Oprah's Favorite Things - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Oprah's Favorite Things

Could the people in the audience be more annoying? I mean, hats off to Oprah for spending that much money on strangers (though I have a feeling most of it she gets for free in exchange for some advertising), but the people in the audience!!!

Does anybody else have to throw up after seeing this sickening display of materialism? Most of them don't even seem to be happy and cheer when they see all the stuff they are getting, but wait untill they hear what's on the pricetag!

Let me tell ya, let's hope they have a good cleaning service at the studio because they sure have a lot of floors to mop after the show.

So, am I alone in this?

Old 01-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:31 PM
I actaully wanted to see it....mostly just out of curiousity...what happended anyway....I take it she gave stuff out to the audience...what was it?? The commericals looked kind of annoying though.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:31 PM
I love Oprah!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Normal

Let me list the reasons I am not a fan of hers:

1. The reasons you brought up.

2. The fact that, though she has had a weight problem most of her life and always harps on 'self esteem' she counteracts that message by always having 'makeovers' on her show. What tells a person they don't rate more than having their friend or spouse bring them on the show with connived false pretenses (like, I won a trip to Chicago!) and in front of everyone, having them told their hair is wrong, their clothes and makeup are tacky, their look is outdated, they are too heavy to dress the way they do, etc. Then have Oprah and her people 'help' this person by changing everything about them! I'm sorry but if someone volunteered me for a 'makeover' I'd tell them and Oprah to kiss my ass on national TV. The best self esteem is knowing you are happy with yourself and your own personal choices, no matter if someone else thinks you are out of style or too cheap.

3. She has all that money, and not even a husband or child to leave it to, and she does virtually nothing for the poor children of this country, many who look up to her. I have heard a lot of black people I know complain about this. They say, what is she going to do with billions of dollars? It's true. There are so many poor kids, many of them African-American, who live in the hood, family on welfare or fall through the cracks as too much money for welfare but not enough to live on (working poor) Sure, she has recently started helping poor black kids in Africa, but what about her own hometown, and America's inner cities? On her show talking about the African kids, she said she related to them because their skin was black like hers. First, I think that's rude because it shouldn't matter what color someone is, as black activists have endlessly told us. Bono doesn't care what color a kid is! Besides, there are plenty of black kids in the US she could help too.

4. She puts her own face on the cover of EVERY issue of Oprah magazine. I have never seen such an ego in all my life!
Old 01-06-2004, 12:42 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Well I have to say I Oprah, and I enjoy that show because I like to see all the new gadgets and stuff....but I do agree it goes a little overboard with the audience losing their mind over the gifts they are getting..... DrTeeth did you see that one woman who was shaking and crying hysterically and almost fainted?
Old 01-06-2004, 12:47 PM   #6
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 11:31 AM
i oprah too! i wouldn't mind being at one of the "oprah's favorite things" shows! who wouldn't! lol! i don't think i'd go crazy like the rest of the audience tho. but i'm sure some of them get caught up in the moment ya know? kinda like i was shaking and almost crying when bono kissed my hand before one of the concerts
Old 01-06-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
3. She has all that money, and not even a husband or child to leave it to, and she does virtually nothing for the poor children of this country, many who look up to her. I have heard a lot of black people I know complain about this. They say, what is she going to do with billions of dollars? It's true. There are so many poor kids, many of them African-American, who live in the hood, family on welfare or fall through the cracks as too much money for welfare but not enough to live on (working poor) Sure, she has recently started helping poor black kids in Africa, but what about her own hometown, and America's inner cities? On her show talking about the African kids, she said she related to them because their skin was black like hers. First, I think that's rude because it shouldn't matter what color someone is, as black activists have endlessly told us. Bono doesn't care what color a kid is! Besides, there are plenty of black kids in the US she could help too.
I am not a fan of Oprah's for that reason as well. Any help that she does provide to anyone just seems to be as an endorsement for herself. Like when she went to Africa and was talking about, "I did this" and "I brought that" and "The children called me Mother Oprah" and all this me, me, me, me, me. Blech!

But it's not only her "charitable" work, it's everything she does. When Madonna was on a few months ago, Oprah spent like five minutes basically having a private conversation with "my friend Gayle" (poor woman, her only identity is being Oprah's friend) about how they reacted to Madonna's W pictorial. Madonna was just sitting there, not knowing what to say. I think I'd probably faint if I ever saw or heard Oprah do anything that she didn't somehow tie back to herself.

