Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

WUDM is the best produced song in U2's history. All the layers and detail are astonishing. They clearly spent ages on that and to pretend it's rushed is intentionally misleading.

I remember a poll a long time ago. It might've been on interference or atu2, I don't remember. But it was in '99. It asked, and I remember this word for word, "Which song would you like to best represent the direction of the next U2 album?" The options being: North and South of the River, Wake Up Dead Man, The Sweetest Thing, and Holy Joe (I believe it was Holy Joe). Most people said The Sweetest Thing. I said Wake Up Dead Man. The people who said The Sweetest Thing seem to have gotten what they wished for.

Not long after that poll, a rough, early version of The Ground Beneath Her Feet surfaced. And I remember being elated because the roughness of it really reminded me of Wake Up Dead Man. When I heard the finished product of The Ground Beneath Her Feet, I was disappointed. I thought U2 was going to continue in the vein of Wake Up Dead Man. It kinda pissed me off. They really should have gone that direction. :|

Neon Bible wasn't that great. I liked it, of course, but that edge, that drive to make something amazing wasn't there. It just sounds very...competent. Intervention sounds like Arcade Fire trying to write an Arcade Fire song, and it's just nothing special for me.

Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) got me into the band, and I still love that song.

Andrew, do you still have that rough early TGBHF? I've never even heard of that, though I know they played an early version of it live sometime around 1999.

Pee Fan, that Springsteen song leads well into the Dylan track. And at least Dylan doesn't sound like crap in Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

Axver said:

WUDM is the best produced song in U2's history. All the layers and detail are astonishing. They clearly spent ages on that and to pretend it's rushed is intentionally misleading.
An Edge song. :up: Edge's songs are always that much better cause he does take the time to make them that way. Obsessive, passionate, perfectionism. Edge, FTW.

Although "Stuck" is a disappointment...

Oh fuck yes, Rowena's Theme.

I remember when I went to New Zealand in July 2007. It was the first time I'd properly been to my hometown in over four years. I spent a day there and then caught the train back to my father's place. The train leaves the Kapiti Coast by climbing up a steep hill between Paekakariki and Pukerua Bay and it affords amazing views of Kapiti Island offshore. The sun was setting behind Kapiti Island and as I caught my last glimpse of it, I was listening to Rowena's Theme. It was totally perfect.

Axver said:
Andrew, do you still have that rough early TGBHF? I've never even heard of that, though I know they played an early version of it live sometime around 1999.

Pee Fan, that Springsteen song leads well into the Dylan track. And at least Dylan doesn't sound like crap in Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

I don't have it anymore. The mp3 cd I had with that (as well as a ton of other really, really rare U2 stuff) was lost when a cd case was stolen from me in 2001. I wanted to find whover stole it and murder them.

Oh, and I agree with your assessment of PFan's playlist in your quote.

phillyfan26 said:
3 minutes in, I really like this Russian Circles song.

Cool. I wasn't sure what people would think of it.

Their new album just leaked. I've downloaded it but am yet to play it. I adore their first album; it's my favourite from the post-metal genre.

Rowena's Theme --> Birth And Death Of The Day is made of epic win.

Axver said:
Cool. I wasn't sure what people would think of it.

Their new album just leaked. I've downloaded it but am yet to play it. I adore their first album; it's my favourite from the post-metal genre.

Rowena's Theme --> Birth And Death Of The Day is made of epic win.

You really included that on the "will fuck me over" portion? It's great.

the tourist said:
KOHD was done well by U2, and extremely poorly by G'n'R.

And extremely poorly by U2 with Axl Rose in May 1992 in Austria!

Axver said:

And extremely poorly by U2 with Axl Rose in May 1992 in Austria!
What?! *tries so very hard not to laugh. Phails spectacularly*

phillyfan26 said:

You really included that on the "will fuck me over" portion? It's great.

I figure because it's instrumental and post-mword, people will hate it.

Axver said:
I figure because it's instrumental and post-mword, people will hate it.

This next one is more metal, and, (I'm tempted to say thus) not as good. But it's still not bad.

Screwtape2 said:

Oh no. Coming from the guy who wants to be an album producer the best mix is Zooropa with The Unforgettable Fire in second.

Nononononono. I'm sorry, but Zooropa has really, really bad mixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom