Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Art Decade continued on the atmosphere from Warszawa very well.

Weeping Wall, despite its name, actually feels a bit more upbeat.

phillyfan26 said:

Tend to agree with most of this, though I've never really disliked Bowie's voice past some of his early albums.

I don't dislike his voice, but it doesn't really do a tremendous lot for me either. It's just there.

RegularBonoFan said:
I :love: Bowie's voice...from the 70's at least. Not sure about it lately.

His vocals on the live Ziggy album were fantastic. I liked how the inflection got lower, and that kind of continued into the Diamond Dogs album, where his vocals were probably my favorite in the studio as well.

I have a couple of Eno albums, but I forget which. Another Green World or something is one. Haven't listened in ages, though I remember their atmospheres were quite good to say the least.

Eno's influence is really obvious on Side B of Low.

Weeping Wall is my least favourite of Side B so far. Subterraneans is starting well.

My favorite Bowie song is a live version of "I'm Waiting For The Man," which is actually a cover of a Lou Reed song released around the time Lou Reed started trying to sound like Bowie.

If you understood that, you deserve a cookie, cause it still kinda confuses me. :scratch:

phillyfan26 said:

Most likely you're hearing a sax. Bowie plays the sax.

Ah yes, that'd be it. Not sold on instruments like trumpet and sax in rock music. Otherwise, Subterraneans is very good. I prefer Warszawa.

Wow, that album was surprisingly short. I can't believe I'm done already.

PFan, I'm downloading your Desert Island tracklist now. Going to listen to it and Screwtape's first.

RegularBonoFan said:
My favorite Bowie song is a live version of "I'm Waiting For The Man," which is actually a cover of a Lou Reed song released around the time Lou Reed started trying to sound like Bowie.

If you understood that, you deserve a cookie, cause it still kinda confuses me. :scratch:

And Bowie's biggest influence was ... you guessed it, Velvet Underground, so this all comes full circle.

phillyfan26 said:

And Bowie's biggest influence was ... you guessed it, Velvet Underground, so this all comes full circle.
70's Art rock, FTW.

My favorite random tidbit about Bowie is that he toured with Iggy Pop on The Idiot Tour (since he worked on the album) ... as the synthesizer player. This was while he was quite a popular act, and he's in the back playing the synthesizers. Always thought that was hilarious.

Axver said:
Ah yes, that'd be it. Not sold on instruments like trumpet and sax in rock music. Otherwise, Subterraneans is very good. I prefer Warszawa.

Wow, that album was surprisingly short. I can't believe I'm done already.

PFan, I'm downloading your Desert Island tracklist now. Going to listen to it and Screwtape's first.

I'm typically skeptical as well. I think it worked in that song because it was subdued, though.

Good to hear. Running diary, perhaps? :wink:

I will most definitely start doing that for these playlists. I love the running diary concept.

Even for fans of obscure Kiwi music, Terraces is a case of "who?!"

They were a Christchurch band who released two songs. That's it. In 1982, they put out a 7" single with A Place Like This backed by Pictorial. They were really clearly influenced by the post-punk scene and by the early work of The Cure and U2.

I think it is one of the best singles ever released by a Kiwi band.

Screwtape2 said:
Heathen
Earthling
Outside
Heroes
Scary Monsters
Low
Ziggy Stardust
Platinum Collection
Aladdin Sane

I've heard the rest though.

What are your thoughts on "Heroes?"

Screwtape2 said:

I had a question about your tracklist. Are the Triffids a kiwi band?

Australian. They're from Perth. I think some of their songs like Wide Open Road from my Symphonic Island playlist do an incredible job evoking the atmosphere of country Australia. Huge and expansive.

Incidentally, one of the band members, Rob McComb, is now a high school teacher here in Melbourne and taught the Maj.'s geography class!

I think I'm going to cheat and download Axver's before I download the rest of my group. It's not really cheating, but it feels like it.

The Kiwi contribution to my Desert Island IV tracklist is surprisingly limited, actually. The only Kiwi artists are The Terminals, Able Tasmans, and Martin Phillipps (of The Chills).

phillyfan26 said:
My favorite random tidbit about Bowie is that he toured with Iggy Pop on The Idiot Tour (since he worked on the album) ... as the synthesizer player. This was while he was quite a popular act, and he's in the back playing the synthesizers. Always thought that was hilarious.

:lol: That's great.

I'm typically skeptical as well. I think it worked in that song because it was subdued, though.

Good to hear. Running diary, perhaps? :wink:

I will most definitely start doing that for these playlists. I love the running diary concept.

Yeah, the fact it was subdued meant it didn't bug me as much as, say, when Pink Floyd members decide to feature it stupidly prominently in their work.

I'll definitely do a running diary. I'll listen as soon as it finishes downloading. I was tossing up whether to listen to yours or Screwtape's first as you're both around at the moment. But my reaction to Screwtape's will be very predictably positive for the most part, so I thought I'd do your one first as I expect my response will be more interesting.

My niche is obscure 80's San Francisco-area punk rock, so you've lost me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom