Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
I've listened to a couple of their albums and didn't like them much at all. Found them fairly boring, untalented, and repetitive.

I think they suffer from the same thing RHCP suffers from: a poor frontman.

KhanadaRhodes said:
and i totally hear you. i know a lot of people consider me a heathen for not liking the beatles, but i can honestly say i've given them a fair chance. i've listened to all eras of the beatles (teeniebopper, psychedelic, later stuff) and i just don't like anything. i have a couple full albums on my computer even and i couldn't get into anything. the only version of lucy i like is elton john's cover, and like you said U2's covers are far and away better than the originals. blasphemy, i know, but i'm just more of a rolling stones fan than a beatles fan.

I think the only Beatles song I've enjoyed is Tomorrow Never Knows. Nothing else has appealled. Sure, it makes me a heathen to some people, but that's their problem, not mine. So what that I think Bono singing Help on the JT Tour sounds 1,000x better than the Beatles' original?

I don't like the Stones at all either. Which I don't tell my father, because he's even more of an arsehole about his opinion being the only right opinion than I am!

unico said:
hai guys!
hey unico!
hydrahump.gif

I think my favorite Beatles track is A Day in the Life. It's the equivalent of Bowie's Space Oddity.

Axver and I are simultaneously listening to each others' lists and doing running diaries about them.

phillyfan26 said:
The transition to The Triffids is ... interesting. :lol:

That song caused me a lot of trouble. It's fairly important thematically, but just the way it starts made it hard to fit in anywhere. I think it works acceptably in its spot.

I must admit, as much as some people here will tar and feather me for this, I didn't entirely hate that Streetlight Manifesto song. It was kinda fun and catchy, albeit distracting and perhaps too long. And most importantly, I think it fits in the playlist and makes sense.

Won't Get Fooled Again is a song I already know and quite enjoy. :up:

Back.

Question: If there's two instrumentals and I don't know who performed them, but they're both composed by and attributed to the same person, I can only use one, right?

Axver said:
I must admit, as much as some people here will tar and feather me for this, I didn't entirely hate that Streetlight Manifesto song. It was kinda fun and catchy, albeit distracting and perhaps too long. And most importantly, I think it fits in the playlist and makes sense.

Won't Get Fooled Again is a song I already know and quite enjoy. :up:

Wow. That's the highest praise this portion of my list has received.

Axver said:
That song caused me a lot of trouble. It's fairly important thematically, but just the way it starts made it hard to fit in anywhere. I think it works acceptably in its spot.

I can't see it fitting better anywhere else, although it's still rougher than your other transitions.

phillyfan26 said:
The Blackfield tune is pretty good.

One of the vocalists is Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. The other is Israeli pop star Aviv Geffen.

RegularBonoFan said:
Back.

Question: If there's two instrumentals and I don't know who performed them, but they're both composed by and attributed to the same person, I can only use one, right?

Yeah, I think in that case you really could only use one. Don't want to push the rules and such - not that we've ever disqualified any tracklists for doing that before.

phillyfan26 said:

I can't see it fitting better anywhere else, although it's still rougher than your other transitions.

Since the transition isn't entirely crap, I figured its roughness was a small price to pay for a song that otherwise works and is quite good.

The Triffids are undoubtedly one of the bands with the best lyrics that I've ever heard. David McComb was a brilliant lyricist.

phillyfan26 said:
Out of Myself is good, but not as good as the first four.

That is the one song that came closest to being cut. I still have doubts about whether it should be there.

PFan, Disc 1 Side A was actually a little better than I expected. And Won't Get Fooled Again into Zooropa works really well.

Zooropa's my favourite song that you've used so far, though I expect to like your conclusion even more.

the tourist said:

I like all Beatles. I love their stuff from The White Album on.

The Beatles are honestly one of the worst bands I have ever heard. What do you see in them?

I especially hate their vocals, just for the record.

Axver said:

Yeah, I think in that case you really could only use one. Don't want to push the rules and such - not that we've ever disqualified any tracklists for doing that before.
This would be so much easier if I had my iPod with me today... and if it actually had all my music on it, instead of a revolving list equalling the 4GB I have available.

phillyfan26 said:
Uncoffined suffers from a production standpoint.

It's a Dunedin Sound song. Because none of the major labels were interested in what they were doing and this was eighties New Zealand far away from anywhere, they had to rely on lo-fi production. The Terminals actually have some of the better production going around.

A lot of the Dunedin Sound albums were recorded raw onto Chris Knox's (Toy Love, Tall Dwarfs) four-track recorder and that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom