Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the tourist said:
I'm still on Khan's list. :reject: I've been busy.
i'm afraid to ask what anyone thinks of it :reject:

i'm just now starting to listen to them, although i've got almost all the ones phanan has posted on his site downloaded/put in order.

can i just say...people really ought to check for protected tracks before uploading everything. some people had like five tracks that were protected!

KhanadaRhodes said:

I've mostly liked yours so far. I'm about to finish the first disc and there're only 3 songs I don't like. :up:

RegularBonoFan said:
That's my problem with death metal. The vocals are so...chumbled up. I like to be able to understand what I'm listening to. Unless it's supposed to be in another language.

The best death growls are - at least in my opinion - very understandable. I have no problem understanding Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth or John Haughm of Agalloch. Though probably the very best is Dan Swanö. His solo album, Moontower, is incredible and brings in some very non-metal, almost eighties styles to the mix.

In many cases, though, it's all about the aesthetic. I can name precious little black metal where you can understand the vocals, but that's often the point. The voice is being used as another instrument.

The unfortunate side effect of having a pretty boy as your front man. :laugh: I like Slash in Velvet Revolver better anyway.

:lol: I never had an interest so I haven't actually heard Velvet Revolver.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i'm just now starting to listen to them, although i've got almost all the ones phanan has posted on his site downloaded/put in order.

can i just say...people really ought to check for protected tracks before uploading everything. some people had like five tracks that were protected!

I really like your playlist Khan. :up:

the tourist said:

And somehow Velvet Revolver is deeper than G'n'R?
I never said that, I just like Slash's playing better, which is the only reason I like G'n'R anyways.

Oh, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road has made me think I need to get me an Elton John greatest hits album.

Axver said:
She's Lost Control is fucking amazing. It's either my favourite Joy Division song or second favourite, depending on how much I'm in love with New Dawn Fades at the point in time you ask me.

Close third is Disorder.

Unknown Pleasures is the album everyone needs. Fuck Closer.

I want to look more into them, though I'm still unsure how I'll feel about Ian Curtis' vocal style.

OK, I'm going to make lunch then I'll start on PFan's DI tracklist.

RegularBonoFan said:
I never said that, I just like Slash's playing better, which is the only reason I like G'n'R anyways.

Ahhh, I see. I like his playing from both, but to me the bands themselves are very similar. I like Axl Rose's lyrics better, but I like Scott Weiland's voice better.

I haven't been able to download Lara Mullen's yet, and CuteIrishBono seems to be missing a link for one song.

the tourist said:

Ahhh, I see. I like his playing from both, but to me the bands themselves are very similar. I like Axl Rose's lyrics better, but I like Scott Weiland's voice better.
I know what you mean. I get sick of Axl real quick.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i guess. i've been taking a break from the forums for the past couple weeks; it was kind of nice to not be on for a while.

i've got a few. let's see: ambient 1, another day on earth, another green world, before and after science, the drop, and here come the warm jets.

i also have all four ambient records on vinyl.

as for his collaborations, i have his record with john cale, wrong way up, and his one with david byrne, my life in the bush of ghosts.

I've missed seeing you around! But yeah, a break can be good.

I should dig out the Eno albums I have and listen to them. They aren't in my iTunes so it must mean I burnt them to a data DVD a while back before I got my external hard drive. I know I haven't listened to them in ages, over a year. I remember there being some pretty good songs on Another Green World too.

phillyfan26 said:

I'm downloading yours now.

I hope you do a running diary of it!

I'm starting yours now. Love Station To Station's intro.

the tourist said:
I haven't been able to download Lara Mullen's yet, and CuteIrishBono seems to be missing a link for one song.
i just finished downloading lara's now, i had to manually type the link in my browser since it wasn't linked for some reason. it's a bummer because a lot of the songs on her thing are wma files which itunes can't play. and yeah, i noticed that for cuteirishbono too, but i happened to have the song so i just moved on.

now i'm downloading pla/tre's tracklist.

Axver said:
I've missed seeing you around! But yeah, a break can be good.

I should dig out the Eno albums I have and listen to them. They aren't in my iTunes so it must mean I burnt them to a data DVD a while back before I got my external hard drive. I know I haven't listened to them in ages, over a year. I remember there being some pretty good songs on Another Green World too.
awww thanks. :) glad to know i've been missed [/attention whore]

you should! i love another green world, that's probably my favourite. although i love here come the warm jets too.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i just finished downloading lara's now, i had to manually type the link in my browser since it wasn't linked for some reason. it's a bummer because a lot of the songs on her thing are wma files which itunes can't play. and yeah, i noticed that for cuteirishbono too, but i happened to have the song so i just moved on.

Dang. I don't have wma. :(

Any program that can convert that?

the tourist said:

The fact CIB's songs have to be downloaded individually bugs me.

KhanadaRhodes said:

My iTunes is capable of converting WMA to MP3 or M4A ...

the tourist said:

For some reason I thought you'd listened to Screwtape's.

No, I decided to do PFan's first as my response to Screwtape's will be very predictably positive for the most part! I know and love half of it already.

PFan, Station To Station is a very good song, memorable and sustains itself well for its length. Great way to open your playlist.

KhanadaRhodes said:

awww thanks. :) glad to know i've been missed [/attention whore]

you should! i love another green world, that's probably my favourite. although i love here come the warm jets too.

:laugh:

I wonder where I put the data DVDs of albums ... :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom