Oscar Nominations Announced Tomorrow - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Yeah, I am not pleased with Crash's nom either. But I really think Brokeback and Munich deserve to be there. Good Night was very good but somehow I found it both too blunt and too subtle at the same time (if that makes any sense). Haven't seen Capote, I really need to. Have you seen these movies? If not, then you should before complaining. If you have seen them, then I will kindly back off.

I would argue that Jake Gyllenhaal is supporting but I realize that he probably has enough screen time to be leading as well - I think he had about 10 minutes less than Heath total.
I have seen them all, yes.

But perhaps the most terrifying of all: when I turned on CNN this morning and then were reporting the nominations (as if this were somehow "news"), they inexplicably listed Charlize Theron as having been nominated for Aeon Flux. I almost bought a ticket to LA to start kicking some fucking ass. Regardless of individual opinions of the films both nominated and omitted, I think we can all agree that the despicableness which that nomination would've been would even have trumped the inexplicable nominations for Theron and Knightley. Not to mention, as others have, the nod to Michelle Williams for looking uglier than usual and crying a lot.

Big fucking deal. You should see me in the mornings, people. I guess I'm Oscar-worthy, too...

Old 01-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:21 PM
I hate to break it to you and crush your indignation, but Charlize Theron was nominated for North Country, not Aeon Flux.

(Or are you saying the presentator screwed up, or they had the wrong graphic on the screen or something at the event?)

Old 01-31-2006, 02:36 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I hate to break it to you and crush your indignation, but Charlize Theron was nominated for North Country, not Aeon Flux.

(Or are you saying the presentator screwed up, or they had the wrong graphic on the screen or something at the event?)
Yeah, it was the wrong graphic. I mean, she sucked in North Country--let's make no mistake of that. But even the shadiness of that PALES in comparison to the shadiness which that graphic claimed had taken place.

Just goes to show how bad things really are if I ended up breathing a sigh of relief at the real nomination.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, it's like you said - ugly and crying = nomination. Just like how mentally retarded character = nomination.

While Charlize deserved her nomination and win for Monster, North Country pales in comparison by about a million, from what I've heard.

The critics mostly panned North Country, but strong female lead roles are few and far between, and have been for a while. You'll have loads of male actors who could easily get a well-deserved nomination in the lead actor category, but other than one or two easy guesses (Reese and Felicity, for instance) in the actress category, the other noms could easily be seen as weaker (Charlize, Keira), like they just said, "Well, we might as nominate them, because who else is there this year".
Old 01-31-2006, 05:59 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 08:21 PM
yay for crash, it was the best movie i saw all year, more by default than anything else, since nothing really amazed me this year.

reese witherspoon all the way for best actress, she was fantastic in an average movie.

ditto phillip seymour hoffman for capote. actually, i think he's been much better in other movies, but i just want to see him finally get recognized.

of the best picture noms, i haven't seen brokeback mountain or munich. i really wanna see the squid + the whale, i've heard it's great. typically the movies that get nominated/win for best screenplay are better than the best picture movies.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #51
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Who I Want to Win...

Best Picture: Munich
Best Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon
Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti
Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz
Best Director: Steven Spielberg

Who I Think Will Win...

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor: Heath Ledger
Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti
Best Director: Ang Lee

Best Actor was the hardest, because I think Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix did amazing jobs in their respective movies

but they won't win, because everyone has "Brokeback Fever"

I thought Peter Jackson did a great job with King Kong as well, does your movie have to be nominated to be nominated in that category?

also, I agree with the Actress categories, there really was a lack of amazing performances this year in that category
Old 02-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Who I Think Will Win...

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor: Hoffman
Best Supporting Actor: Cloony
Best Director: Ang Lee
Old 02-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Yes, but what ROTK has over those two films is that it won EVERY Oscar it was nominated for. The film went a staggering 11 for 11.

Also, A History of Violence is pretty far from a Lifetime special. David Cronenberg has made some of the creepiest films ever (Naked Lunch, Dead Ringers, Crash <1996>, Videodrome, Scanners), and although his latest is a bit more restrained, it causes the viewer to ask a lot of questions of themselves and how they feel about violence--towards strangers, relatives, enemies, and in art itself. An extremely powerful film, and says a hell of a lot more about human nature than the contrived and overly manipulative Crash that was nominated.

One of the other unfortunate also-rans was The Constant Gardener, a very artistic film that managed to be politically relevant and very moving at the same time. It was recognized for supporting actress (a brilliant Rachel Weisz), editing, adapted screenplay, and score, but it should have garnered much more.

The New World received little love (cinematography nomination only), but considering the idiots who populate the Academy that doesn't surprise me.

Go Brokeback.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 PM
After seeing Capote last night I understand the hype about Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance and agree with it, he was superb

Very good movie, I wouldn't vote for it for best picture but it is worthy of a nomination in my humble opinion