Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
welllll.... mabey to the saturday night if i still have a spare ticket. she didnt even know it was happening till i tolde her about it,

oh and ax, you would have loved her- she thought one with mary j was great.

:lol:

Axver said:

:up:

It seems some people here are too blinded by their attachment to the original that they cannot even entertain the possibility the New Mix is better.

You've got to be kidding. Any post-1993 performance of Bad cannot even come close to touching the glory of 1987-89 Bad. It's mostly the fault of Bono's vocals. Sure, it's still the definitive live U2 song, but Bad from RAH pisses all over every version from 2001-06 COMBINED.

That's great, but there's better. Namely those with the Love Will Tear Us Apart snippet. I recommend 30 December 1989, Dublin.

That Bad includes the entirety of The First Time played in the middle of the outro. I love that.

Do you have the 30/12/89 WOWY to send? :wave: :wink:

It's funny. I'm listening to random live U2 tracks right now, some from the 1980s and some from the Vertigo Tour.

My reaction to the 1980s stuff is "holy shit, wow, I can totally see why I got into the band, this makes me excited all over again". I mean ... fuck. This stuff is legendary.

My reaction to the Vertigo stuff is "this is good, yeah, and I'm enjoying it, but would I have become a fanatic if this were it? Nope."

The Sad Punk said:
Sounds like a right laugh, Jen. :lol:

Hey, I did WOWY at karaoke last night! I actually remember. :hyper: I think I really hit that shit home.

WIN :up:

i asked the band to play a u2 song to cheer her up and explained about the sow being cancelled, they only knew WOWY , so they played that, which went down well with the crowd,

i dont think the band would have even been out of nappies when JT was released :lol:

phillyfan26 said:

That Bad includes the entirety of The First Time played in the middle of the outro. I love that.

Do you have the 30/12/89 WOWY to send? :wave: :wink:

Ooh, you mean 20/09/05, not 12/05/05? People often mention 12/05/05, the one with the Strangers In The Night snippet, as a high point of Bad on Vertigo so I assumed you meant that.

Still, it's not even in the same league as 1987-89 Bad. Bono could sing then.

And of course. Watch your inbox.

mysterious_jen said:
welllll.... mabey to the saturday night if i still have a spare ticket. she didnt even know it was happening till i tolde her about it,

oh and ax, you would have loved her- she thought one with mary j was great.

What a weirdo. She thought some random tribute band was really U2 but didn't know about U2 3D?

Sounds like somebody who needs to sign up here and bring us some lulz!

Axver said:
Ooh, you mean 20/09/05, not 12/05/05? People often mention 12/05/05, the one with the Strangers In The Night snippet, as a high point of Bad on Vertigo so I assumed you meant that.

Still, it's not even in the same league as 1987-89 Bad. Bono could sing then.

And of course. Watch your inbox.

Yes, 20/9 (I can't believe I have to type it international style now, but ah well). I just can't see that getting beat. Then again, I don't have any Bads from 87-89 other than the version on the RAH DVD which I haven't watched in about two years.

Axver said:

What a weirdo. She thought some random tribute band was really U2 but didn't know about U2 3D?

Sounds like somebody who needs to sign up here and bring us some lulz!

yeah she was very very strange indeed, so i still dont know about actually hangin out with her, but i felt sorry for her, and what the fuck else was i going to do, it was too early to come home again straight away ..

phillyfan26 said:

Yes, 20/9 (I can't believe I have to type it international style now, but ah well). I just can't see that getting beat. Then again, I don't have any Bads from 87-89 other than the version on the RAH DVD which I haven't watched in about two years.

Hey, you first used the correct style! :laugh: I normally fully type out the date or use bootleg notation (i.e. 20 September 2005 or 2005-09-20), but since you're the only non-Aussie here right now and you wrote 20/09/05, I figured there'd be no confusion.

The RAH DVD version is my favourite Bad. There are probably better ones - the performances of it in Melbourne on Lovetown are incredible and there's a reason one of the boots is called Bad At Its Best. But I find RAH Bad to affect me the most.

I can't get over the fact that Bono's only wearing suspenders as a shirt in that performance. Maybe that's why I haven't watched it in a while.

phillyfan26 said:
I can't get over the fact that Bono's only wearing suspenders as a shirt in that performance. Maybe that's why I haven't watched it in a while.

I'm normally not even paying attention to him.

But his fashion in the eighties does bring the lulz.

OK, am I the only person who thinks WOWY is just hopelessly lacking when it doesn't have the Shine Like Stars verse? I just listened to a live version from December 1987 where Bono skips it and just goes into the "oh oh oh" bit to conclude and it feels so lacking, so anti-climactic.

I'm just listening to 4 July 1982, Werchter right now.

Dear Bono,

Just a performance tip. Don't ever begin a show by walking on stage and saying that "yesterday I lost my voice. If anybody finds it, could they please bring it round to the side of stage?" It might be sort of amusing, but it's not the smartest way to start a gig.

Also, your stupid "I've heard this before! It was the time before this. And the time before that was the time before that. Have you got the time?" thing during Adam's bass solo in Gloria is indescribably daft.

Regards,
Ax

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Preferably in an Andrew-style running diary. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Preferably in an Andrew-style running diary. :wink:

Tomorrow if you're lucky. I'm tired right now and thinking I should do more work before turning in for the night.

I did.

It's from "The Office." The US version. The one guy used the line, "Thank you muchly" in an effort to be funny.

We had Andrew going last night. We were quoting The Office and he thought we were quoting There Will Be Blood. :lol:

phillyfan26 said:
I did.

It's from "The Office." The US version. The one guy used the line, "Thank you muchly" in an effort to be funny.

I ... see. I suppose context would help.

We had Andrew going last night. We were quoting The Office and he thought we were quoting There Will Be Blood. :lol:

:lol: That's hilarious.

Also, There Will Be Blood is a really stupid title.

Oh well. I'm fucking exhausted. I'm going to bed. G'night folks. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom