Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
I think I'm going to cheat and download Axver's before I download the rest of my group. It's not really cheating, but it feels like it.

I wonder what you'll think of some of it! :laugh:

It seems Screwtape is the only one to play it so far. I'll be interested in what other people make of it. Screwtape is the kind of person who I thought would be receptive to what I was doing and the music I used, but I don't know just how receptive most people will be.

Bowie also opened up many Heroes Tour shows by playing Warszawa, which meant he was playing keyboards for six minutes to open the show instead of singing.

phillyfan26 said:
Bowie also opened up many Heroes Tour shows by playing Warszawa, which meant he was playing keyboards for six minutes to open the show instead of singing.

Awesome.

Now if only U2 would open a gig with Alex Descends or United Colours something. That would be interesting.

Axver said:
I wonder what you'll think of some of it! :laugh:

It seems Screwtape is the only one to play it so far. I'll be interested in what other people make of it. Screwtape is the kind of person who I thought would be receptive to what I was doing and the music I used, but I don't know just how receptive most people will be.

Well, I'm really not too well introduced to most of your kind of music, so this will be quite interesting. I usually hear about it without actually hearing it.

Axver said:

Awesome.

Now if only U2 would open a gig with Alex Descends or United Colours something. That would be interesting.

:tsk: But what of the casual fans, Ax?

Ungrateful bastard.

phillyfan26 said:

Well, I'm really not too well introduced to most of your kind of music, so this will be quite interesting. I usually hear about it without actually hearing it.

I think this tracklist does a fairly good job of showing the darker side of the music I listen to, especially the second half. I also hope it introduces people to a side of metal they didn't realise existed. Impressions of metal in the popular consciousness are quite divorced from what most of the genre has been doing, at least since 1990 or so. I find almost no metal to like pre-1990.

Axver said:

I think this tracklist does a fairly good job of showing the darker side of the music I listen to, especially the second half. I also hope it introduces people to a side of metal they didn't realise existed. Impressions of metal in the popular consciousness are quite divorced from what most of the genre has been doing, at least since 1990 or so. I find almost no metal to like pre-1990.
Interesting. I like little to no metal post-1990. :hmm:

Edit: Except Trent Reznor.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i'm coming out of semi-retirement to say how disappointed i am that no one here seems to have any eno albums. :tsk:

oh and memphis is kicking ass and taking names :drool:

KHAN!! :hyper: :wave:

You even got two exclamation marks. When was the last time I did that non-sarcastically? Yeah.

And I said I have a couple of Eno albums!

phillyfan26 said:
Fact: I fucking hate Memphis.

Warrants mentioning.
down.gif
they're my alma mater

well they would be if i'd get off my ass and finish my degree

I've not listened to much Joy Division, but you know what song I thought was pretty good? She's Lost Control.

Axver said:
KHAN!! :hyper: :wave:

You even got two exclamation marks. When was the last time I did that non-sarcastically? Yeah.

And I said I have a couple of Eno albums!
dr. dré!! :wave: :D

you did? shit, i missed that. well, i'm disappointed you're the only one who has any. :tsk: but that scores you some points :up:

KhanadaRhodes said:

down.gif
they're my alma mater

well they would be if i'd get off my ass and finish my degree

I can't stand John Calipari. I secretly enjoy the video where John Cheney threatens to kill him. Not because I want Calipari to die, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand him.

RegularBonoFan said:
Interesting. I like little to no metal post-1990. :hmm:

Edit: Except Trent Reznor.

I wouldn't consider Reznor metal in the first place!

As far as the pre-1990 thrash, glam, NWOBHM stuff goes, it doesn't appeal. Some of the proto-doom and proto-prog metal is decent.

As for post-1990 metal, my main interests are:

- Death metal, especially the progressive bands (e.g. Opeth and Cynic), though some of the Gothenburg melodic scene is awesome too (looking at you, At The Gates).
- Avantgarde metal primarily rooted in death or black metal, such as Sculptured, Arcturus, and Subterranean Masquerade.
- Middle Eastern metal, namely Orphaned Land and to a lesser extent Melechesh. Orphaned Land rule so fucking much. I'm listening to an acoustic gig they did right now.
- Black metal, especially the atmospheric side from bands like Woods Of Ypres and Wolves In The Throne Room. I'm also a black metal heretic as I like the Christian/unblack metal style of Antestor.

