Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I need to go shopping. Wheee. Lucky me. I want to stay and listen to music with you lot.

Axver said:
My stance on Zooropa:

Love:
- Zooropa
- Lemon
- The Wanderer

Like:
- Numb (love if we go by the Best Of Mix)
- Stay (love if we go by full band live)

Alright:
- Some Days Are Better Than Others
- The First Time
- Dirty Day (best track on the album if we go by the live version)

Don't like:
- Daddy's Gonna Pay

Absolute rubbish:
- Babyface

Love:
Zooropa
The First Time

Like:
Stay
Wanderer

Alright:
DGPFYCC
Dirty Day
SDABTO
Lemon

Don't like:
Numb

Worst U2 song ever recorded:
Babyface

RegularBonoFan said:
*facepalm* The Wanderer. I keep forgetting that's on Zooropa. I first heard it on a Johnny Cash mix CD from a friend, so I don't associate it with U2. To me, it's Cash.
that's because it SUCKS. and like you said, it's johnny cash! not U2! :rant:

RavenBlue said:
That's what fast forward is for :wink:
:wink: oh believe me, i think i'll be utilising the fast forward button a lot on this playlist, unfortunately. i don't like doing that, but the mere fact that i've only heard of about two or three bands on this playlist does not bode well.

KhanadaRhodes said:
k i had to skip that first song. i hate loud rock screamo songs. i know i sound like an old person saying this but they hurt my ears.

I'm a young person and I agree that yeah, they're wank.

KhanadaRhodes said:

that's because it SUCKS. and like you said, it's johnny cash! not U2! :rant:
It's not exactly Johnny Cash's proudest moment either. I could do without Bono in the background. The only decent thing besides Johnny's always-incredible vocal is Adam's bass.

Anyway, so far, upon listening, my rankings go:

Screwtape
Khan=PFan
LJT=Bono212

the tourist said:

Maybe it's mixed well.... but the problem lies within the equilization. Everything is horribly mid-rangey. I generally lump EQ and mixing together, since it's the job of the mixer to deal with that.

It sounds fine. The main job of a mixer is to orchestrate the peice. Make the best sounding thing possible out of what is there. The mixer did that on Zooropa. I don't see any problem with it.

the tourist said:
I actually liked the first song. :reject:
:lol: i just can't get into music like that. it's not that i don't like hard rock music or heavy metal or...i don't know, there's so many subgenres of music. but whatever that song classifies as, i don't like it. it reminds me of a song on guitar hero which i hate, not only because it sucks but also because it's fucking hard to play. :reject:

phillyfan26 said:

Overall thoughts?

Oh, I thought I'd written that already but in keeping up with posts, I hadn't! :lol:

I liked it more than I expected. The parts that I didn't care for at least fitted cohesively and your selections made sense. Disc 2, Side B is the best part; Side A the weakest. And I really like that Sting song.

You're going to do well in the voting. It's mostly songs that are well known and liked, and it's put together in a coherent and sensible manner.

Screwtape2 said:

It sounds fine. The main job of a mixer is to orchestrate the peice. Make the best sounding thing possible out of what is there. The mixer did that on Zooropa. I don't see any problem with it.

When it comes to equilization, I'm an elitist. If I were in the studio, it'd probably take me a month to get all the EQ's correct on each individual instrument. But yeah, it's better sounding if I have a hi-fi system to listen to it on where I can cut out a lot of the mid-range tone and a bit of the bass and supercharge the treble.

The Wanderer is actually a good song. The problem is that the idea to back Johnny Cash with synthesizers is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Have the band, or anyone competent, do it acoustically and it's good fun.

phillyfan26 said:
Ax: Empty's pretty metal but won't kill you. Three more songs of death to go.

I've got to hang around to see what you make of tracks 19-21. They're going to slaughter me in the voting.

I think I'm so desensitised to heavy music that I don't even think of Empty as metal.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:lol: i just can't get into music like that. it's not that i don't like hard rock music or heavy metal or...i don't know, there's so many subgenres of music. but whatever that song classifies as, i don't like it. it reminds me of a song on guitar hero which i hate, not only because it sucks but also because it's fucking hard to play. :reject:

Being a guitarist, I really have to appreciate songs like that.

RegularBonoFan said:
It's not exactly Johnny Cash's proudest moment either. I could do without Bono in the background. The only decent thing besides Johnny's always-incredible vocal is Adam's bass.
:yes: true. there are so many better johnny cash songs out there.

Screwtape2 said:

The only problem is a lack of energy and that is the fault of the band on the recorded take. Dirty Day is meant to sound like that and does live.

I could not disagree with this statement more. I think that it could have and didn't purely because of mixing. It's not like they performed it differently live, aside from an added solo. :shrug:

Axver said:

I've got to hang around to see what you make of tracks 19-21. They're going to slaughter me in the voting.

I think I'm so desensitised to heavy music that I don't even think of Empty as metal.

I Am the Wooden Doors has some good instrumentation.

But it could kill you. The death growl. Ugh.

the tourist said:
Being a guitarist, I really have to appreciate songs like that.
and being someone who took one guitar lesson and promptly decided she'd never play again, i haaaate songs like that where i see my rock meter falling deeper into red and i fail the song before i even get to the first chorus! on easy! which is like bono's level of playing!

Screwtape2 said:

Nice. What did you like about mine?

Disc 1: 1-9 owned.
Disc 2: 4-9 owned.

You'd probably be higher in the end (against all other players) but I just didn't really dig the Genesis song or the live songs.

KhanadaRhodes said:

and being someone who took one guitar lesson and promptly decided she'd never play again, i haaaate songs like that where i see my rock meter falling deeper into red and i fail the song before i even get to the first chorus! on easy! which is like bono's level of playing!

Guitar lessons? Really? :huh: I would never do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom