Oscar Nominations Announced Tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A History of Violence was supposed to be very good. I can't wait to see it on DVD.

I'm surprised Capote was nommed for best picture - I thought it would be too small a movie, despite the critical raves. I really want to see that one, too. I see Phillip Seymour Hoffman winning the Oscar over Joaquin Phoenix.

Also a nice surprise to see Terrence Howard nominated. I wasn't impressed with him in Crash, but then I watched Hustle and Flow this weekend, and he blew me away.

I can't believe Walk the Line and Hustle and Flow was not nominated for an Oscar.

Here are my picks on who will win:

Best Actor: This one is hard. I'm picking between Joaquin Phoenix and Terrence Howard. Terrence is such an in depth actor. Plus he's nice on the eyes. :wink:

Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon. She did a really good job in the movie.

Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams. That would be interesting to see someone from Dawson's Creek win an Oscar! :huh: I haven't watched Brokeback Mountain but I heard that she was really good in it.

Supporting Actor: I really would like George Clooney to win. Matt Dillon I want to win also.

Best Director: Really good directors in here but I would pick Ang Lee.

Best Movie: Either Brokeback Mountain or Good Night and Good Luck.

I don't think she's going to win, but I'm thrilled that Amy Adams got a supporting actress nomination for "Junebug." She was brilliant in that movie and a true find. I really hope to see more of her.

I just watched Junebug, and Amy Adams was the best thing in the movie. I didn't much care for the movie, but she was awesome.

My picks for the major categories:

Best Picture-Crash
Best Actor-Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Best Actress-Felicity Huffman
Best Supporting Actor-George Clooney
Best Supporting Actress-Rachel Weisz
Best Director-Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain

I haven't laughed this hard in ages. What a great way to start the day: turning on the television to hear about who/what has been "honored" with a nomination (or several). Nothing like starting things off with a laugh, right? Gets you feeling positive...though perhaps a little bit less sure of the general mental health of the peeps all up in the American film industry. Good times, regardless. I love a good knee-slapper.

Crash being nominated over Walk the Line :down:

And in much lesser importance, how the hell did Narnia get nominated for Visual Effects over Harry Potter and Star Wars? Narnia's effects and sets reminded me of those cheesy and lame (but I must admit fun) 80's fantasies such as Labyrinth and The Neverending Story.

If you shout... said:
I haven't laughed this hard in ages. What a great way to start the day: turning on the television to hear about who/what has been "honored" with a nomination (or several). Nothing like starting things off with a laugh, right? Gets you feeling positive...though perhaps a little bit less sure of the general mental health of the peeps all up in the American film industry. Good times, regardless. I love a good knee-slapper.

I realized a bunch of years ago that the Academy Awards don't deserve to be taken quite so seriously, and a lot (a LOT, a lot, a lot) of people would agree with that. I mean, they gave the best picture award to Titanic, for pete's sake. I know it's all subjective, but come on!

Now I just watch them for entertainment value. :wink:

If you shout... said:

If you are going to give us a big rant, at least say what you think should be nominated

It's been so long since I saw Crash that I barely remember it. I would have nominated Don Cheadle over Matt Dillon. I thought Walk the Line was a fantastic movie, perhaps the "socially relevant" theme of Crash gave it the edge.

The Oscars are completely subjective, and how do you compare performances in such widely diverse films and roles anyway? :shrug:

well, I just reviewed the list and I'm glad to see George Clooney on there. I didn't see either movie yet, but it's on my list of things to do. Just proud of him and for being recognized. The only movies I think I got to see :reject: were Walk The Line and Cinderella Man. All the post-release hype for CM, I believe, was to get it nominated for movie & actors, but that only worked for Giamatti. Very interesting... :hmm:

bsp77 said:

If you are going to give us a big rant, at least say what you think should be nominated

A "big rant." Shit's like less than a hundred words or something, for fuck's sake...