But my two favourites are unclassifiable. Agalloch draw on doom, death, pagan, and black metal to create something extremely atmospheric and incorporate aspects of post-rock too. And Alcest is a marriage of positive black metal with shoegazer that has to be heard to be believed.

phillyfan26 said:
I've not listened to much Joy Division, but you know what song I thought was pretty good? She's Lost Control.

She's Lost Control is fucking amazing. It's either my favourite Joy Division song or second favourite, depending on how much I'm in love with New Dawn Fades at the point in time you ask me.

Close third is Disorder.

Unknown Pleasures is the album everyone needs. Fuck Closer.

phillyfan26 said:
I can't stand John Calipari. I secretly enjoy the video where John Cheney threatens to kill him. Not because I want Calipari to die, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand him.
i don't really know a lot about him other than the fact that now that he's coach, the tigers are actually doing well, so i don't really have an opinion on him. the good thing about him though is tigers basketball is the only sports team in this town that's any good. especially when it comes to basketball. the grizzlies are a fucking joke. don't even get me started on that "team" :|

Death Metal doesn't appeal to me...beyond a wickedly funny cartoon on TV here.

So Metallica and Guns 'N' Roses--nothing?

Screwtape2 said:
Tell me about God Is An Astronaut, Ax.

I only have two albums by them, but I urgently need more as on the basis of those two albums, they're one of my favourite post-rock groups. Their epic, almost symphonic, soaring sound is just astonishing. If you like Suicide By Star, I'm certain you'll enjoy all of the album it's from, All Is Violent, All Is Bright, as well as the other album of theirs that I possess, The End Of The Beginning.

RegularBonoFan said:
Death Metal doesn't appeal to me...beyond a wickedly funny cartoon on TV here.

So Metallica and Guns 'N' Roses--nothing?

Death metal's an acquired taste. I prefer the bands that weave death growls with clean vocals, like Opeth and Cynic do (though all of Cynic's clean vocals are through a vocoder - some people love it, some hate it; I'm the former).

Metallica's alright. I like certain songs but in the end, even their classic eighties albums all just sound the same.

I don't believe GNR are metal. Hard rock, but not metal. Overblown, wanky, and completely lacking in depth.

KhanadaRhodes said:

dr. dré!! :wave: :D

you did? shit, i missed that. well, i'm disappointed you're the only one who has any. :tsk: but that scores you some points :up:

You need to hang around more!

And yeah, I have Another Green World and Discreet Music. Perhaps another; I forget.

G'day Andrew. :wave:

I'm about to listen to PFan's DI playlist. First part's just finished downloading.

So today I went through the (1200 album) cd collection of my band's lead singer and picked out about 200 cds to import on my computer. I got the first 5 today. It's going to be a long fucking process.

Axver said:

Death metal's an acquired taste. I prefer the bands that weave death growls with clean vocals, like Opeth and Cynic do (though all of Cynic's clean vocals are through a vocoder - some people love it, some hate it; I'm the former).
That's my problem with death metal. The vocals are so...chumbled up. I like to be able to understand what I'm listening to. Unless it's supposed to be in another language.

Axver said:

Metallica's alright. I like certain songs but in the end, even their classic eighties albums all just sound the same.
I'll concede that point.

Axver said:

I don't believe GNR are metal. Hard rock, but not metal. Overblown, wanky, and completely lacking in depth.
The unfortunate side effect of having a pretty boy as your front man. :laugh: I like Slash in Velvet Revolver better anyway.

RegularBonoFan said:

The unfortunate side effect of having a pretty boy as your front man. :laugh: I like Slash in Velvet Revolver better anyway.

And somehow Velvet Revolver is deeper than G'n'R?

Axver said:
You need to hang around more!

And yeah, I have Another Green World and Discreet Music. Perhaps another; I forget.
i guess. i've been taking a break from the forums for the past couple weeks; it was kind of nice to not be on for a while.

i've got a few. let's see: ambient 1, another day on earth, another green world, before and after science, the drop, and here come the warm jets.

i also have all four ambient records on vinyl.

as for his collaborations, i have his record with john cale, wrong way up, and his one with david byrne, my life in the bush of ghosts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom