Orangutan Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
This is a new series on Animal Planet. This is my new favorite show believe it or not. :giggle:

Basically, its about 35 orphaned O's that have been rehabilitated and are placed on an island of their own in Borneo, Indonesia. They are put there so they can be protected and form their own community and eventually procreate. An amazing fact is that their DNA is 97% like ours. Its an awesome and amazing feat that these people are doing with them. Eastern time on Friday night at 8:30.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/orangutan-island/orangutan-island.html

You can also adopt an O for $10 a month or $120 for the year which help with their rehab, medical and schooling.

My younger son (the future vet.) wanted to adopt one so badly so here she is:

Her name is Kesi:

adoptkesi.jpg

When poachers went after her mother with a machete they chopped off Kesi's hand and captured her mother for bush meat. Luckily, Kesi was rescued.

They are so adorable. I would love to have a chimpanzee or orangutan as a pet.

Justin24 said:
If you're serious, this board has a member who works for a very prominent person in that field; I'm sure you could arrange a sponsorship for the chimp of your choosing...we do.

And yes, I saw portions of that show and was amazed of "how deep" those guys made it into the pack...

I was watching that last night. They were all so cute. I also think the premise of the show is great, that they're trying to give the orphaned orangutans a chance to live in the wild.

I liked the part where the one threw that big pile of corn husks out of the tree down onto the other one :giggle:

Justin24 said:
I would love to have a chimpanzee or orangutan as a pet.

:eyebrow: Right.

Sounds like a nice program :) It's not being shown over here, but it probably will be, I'm a fan of Animal Planet. Monkey Business in particular :wink: It's an unsettling thought that there are so few orangs left now, the Sumatran species in particular, I've been writing an essay on it (as you do) and there are just over 7000 left in the wild in Indonesia. And they're disappearing at a rate of 5000 a year :|

Justin24 said:
Primates do not make good pets :nerd: They're wild animals and apes in particular are very strong and unmanageable in a domestic setting.

/lecture

:wink:

Thanks for posting this JC :hug: It's frightening how close to extinction they are :sad:

Total U2 Nut said:

Sounds like a nice program :) It's not being shown over here, but it probably will be, I'm a fan of Animal Planet. Monkey Business in particular :wink: It's an unsettling thought that there are so few orangs left now, the Sumatran species in particular, I've been writing an essay on it (as you do) and there are just over 7000 left in the wild in Indonesia. And they're disappearing at a rate of 5000 a year :|

Can you post your essay one day? I would like to read it. :wink:

Total U2 Nut said:

Sounds like a nice program :) It's not being shown over here, but it probably will be, I'm a fan of Animal Planet. Monkey Business in particular :wink: :|

oh I loved Monkey Business. Cute little Gordon and the ugly monkeys:cute: :cute:
don't want to be a bummer but did you know that Jim passed away earlier this year:sad: I hope his work continues

Nice to know I'm not the only fan :wink: I went to Monkey World a few weeks ago and saw Gordon and the Uglies in person! It was great :wink: Yeah, it was so sad to hear that Jim had died, he had cancer, I think :sad:

JC yea, I'll post it, but it's not quite finished, I wrote it for english coursework, I might actually send it to MPOC (the Malaysian Palm Oil Council). Dunno. It's probably a piece of crap :shrug:

How strange (in a good way) to see this thread, I watched it yesterday afternoon. I love orangutans, I liked the diapers :wink: I didn't know it was a whole series.

I had to change channels when the bad stuff was going on, just like I have to do with every Animal Planet show. I'm a total wimp about that stuff.

Random but sorta related...I went to high school in Borneo (which is now called Kalimantan, btw, for the Indonesian side). One day, some poachers came by our campus with a baby orangutan they were trying to sell. He had lacerations on his head from when he fell as they shot his mother out of the trees. There's a market for baby orangutans amongst the upper-middle class, so naturally there are people who try to cater to that market. Anyways, our science teacher told them that he wasn't interested in buying the baby, on principle, and sent them away. But when they came back again, he decided that it would be better to buy the little orangutan so that we could save it from a life of captivity and give it to the orangutan preserve.

So for about a month we had a baby orangutan on campus. His name was Jack, and he was the cutest thing ever. He always had to be holding onto someone...you could never have him sit anywhere by himself. This made for some interesting times in class where he would be latched onto one of us while our teacher taught the lesson. He had little baby diapers so that he wouldn't mess on whomever was holding him, and we fed him baby formula in a bottle. Once our teacher worked out the arrangements with the orangutan preserve, Jack went to live back in the jungle...hopefully he's still out there swinging happily through the trees. :)

sulawesigirl4 said:
Random but sorta related...I went to high school in Borneo (which is now called Kalimantan, btw, for the Indonesian side). One day, some poachers came by our campus with a baby orangutan they were trying to sell. He had lacerations on his head from when he fell as they shot his mother out of the trees. There's a market for baby orangutans amongst the upper-middle class, so naturally there are people who try to cater to that market. Anyways, our science teacher told them that he wasn't interested in buying the baby, on principle, and sent them away. But when they came back again, he decided that it would be better to buy the little orangutan so that we could save it from a life of captivity and give it to the orangutan preserve.

So for about a month we had a baby orangutan on campus. His name was Jack, and he was the cutest thing ever. He always had to be holding onto someone...you could never have him sit anywhere by himself. This made for some interesting times in class where he would be latched onto one of us while our teacher taught the lesson. He had little baby diapers so that he wouldn't mess on whomever was holding him, and we fed him baby formula in a bottle. Once our teacher worked out the arrangements with the orangutan preserve, Jack went to live back in the jungle...hopefully he's still out there swinging happily through the trees. :)

You are so very interesting....would love to sit and talk with you one day.

It is so heartbreaking what goes on with them. They are so human like it makes you think what they would do to humans. :|

Back
Top Bottom