Anyway. I can't think of any film released in 2005 that deserves to be nominated for, as an example, best picture other than Grizzly Man, 2046, or perhaps Brokeback Mountain. Howl's Moving Castle is at least worthy of an animated picture winner, but that's the only other film I liked enough even to consider. And it clearly ain't that good. I didn't see a single other picture last year which I would ever watch again for its artistic merit. Maybe to laugh at or study, yeah...but not to "enjoy" or appreciate. Ugh.

How Timothy Treadwell wasn't nominated for best leading actor is unfathomable. Same for Tony Leung.

How the fuck is Jake Gyllenhal a supporting player in Brokeback Mountain...? Oh, yeah...he's fucking not. Good call.

Crash was the single worst (or at least most offensive/irresponsible, though King Kong did it's God-damndest) film released last year and it is nominated for Best Picture. Do I really need to say anything else...?

If you shout... said:
How the fuck is Jake Gyllenhal a supporting player in Brokeback Mountain...? Oh, yeah...he's fucking not. Good call.

Crash was the single worst (or at least most offensive/irresponsible, though King Kong did it's God-damndest) film released last year and it is nominated for Best Picture. Do I really need to say anything else...?

Jake G being nominated for a supporting role likely is due to the studio's campaign, not the Academy's choice. The studio probably pushed Heath for best actor and Jake for supporting, maybe so they wouldn't cancel each other out in the lead category.

I didn't think Crash was offensive or irresponsible, but it took an awfully long time to deliver its message, which could have been said in one sentence: "everyone's a little bit racist, and gosh, that's a bad thing!"

I thought Crash sucked. Period. Overbaked and bloated. But a great cast, nonetheless.

Michelle Williams yelling or crying in a kitchen does not equal award-winning acting. I've always liked her, just don't feel what she did in Brokeback was the revelation the breathless press would like for us to call it as. Amy Adams or Keener have this one locked up.

If you shout... said:

A "big rant." Shit's like less than a hundred words or something, for fuck's sake...

Anyway. I can't think of any film released in 2005 that deserves to be nominated for, as an example, best picture other than Grizzly Man, 2046, or perhaps Brokeback Mountain. Howl's Moving Castle is at least worthy of an animated picture winner, but that's the only other film I liked enough even to consider. And it clearly ain't that good. I didn't see a single other picture last year which I would ever watch again for its artistic merit. Maybe to laugh at or study, yeah...but not to "enjoy" or appreciate. Ugh.

How Timothy Treadwell wasn't nominated for best leading actor is unfathomable. Same for Tony Leung.

Yeah, I am not pleased with Crash's nom either. But I really think Brokeback and Munich deserve to be there. Good Night was very good but somehow I found it both too blunt and too subtle at the same time (if that makes any sense). Haven't seen Capote, I really need to. Have you seen these movies? If not, then you should before complaining. If you have seen them, then I will kindly back off. :wink:

I would argue that Jake Gyllenhaal is supporting but I realize that he probably has enough screen time to be leading as well - I think he had about 10 minutes less than Heath total.

bsp77 said:

Yeah, I am not pleased with Crash's nom either. But I really think Brokeback and Munich deserve to be there. Good Night was very good but somehow I found it both too blunt and too subtle at the same time (if that makes any sense). Haven't seen Capote, I really need to. Have you seen these movies? If not, then you should before complaining. If you have seen them, then I will kindly back off. :wink:

I would argue that Jake Gyllenhaal is supporting but I realize that he probably has enough screen time to be leading as well - I think he had about 10 minutes less than Heath total.

I have seen them all, yes.

But perhaps the most terrifying of all: when I turned on CNN this morning and then were reporting the nominations (as if this were somehow "news"), they inexplicably listed Charlize Theron as having been nominated for Aeon Flux. I almost bought a ticket to LA to start kicking some fucking ass. Regardless of individual opinions of the films both nominated and omitted, I think we can all agree that the despicableness which that nomination would've been would even have trumped the inexplicable nominations for Theron and Knightley. Not to mention, as others have, the nod to Michelle Williams for looking uglier than usual and crying a lot.

