Oscar Nominations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ellen Page!!!! :up: :up:

:shifty:

omgsurgfgdfsgfdgcl7.gif

corianderstem said:
Travolta's performance had mixed reviews - some thought it was great, others thought it was ridiculous.

No shock he's not nominated.

But yeah, I agree that this trend of nominating multiple songs from the same movie is annoying. Sure, maybe they have different songwriters for each song, but come on!

Not even that.

Wish Alan Rickman had got a nomination for best support in Sweeney Todd :( he's such an amazing actor that he deserves something big! :applaud: :love:

corianderstem said:
Travolta's performance had mixed reviews - some thought it was great, others thought it was ridiculous.

i put it in the "ridiculous" category.

he tried so hard to ruin the movie, but not even he could destroy such a wonderful piece of technicolor pop magic.

I thought the movie was delightful. Travolta didn't bother me much; I mostly thought he was enjoyable.

Irvine511 said:

i put it in the "ridiculous" category.

Me, too. I thought he was nothing short of horrible and embarrassing. It wasn't acting, it was....I don't know what the hell it was, it was put on a wig and purse your lips and pretend to act.

I thought the girl (the star, what's her name, Nikki something) was wonderful although I lost all respect when I saw how she screamed and screamed and screamed over her Golden Globe nomination.

I can't wait for Sunday, I love the Oscars. That would be something if Clooney won, I just can't believe he would beat DDL and the reaction would sure be interesting :corn:

Best actor, actress races tighten ahead of Oscars

By Jill Serjeant Reuters

For weeks, Britons Daniel Day-Lewis and Julie Christie have looked like sure bets to win the coveted best actor and actress Academy Awards, but in the days ahead of Sunday's gala ceremony, momentum has shifted.

Hollywood enjoys surprises on the movie industry's most prestigious night, and pundits think popular actor George Clooney and little-known French actress Marion Cotillard would be wise to start practicing their acceptance speeches.

"There is no such thing as a shoo-in at the Oscars. Hollywood is a town of bull-headed, contrary-minded people," said Tom O'Neil, columnist for www.TheEnvelope.com.

Day-Lewis, 50, an actor known for lengthy preparation, is well-liked by Academy voters. He won an Oscar playing a man who overcomes cerebral palsy in 1989's "My Left Foot," and has been nominated two other times for "In the Name of the Father" and "Gangs of New York."

This awards season, he has earned numerous honors playing a sadistic, early 20th century oil prospector in dark drama "There Will Be Blood" -- only his fourth film in a decade. Yet, Oscar watchers say, his work is as sharp as ever.

"Day-Lewis hasn't really lost anything. Even if you don't like the movie, it's a big performance and he dominates the film," said Pete Hammond, movie critic for Maxim magazine.

But opinions are split over the film's overall appeal, and Oscar voters prefer inspiring characters over villains.

"Clooney's never been nominated for lead actor and in 'Michael Clayton' he's a hero who sheds his evil ways, so the question is, how Clooney-crazy is Hollywood?" said O'Neil.

Moreover, Clooney's "Michael Clayton," a thriller about unmasking corporate misdeeds, is well-liked with seven nods including best picture, director and supporting actress and actor.

Johnny Depp ("Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"), Tommy Lee Jones ("Into the Valley of Elah") and Viggo Mortenson ("Eastern Promises") are also best actor nominees.

MORE DRAMA THAN EXPECTED

Julie Christie, 66, who has managed to be both revered and reclusive, has won universal acclaim for her portrayal of a woman with Alzheimer's disease in "Away From Her." The role earned her the Golden Globe award for best dramatic actress.

"It's a good film that deals with a relevant social problem in a realistic way, and people are always saying there are no good roles for women of a certain age," said Emanuel Levy, author of "All About Oscar."

The actress earned her fourth Academy Award nomination and looked set to take home her second Oscar statuette 42 years after her win for the Swinging Sixties London movie "Darling."

That was before Cotillard took the British BAFTA award on Christie's home turf on February 10 for playing singer Edith Piaf in the French-language movie "La Vie En Rose." She also won the Golden Globe for best actress in a musical or comedy.

"It is difficult to win when your movie is in a foreign language and it is not widely seen. But when people do see it, they are just blown away by her performance," said Hammond.

Oscar voters also favor youth. In the last 15 years, only two women over 50 -- including last year's winner Helen Mirren -- have won in the acting category. Cotillard is 32.

Cotillard would be the second best-actress winner for a foreign language film. The first was Sophia Loren.

Newcomer Ellen Page who plays a sarcastic pregnant teen in the comedy "Juno" could prove a wild card, with Laura Linney ("The Savages") and Cate Blanchett ("Elizabeth: The Golden Age") rounding out the nominees.

I haven't seen either La Vie en Rose or Away From Her, but I'd like Julie Christie to win just so someone playing a real life person doesn't win the Oscar. It's got a bit silly in recent years with impersonations winning acting honours.

I saw La Vie En Rose last night, and while I agree with you about "impersonations," while I've heard Cotillard got Edith Piaf down cold, you can't ignore that she was acting. And doing a damned good job of it. No comparison at all between her performance and ... oh, say, Jamie Foxx.

I'm rooting for her.

(bear in mind I have not seen Away From Her, so can only judge on what I have seen.)

I'm extremely ill-informed on the Best Actress nominees this year. Normally I've seen more (I think last year I had seen all 5) but this year only Page in Juno, and I'm not rooting for her.

From the clips that I've seen, I'm having a hard time imagining anything more impressive than what Cotillard's done.

Back
Top Bottom