Orange Free State, South Africa superthread - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #541
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I think I'm going to cheat and download Axver's before I download the rest of my group. It's not really cheating, but it feels like it.
I wonder what you'll think of some of it!

It seems Screwtape is the only one to play it so far. I'll be interested in what other people make of it. Screwtape is the kind of person who I thought would be receptive to what I was doing and the music I used, but I don't know just how receptive most people will be.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #542
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Bowie also opened up many Heroes Tour shows by playing Warszawa, which meant he was playing keyboards for six minutes to open the show instead of singing.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #543
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Bowie also opened up many Heroes Tour shows by playing Warszawa, which meant he was playing keyboards for six minutes to open the show instead of singing.
Awesome.

Now if only U2 would open a gig with Alex Descends or United Colours something. That would be interesting.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #544
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I wonder what you'll think of some of it!

It seems Screwtape is the only one to play it so far. I'll be interested in what other people make of it. Screwtape is the kind of person who I thought would be receptive to what I was doing and the music I used, but I don't know just how receptive most people will be.
Well, I'm really not too well introduced to most of your kind of music, so this will be quite interesting. I usually hear about it without actually hearing it.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #545
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Awesome.

Now if only U2 would open a gig with Alex Descends or United Colours something. That would be interesting.
But what of the casual fans, Ax?

Ungrateful bastard.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #546
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:32 PM
i'm coming out of semi-retirement to say how disappointed i am that no one here seems to have any eno albums.

oh and memphis is kicking ass and taking names
Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #547
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Fact: I fucking hate Memphis.

Warrants mentioning.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #548
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Well, I'm really not too well introduced to most of your kind of music, so this will be quite interesting. I usually hear about it without actually hearing it.
I think this tracklist does a fairly good job of showing the darker side of the music I listen to, especially the second half. I also hope it introduces people to a side of metal they didn't realise existed. Impressions of metal in the popular consciousness are quite divorced from what most of the genre has been doing, at least since 1990 or so. I find almost no metal to like pre-1990.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #549
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I think this tracklist does a fairly good job of showing the darker side of the music I listen to, especially the second half. I also hope it introduces people to a side of metal they didn't realise existed. Impressions of metal in the popular consciousness are quite divorced from what most of the genre has been doing, at least since 1990 or so. I find almost no metal to like pre-1990.
Interesting. I like little to no metal post-1990.

Edit: Except Trent Reznor.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #550
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
i'm coming out of semi-retirement to say how disappointed i am that no one here seems to have any eno albums.

oh and memphis is kicking ass and taking names
KHAN!!

You even got two exclamation marks. When was the last time I did that non-sarcastically? Yeah.

And I said I have a couple of Eno albums!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #551
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Fact: I fucking hate Memphis.

Warrants mentioning.
they're my alma mater

well they would be if i'd get off my ass and finish my degree
Old 04-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #552
Blue Crack Supplier

I've not listened to much Joy Division, but you know what song I thought was pretty good? She's Lost Control.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #553
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
KHAN!!

You even got two exclamation marks. When was the last time I did that non-sarcastically? Yeah.

And I said I have a couple of Eno albums!
dr. dré!!

you did? shit, i missed that. well, i'm disappointed you're the only one who has any. but that scores you some points
Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #554
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

they're my alma mater

well they would be if i'd get off my ass and finish my degree
I can't stand John Calipari. I secretly enjoy the video where John Cheney threatens to kill him. Not because I want Calipari to die, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand him.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #555
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by RegularBonoFan
Interesting. I like little to no metal post-1990.

Edit: Except Trent Reznor.
I wouldn't consider Reznor metal in the first place!

As far as the pre-1990 thrash, glam, NWOBHM stuff goes, it doesn't appeal. Some of the proto-doom and proto-prog metal is decent.

As for post-1990 metal, my main interests are:

- Death metal, especially the progressive bands (e.g. Opeth and Cynic), though some of the Gothenburg melodic scene is awesome too (looking at you, At The Gates).
- Avantgarde metal primarily rooted in death or black metal, such as Sculptured, Arcturus, and Subterranean Masquerade.
- Middle Eastern metal, namely Orphaned Land and to a lesser extent Melechesh. Orphaned Land rule so fucking much. I'm listening to an acoustic gig they did right now.
- Black metal, especially the atmospheric side from bands like Woods Of Ypres and Wolves In The Throne Room. I'm also a black metal heretic as I like the Christian/unblack metal style of Antestor.

But my two favourites are unclassifiable. Agalloch draw on doom, death, pagan, and black metal to create something extremely atmospheric and incorporate aspects of post-rock too. And Alcest is a marriage of positive black metal with shoegazer that has to be heard to be believed.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread