Oscar Nominations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saoirse Ronan and Amy Ryan for supporting actress

Cate Blanchett got supporting and best actress. Ellen Page for Best actress. Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Daniel Day Lewis, Viggo, Tommy Lee Jones for best actor

Atonement, Juno, Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men for Best Picture

Performance by an actor in a leading role
George Clooney in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)
Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)
Johnny Depp in "Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (DreamWorks and Warner Bros., Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)
Tommy Lee Jones in "In the Valley of Elah" (Warner Independent)
Viggo Mortensen in "Eastern Promises" (Focus Features)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Casey Affleck in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (Warner Bros.)
Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War" (Universal)
Hal Holbrook in "Into the Wild" (Paramount Vantage and River Road Entertainment)
Tom Wilkinson in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" (Universal)
Julie Christie in "Away from Her" (Lionsgate)
Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose" (Picturehouse)
Laura Linney in "The Savages" (Fox Searchlight)
Ellen Page in "Juno" (Fox Searchlight)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Cate Blanchett in "I'm Not There" (The Weinstein Company)
Ruby Dee in "American Gangster" (Universal)
Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement" (Focus Features)
Amy Ryan in "Gone Baby Gone" (Miramax)
Tilda Swinton in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

Best animated feature film of the year
"Persepolis" (Sony Pictures Classics): Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud
"Ratatouille" (Walt Disney): Brad Bird
"Surf's Up" (Sony Pictures Releasing): Ash Brannon and Chris Buck

Achievement in cinematography
"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (Warner Bros.): Roger Deakins
"Atonement" (Focus Features): Seamus McGarvey
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn): Janusz Kaminski
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage): Roger Deakins
"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax): Robert Elswit

Achievement in costume design
"Across the Universe" (Sony Pictures Releasing) Albert Wolsky
"Atonement" (Focus Features) Jacqueline Durran
"Elizabeth: The Golden Age" (Universal) Alexandra Byrne
"La Vie en Rose" (Picturehouse) Marit Allen
"Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (DreamWorks and Warner Bros., Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount) Colleen Atwood

Achievement in directing
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn), Julian Schnabel
"Juno" (Fox Searchlight), Jason Reitman
"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.), Tony Gilroy
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax), Paul Thomas Anderson

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
"Atonement" (Focus Features) Dario Marianelli
"The Kite Runner" (DreamWorks, Sidney Kimmel Entertainment and Participant Productions, Distributed by Paramount Classics): Alberto Iglesias
"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.) James Newton Howard
"Ratatouille" (Walt Disney) Michael Giacchino
"3:10 to Yuma" (Lionsgate) Marco Beltrami

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
"Falling Slowly" from "Once" (Fox Searchlight) Music and Lyric by Glen Hansard and: Marketa Irglova
"Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted" (Walt Disney): Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Stephen Schwartz
"Raise It Up" from "August Rush" (Warner Bros.): Nominees to be determined
"So Close" from "Enchanted" (Walt Disney): Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Stephen Schwartz
"That's How You Know" from "Enchanted" (Walt Disney): Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Stephen Schwartz

Adapted screenplay
"Atonement" (Focus Features), Screenplay by Christopher Hampton
"Away from Her" (Lionsgate), Written by Sarah Polley
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn), Screenplay by Ronald Harwood
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax), Written for the screen by Paul Thomas Anderson

Original screenplay
"Juno" (Fox Searchlight), Written by Diablo Cody
"Lars and the Real Girl" (MGM), Written by Nancy Oliver
"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.), Written by Tony Gilroy
"Ratatouille" (Walt Disney), Screenplay by Brad Bird; Story by Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Brad Bird
"The Savages" (Fox Searchlight), Written by Tamara Jenkins

Last edited:
No nominations for Ed Vedder or Jonny Greenwood = LAME. The rock stars get no love.

Ellen Page is cuter than cute so I'm rooting for her and for 'Juno' to take as much as it can.

I'm also rooting hard for Mr. Depp to take down the Best Actor trophy. 'Sweeney Todd' was literally bloody brilliant and I'd like to see an acceptance speech from him.

Either way I love the Oscars and can't wait for the ceremony (which I'm nearly positive will go off without a hitch)

I don't think there's any way Johnny can beat Daniel Day Lewis, haven't seen There Will Be Blood but from everything I have read he's a slam dunk for that award

Eddie should have gotten one, three for Enchanted is ridiculous

I am so frigging PROUD!

The Israeli film "Bufor" was nominated for best foreign film!!!!

The last time Israel was nominated was in 1984 for the film: "Behind the bars".

GO ISRAEL!!!!

*waves flag proudly*

As a whole, a lot like what I would have predicted, but there are a few genuine surprises there.

Don't really care that Vedder didn't get nominated, because "Falling Slowly" has always deserved to win that award.

And also, that's one of the most mouth-watering list of DP's I've seen nominated in years. What a great year for cinematography. :drool:

Oh brother, I guess I'm going to have to go see Juno to see what all the fuss is about. It just looks like one of those movies where if you've seen the trailer you've seen the movie, and every time I say that about a movie people say, "no no, you have to see it, this one's different" and then I go see it and wish I hadn't because I saw the trailer therefore the film.

But, I did go add some things to my netflix cue immediately that I haven't seen yet, like Away from Her.

I am SO HAPPY with Hal Holbrook's nomination for supporting actor. He was so moving in Into the Wild. I really, really hope he wins.

I'm overall very pleased with the nominations. Yay, Oscar season!

The animated category always makes me laugh... Why don't they just give the award to Pixar every year?

Don't get me wrong, I know there are better animated films out there but the academy continues to ignore them...

Japanese animators especially (Miyazaki being the exception) seem to get the shaft...

But seriously, Reitman's directing nom is completely bogus. They couldn't find another greater "achievement in directing" this year?

Not
Joe Wright
Sidney Lumet
Andrew Dominik
Ang Lee
Todd Haynes
David Cronenberg
Ben Affleck
David Fincher
?

Bogus.

U2isthebest said:
How Emile Hirsch didn't get a Best Actor nod for "Into the Wild" is beyond me.:|

5 better performances? :wink:

They just picked the wrong ones though. Should have been:

Daniel Day-Lewis
Viggo Mortensen
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Brad Pitt
George Clooney/Tony Leung/Tommy Lee Jones (for No Country)

elevated_u2_fan said:

was Pitt that good in TAOJJ?

:yes:

Even though it was really the supporting role, that's not how the studio has been promoting it. But yes, he was that good.

I think Best Actor is the strongest category this year. It would be hard for anyone to slip in there.

Happy to see Laura Linney get a Best Actress nod, instead of Angelina Jolie! :wink:

Very happy for Hal Holbrook, but Javier Bardem has this one pretty much wrapped up.

Haven't seen Juno, and i'm sure Ellen Page is charming, but is it really Best Actress calibur?

I'm sad about Eddie Vedder too. I would have loved to see him perform Guaranteed live. Oh well. :(

How many Elizabeth's has Cate Blanchett been in? It is like Helen Mirren's Elizabeth's.....you could be whoopi goldberg, star in Elizabeth and be nominated for an Oscar...there are plenty of other actors to consider in other roles IMO:|

Sicko was nominated

Best documentary feature

"No End in Sight" (Magnolia Pictures) A Representational Pictures Production: Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs

"Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience" (The Documentary Group) A Documentary Group Production: Richard E. Robbins

"Sicko" (Lionsgate and The Weinstein Company) A Dog Eat Dog Films Production: Michael Moore and Meghan O'Hara

"Taxi to the Dark Side" (THINKFilm) An X-Ray Production: Alex Gibney and Eva Orner

"War/Dance" (THINKFilm) A Shine Global and Fine Films Production: Andrea Nix Fine and Sean Fine

^^LOL at the Elizabeth thing. I've wondered the same thing.
Cate Blanchett is a great actress though, so i'm glad she got the nomination instead of someone like Keira Knightley, who does the same damn performance in movie after movie.

On that note, what is the big deal with this Atonement movie? Is it really that good?

Back
Top Bottom