Oscar Nominations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton are both deserving in the supporting categories but I doubt they'll win. They'd get my votes, though.

I never saw the Elizabeth sequel, I loved the original and didn't want to ruin that after I read the reviews. But out of the movies I've seen I would have picked Amy Adams in Enchanted, she is perfect in that part and it's mighty tough to make that believable.

corianderstem said:
I am SO HAPPY with Hal Holbrook's nomination for supporting actor. He was so moving in Into the Wild. I really, really hope he wins.

I'm overall very pleased with the nominations. Yay, Oscar season!

True, but Pixar didn't win last year. Happy Feet beat out Cars!!

Also, I can't decide between Daniel Day-Lewis (whom I love and gave a great performance again) and Viggo. Johnny Depp was good but not as brilliant as Daniel or Viggo.

Last edited:
While I'm not a fan of Paul Haggis, I thought In The Valley of Elah was a good film and that Jones was actually better in it than he was in No Country For Old Men, even if he was thematically the main character in the latter (and more resonant) film.

And I love, Lance, how you still managed to exclude Sean Penn from your "directors that deserved a nom over Jason Reitman".

I wasn't as crazy about Into the Wild as most people but I do find Sean Penn's absence from a directorial nom to be odd. I do think he's deserving of a nomination.

I think Angelina Jolie is also deserving of a nomination. I'm not even a fan but she was fantastic in A Mighty Heart.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm gonna have to stop delaying and go see There Will Be Blood now to see if it really is as good as No Country For Old Men.

quite right.

that's my project for the weekend.

Is anyone else surprised that Cate got a nom for best actress? Wasn't Elizabeth II: Electric Boogaloo widely panned? And doesn't the Academy snub good performances in crappy movies?

corianderstem said:
Is anyone else surprised that Cate got a nom for best actress? Wasn't Elizabeth II: Electric Boogaloo widely panned? And doesn't the Academy snub good performances in crappy movies?

So widely panned I didn't see it (and I see everything I can). The Academy loves Cate but I was really surprised by the nomination. Maybe the reviews were all wrong?

I'm still not sure what I thought about There Will Be Blood although I'm still thinking about it so that's a good sign. I didn't think about No Country for a second after I left the theatre. There Will Be Blood is such an eccentric film, for lack of a better word, that it has really stayed with me. It's big, it's epic, it's slow, it takes its time, I laughed outloud a number of times which I didn't expect, Jonny Greenwood's music against that vast, open landscape was mesmerizing, Daniel Day-Lewis' character was complicated and the actor is a bit of a genius. Yeah, I guess it was all kind of amazing.

Maybe Blanchett had a great performance in an otherwise shitty movie?

I don't know, I don't agree with the Academy's voting methods / Oscar hype machine.

Anyway, as long as the No Country/TWBB tandem gets some wins, I'll be psyched.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Maybe Blanchett had a great performance in an otherwise shitty movie?

Right, but I thought they tended to overlook great performances in shitty movies. Considering she was nominated for supporting actress (which I think she'll win), why not give this slot to someone else? Like Angelina Jolie?

corianderstem said:

Right, but I thought they tended to overlook great performances in shitty movies. Considering she was nominated for supporting actress (which I think she'll win), why not give this slot to someone else? Like Angelina Jolie?

It makes as much sense as 3 Best Songs coming from the same movie, but I digress.

Heh.

I haven't checked out the full nom list yet, so I don't know what was nommed ... but did hear Eddie Vedder and Mr. Radiohead were not.

That's always great... :|

I listened to Greenwood's score last night for the 10th time and it's bliss. Fucking Academy rules.

(so I don't have to scroll back :wink: )

2008 Oscars:

Best Picture
'Atonement'
'Juno'
'Michael Clayton'
'No Country for Old Men'
'There Will Be Blood'

Best Director
Julian Schnabel, 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'
Jason Reitman, 'Juno'
Tony Gilroy, 'Michael Clayton'
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, 'No Country for Old Men'
Paul Thomas Anderson, 'There Will Be Blood'

Best Actor
George Clooney, 'Michael Clayton'
Daniel Day-Lewis, 'There Will Be Blood'
Johnny Depp, 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'
Tommy Lee Jones, 'In the Valley of Elah'
Viggo Mortensen, 'Eastern Promises'

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age'
Julie Christie, 'Away From Her'
Marion Cotillard, 'La Vie en Rose'
Laura Linney, 'The Savages'
Ellen Page, 'Juno'

Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford'
Javier Bardem, 'No Country for Old Men'
Philip Seymour Hoffman, 'Charlie Wilson's War'
Hal Holbrook, 'Into the Wild'
Tom Wilkinson, 'Michael Clayton'

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, 'I'm Not There'
Ruby Dee, 'American Gangster'
Saoirse Ronan, 'Atonement'
Amy Ryan, 'Gone Baby Gone'
Tilda Swinton, 'Michael Clayton'

Best Foreign Film
'Beaufort' (Israel)
'Counterfeiters' (Austria)
'Katyn' (Poland)
'Mongol' (Kazakhstan)
'12' (Russia)

