney movies, Brokeback Mountain, etc.

I was surprised that Paul Giamatti won supporting actor for Cinderella Man. I did see that movie... Not that he wasn't good, but...

I'm sure we'll have more to chat about after the nominations tomorrow :hyper:

Oh, and I taped the Shirley Temple Life Achievement Award portion. Our family are fans - she was just so adorable :cute:

HelloAngel said:

Everytime I see clips of Reese in Walk the Line she irritates the shit out of me. Is it just that the clips are bad, or is she really that annoying in the movie?

She is outstanding in the movie

1 Brokeback Mountain
2 Good Night and Good Luck
3 Walk the Line
4 A History of Violence
5 Munich

deep said:
ok

let's guess the 5 films nominated for best picture?

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Walk the Line
Good Night, and Good Luck
The Constant Gardener

Crash
Syriana
Munich
King Kong
Cinderella Man

they only nom 5

i put kong at 9

only because they did give LOTR some noms

these are not necessarily my top 10

just the ones
I am guessing might get the Oscar nods

Brokeback Mountain
The Constant Gardener
Crash
Munich
Walk the Line

That's my guess for best pic noms, although I'm iffy on Munich. I haven't seen it, but I think something else might snatch the nom. I'd wager King Kong won't be that movie.

Am I the only one who didn't think Crash was that good? I found it so over the top.

anitram said:
Am I the only one who didn't think Crash was that good? I found it so over the top.

I have lived in the greater L A area my whole life

and the characters were not that over the top.

The film is really good.

have you all seen the movies you consider top 10 (listed so far)?

side note to Deep - did you like 'Falling Down' with Michael Douglas (filmed in L.A., and I'm from L.A., so...)

deep said:

I have lived in the greater L A area my whole life

and the characters were not that over the top.

It's not the characters that were over the top, it's that the entire scenario seemed OTT to me. To have basically single representatives of the same race all together at the same time expressing themselves in the way they did - I found it unbelievable. However, it should be noted I am generally not a fan of films where every character and storyline is interconnected. They always play out unbelievably to me at least in certain moments. Either way, I thought Crash was a decent movie, but Oscar worthy? No.

I did enjoy Syriana, however, which would fit that genre.

Lila64 said:
have you all seen the movies you consider top 10 (listed so far)?

side note to Deep - did you like 'Falling Down' with Michael Douglas (filmed in L.A., and I'm from L.A., so...)

yes
i have seen all 10

i have not seen
the Judy Dench Presents movie
or
Memoirs of a Geisha, I will see it soon.

I liked Falling Down, ok

I enjoyed the location shots,
I knew them all

i did not like the story line that much
the lead character just seemed to hate minorities

Last edited:
anitram said:

However, it should be noted I am generally not a fan of films where every character and storyline is interconnected. They always play out unbelievably to me at least in certain moments. Either way, I thought Crash was a decent movie, but Oscar worthy? No.

I did enjoy Syriana, however, which would fit that genre.

I hear you

I do like them
if they work

Magnolia - PT Anderson
Short Cuts - Altman

both fit the genre and worked

i liked Syriana, too

anitram said:

I didn't think it was all that special, but I still think the Academy will nominate it. :wink:

I haven't seen all the movies mentioned, but I'm an avid follower of pop culture and the entertainment biz, and like to make predictions based on reviews, public reaction, previous picks by the Academy, and general brouhaha.

I've heard really good things about that documentary produced by Brad Pitt, so I'm assuming that's a lock for a nomination.

a couple of "surprises" so far

Keira Knightley - actress
William Hurt in History Of Violence-supporting
Terrence Howard instead of Russell Crowe (for Hustle and Flow)

Capote
Crash
Brokeback Mountain
Munich
Good Night and Good Luck

The nominees for best actor are Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Capote"), Heath Ledger ("Brokeback Mountain"), Joaquin Phoenix ("Walk the Line"), David Strathairn ("Good Night, and Good Luck") and Terrence Howard ("Hustle & Flow").

The nominees for best actress are Felicity Huffman ("Transamerica"), Reese Witherspoon ("Walk the Line"), Charlize Theron ("North Country"), Judi Dench ("Mrs. Henderson Presents") and Keira Knightley ("Pride and Prejudice").

The nominees for best supporting actor are Paul Giamatti ("Cinderella Man"), George Clooney ("Syriana"), Matt Dillon ("Crash"), Jake Gyllenhaal ("Brokeback Mountain") and William Hurt ("A History of Violence").

The nominees for best supporting actress are Rachel Weisz ("The Constant Gardener"), Amy Adams ("Junebug"), Catherine Keener ("Capote"), Frances McDormand ("North Country") and Michelle Williams ("Brokeback Mountain").

The nominees for best director are Paul Haggis ("Crash"), Ang Lee ("Brokeback Mountain"), Bennett Miller ("Capote"), George Clooney ("Good Night, and Good Luck") and Steven Spielberg ("Munich").

The nominees for best original screenplay are "Crash," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Match Point," "The Squid and the Whale," and "Syriana."

Last edited:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....KIERA KNIGHTLY? :huh:
And A History of Violence?? Come on. A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE? That movie looked like a Lifetime special.
But I'm uber happy about the Crash nominations. :drool: :drool:

Hmmm.....can someone explain THIS to me?

From the official Oscars website:

+++

"PARADISE NOW"
Palestine
Directed by Hany Abu-Assad

ACADEMY AWARDS HISTORY
This is the first Academy Award nomination for Palestine.

FILM SYNOPSIS
Over the course of twenty-seven hours, two young Palestinian men prepare themselves for a suicide bombing mission. For Said and Khaled, everyday life comes to an abrupt end when they are contacted by the guerrilla group to which they both belong and begin the process of taking their leave of family and friends.

+++

Is it my mistake or is this the first time an Oscar nomination goes to a country that doesn't exist?

Can anyone tell me where Palestine is?

Back
Top Bottom