Big fucking deal. You should see me in the mornings, people. I guess I'm Oscar-worthy, too...

I hate to break it to you and crush your indignation, but Charlize Theron was nominated for North Country, not Aeon Flux.

:wink:

(Or are you saying the presentator screwed up, or they had the wrong graphic on the screen or something at the event?)

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
I hate to break it to you and crush your indignation, but Charlize Theron was nominated for North Country, not Aeon Flux.

:wink:

(Or are you saying the presentator screwed up, or they had the wrong graphic on the screen or something at the event?)

Yeah, it was the wrong graphic. I mean, she sucked in North Country--let's make no mistake of that. But even the shadiness of that PALES in comparison to the shadiness which that graphic claimed had taken place.

Just goes to show how bad things really are if I ended up breathing a sigh of relief at the real nomination. :wink:

Well, it's like you said - ugly and crying = nomination. Just like how mentally retarded character = nomination.

While Charlize deserved her nomination and win for Monster, North Country pales in comparison by about a million, from what I've heard.

The critics mostly panned North Country, but strong female lead roles are few and far between, and have been for a while. You'll have loads of male actors who could easily get a well-deserved nomination in the lead actor category, but other than one or two easy guesses (Reese and Felicity, for instance) in the actress category, the other noms could easily be seen as weaker (Charlize, Keira), like they just said, "Well, we might as nominate them, because who else is there this year".

yay for crash, it was the best movie i saw all year, more by default than anything else, since nothing really amazed me this year.

reese witherspoon all the way for best actress, she was fantastic in an average movie.

ditto phillip seymour hoffman for capote. actually, i think he's been much better in other movies, but i just want to see him finally get recognized.

of the best picture noms, i haven't seen brokeback mountain or munich. i really wanna see the squid + the whale, i've heard it's great. typically the movies that get nominated/win for best screenplay are better than the best picture movies.

Who I Want to Win...

Best Picture: Munich
Best Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon
Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti
Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz
Best Director: Steven Spielberg

Who I Think Will Win...

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor: Heath Ledger
Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti
Best Director: Ang Lee

Best Actor was the hardest, because I think Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix did amazing jobs in their respective movies

but they won't win, because everyone has "Brokeback Fever" :huh:

I thought Peter Jackson did a great job with King Kong as well, does your movie have to be nominated to be nominated in that category?

also, I agree with the Actress categories, there really was a lack of amazing performances this year in that category

Last edited:
Who I Think Will Win...

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor: Hoffman
Best Supporting Actor: Cloony
Best Director: Ang Lee

Yes, but what ROTK has over those two films is that it won EVERY Oscar it was nominated for. The film went a staggering 11 for 11.

Also, A History of Violence is pretty far from a Lifetime special. David Cronenberg has made some of the creepiest films ever (Naked Lunch, Dead Ringers, Crash <1996>, Videodrome, Scanners), and although his latest is a bit more restrained, it causes the viewer to ask a lot of questions of themselves and how they feel about violence--towards strangers, relatives, enemies, and in art itself. An extremely powerful film, and says a hell of a lot more about human nature than the contrived and overly manipulative Crash that was nominated.

One of the other unfortunate also-rans was The Constant Gardener, a very artistic film that managed to be politically relevant and very moving at the same time. It was recognized for supporting actress (a brilliant Rachel Weisz), editing, adapted screenplay, and score, but it should have garnered much more.

The New World received little love (cinematography nomination only), but considering the idiots who populate the Academy that doesn't surprise me.

Go Brokeback.

After seeing Capote last night I understand the hype about Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance and agree with it, he was superb

Very good movie, I wouldn't vote for it for best picture but it is worthy of a nomination in my humble opinion

Back
Top Bottom