Best Original Screenplay
Diablo Cody, 'Juno'
Nancy Oliver, 'Lars and the Real Girl'
Tony Gilroy, 'Michael Clayton'
Brad Bird, 'Ratatouille'
Tamara Jenkins, 'The Savages'

Best Adapted Screenplay
Christopher Hampton, 'Atonement'
Sarah Polley, 'Away From Her'
Ronald Harwood, 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, 'No Country for Old Men'
Paul Thomas Anderson, 'There Will Be Blood'

Best Animated Feature Film
'Persepolis'
'Ratatouille'
'Surf's Up'

Best Art Direction
'American Gangster'
'Atonement'
'The Golden Compass'
'Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'
'There Will Be Blood'

Best Cinematography
'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford'
'Atonement'
'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'
'No Country for Old Men'
'There Will Be Blood'

Best Documentary Feature
'No End in Sight'
'Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience'
'Sicko'
'Taxi to the Dark Side'
'War/Dance'

Best Documentary Short Subject
'Freeheld'
'La Corona' ('The Crown')
'Ochberg's Orphans'
'Salim Baba'
Sari's Mother'

Best Original Score
'Atonement'
'The Kite Runner'
'Michael Clayton'
'Ratatouille'
'3:10 to Yuma'

Best Original Song
'Falling Slowly' from 'Once'
'Happy Working Song' from 'Enchanted'
'Raise It Up' from 'August Rush'
'So Close' from 'Enchanted'
'That's How You Know' from 'Enchanted'

Best Makeup
'La Vie en Rose'
'Norbit'
'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End'

Best Animated Short Film
'I Met the Walrus'
'Madame Tutli-Putli'
'My Love (Moya Lyubov)'
'Peter & the Wolf'

Best Live Action Short Film
'At Night'
'Il Supplente (The Substitute)'
'Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)'
'Tanghi Argentini'
'The Tonto Woman'

Best Film Editing
'The Bourne Ultimatum'
'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'
'Into the Wild'
'No Country for Old Men'
'There Will Be Blood'

Best Sound Editing
'The Bourne Ultimatum'
'No Country for Old Men'
'Ratatouille'
'There Will Be Blood'
'Transformers'

Best Sound Mixing
'The Bourne Ultimatum'
'No Country for Old Men'
'Ratatouille'
'3:10 to Yuma'
'Transformers'

Best Visual Effects
'The Golden Compass'
'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End'
'Transformers'

Best Costume Design
'Across the Universe'
'Atonement'
'Elizabeth: The Golden Age'
'La Vie en Rose'
'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'

Sad to see that Curse of the Golden Flower and Lust, Caution got snubbed for cinematography, costume design, etc awards, they were both so lush.

Jesse James has been robbed. Trans-fucking-formers got more nods for God's sake.

Keira Knightley and James McAvoy both missed out on nods despite receiving them for many other awards. I may finally get around to seeing it this weekend so I can't comment if it's a serious oversight or not. Strange how Atonement itself is up for the big prize without any Directing or main Acting nods though.

And I simply can't believe that Norbit is an Oscar-nominated film.

I still think the closest category this year is easily cinematography. I simply can't imagine a tighter group of nominees this year.

From what I've seen I more than agree with you lance, but a costume / art design nod for the two I mentioned would have been deserved.

So fucking Surf's Up gets a nod for best animated film of the year (LOL), but the Simpsons Movie gets zilch???

Die Oscars, die.

I got one for sound editing on There Will Be Blood...
First the Popmart muscle shirt, now this.
I'll celebrate by watching U23D tomorrow!

monkeyskin said:
From what I've seen I more than agree with you lance, but a costume / art design nod for the two I mentioned would have been deserved.

Golden Flower was eligible last year, MS, and I'm pretty sure it received at least a nomination for Costume Design, maybe Art Direction too.

It didn't win though.

Marion Cotillard and Saoirse Ronan :up:

Great to see double nomination for Cate Blanchett but I wonder if they'll cancel each other out.

Nice to see Russia in the best foreign film category, even though "12" is a flawed film.

I am surprised by Eddie Vedder missing out - and also Take That with 'Rule The World' from 'Stardust'. Crazy. And 3 song nominations for 'Enchanted'? None of the new songs from 'Hairspray' got a look in either...

Wow - nothing for Hairspray... and The Kite Runner has been practically ignored...

thatsnotmypuppy said:
I am surprised by Eddie Vedder missing out - and also Take That with 'Rule The World' from 'Stardust'. Crazy. And 3 song nominations for 'Enchanted'? None of the new songs from 'Hairspray' got a look in either...

Wow - nothing for Hairspray... and The Kite Runner has been practically ignored...

I was thinking the same thing.....how could they NOT nominate John Travolta?? He was fabulous in that film!

lazarus said:

Golden Flower was eligible last year, MS, and I'm pretty sure it received at least a nomination for Costume Design, maybe Art Direction too.

It didn't win though.

Ah, well OK then, guess I'd forgotten how long ago i'd seen it.

Travolta's performance had mixed reviews - some thought it was great, others thought it was ridiculous.

No shock he's not nominated.

But yeah, I agree that this trend of nominating multiple songs from the same movie is annoying. Sure, maybe they have different songwriters for each song, but come on!

Back
Top Bottom