And Oprah doesn't pay for the products given to people in her studio audience, they're provided by the manufacturers who are happy to get the Oprah seal of approval.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Oprah's favorite things, the top 10:
1. Oprah
2. Chocolate
3. Oprah
4. Pork Pies
5. Oprah
6. Oprah
7. O Magazine
8. Oprah
9. Haagen-Daz
10: Oprah
Old 01-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 AM

Incredibly, I have never seen the Oprah show.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Oprah's favorite things, the top 10:
1. Oprah
2. Chocolate
3. Oprah
4. Pork Pies
5. Oprah
6. Oprah
7. O Magazine
8. Oprah
9. Haagen-Daz
10: Oprah
those are mine too!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo

I have to argue on this one. First of all, is it a sin to have a lot of money but not a "husband or child to leave it to"?

She's doing a lot for the children and orphans in Africa. She was asked once that very question: why don't you help the children in your own country? And her response was something along the line of- "you have never seen the kind of poverty that exists among children until you have seen the African children. They are orphans in the biggest sense of the word- they have no mother, no father, no friends in the world. They grow up alone." She also gave a statistic that the number of orphaned children in Africa is equal to the number of children under the age of 14 in both the states of NY and CA, combined. Imagine all those children roaming the streets, no education, no money, no help?? She mentioned, accurately, that at least in the USA there is someone knocking on the door if a child is kept out of school. The state will financially support a child, and make sure that child eats. There is no welfare or DSS in Africa. She's just donated $10 million to build a leadership academy for the girls in SA.

And perhaps Oprah can relate to these children because they are black like she is. What is so wrong with that? She is not saying you can only relate to African children if you are black- she just said that that was one of the reasons she felt so intrinsicly tied to them. Can a person help why they were initially attracted to another person?

As far as people joking about her eating, that's just low class.

And I'd also argue that it's pretty true in our materialistic world that looking good makes a person feel better about themselves. Is that how it should be? No. Is that always the case? of course not! But if Oprah wants to offer makeovers, and people want to volunteer their friends (whom I'm assuming they would know would want to be subjected to a makeover) then what's so bad about that? I don't think makeovers counteract self esteem- in fact in can have quite the opposite effect.

Olive
Old 01-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904

I am not a fan of Oprah's for that reason as well. Any help that she does provide to anyone just seems to be as an endorsement for herself. Like when she went to Africa and was talking about, "I did this" and "I brought that" and "The children called me Mother Oprah" and all this me, me, me, me, me. Blech!

But it's not only her "charitable" work, it's everything she does. When Madonna was on a few months ago, Oprah spent like five minutes basically having a private conversation with "my friend Gayle" (poor woman, her only identity is being Oprah's friend) about how they reacted to Madonna's W pictorial. Madonna was just sitting there, not knowing what to say. I think I'd probably faint if I ever saw or heard Oprah do anything that she didn't somehow tie back to herself.

And Oprah doesn't pay for the products given to people in her studio audience, they're provided by the manufacturers who are happy to get the Oprah seal of approval.
exactly!!
Old 01-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #13
War Child

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

I have to argue on this one. First of all, is it a sin to have a lot of money but not a "husband or child to leave it to"?
What I mean by that is, if she did have heirs, (like Bono does) I could understand her wanting to hold onto most of it for their futures. But since she doesn't, what on Earth is one woman going to do with several billions of dollars in one lifetime? She came from poverty and she could do so much good with her money, and still save about 100 million just to have fun with, but she can't take it with her when she goes.

Quote:
She's doing a lot for the children and orphans in Africa. She was asked once that very question: why don't you help the children in your own country? And her response was something along the line of- "you have never seen the kind of poverty that exists among children until you have seen the African children. They are orphans in the biggest sense of the word- they have no mother, no father, no friends in the world. They grow up alone." She also gave a statistic that the number of orphaned children in Africa is equal to the number of children under the age of 14 in both the states of NY and CA, combined. Imagine all those children roaming the streets, no education, no money, no help?? She mentioned, accurately, that at least in the USA there is someone knocking on the door if a child is kept out of school. The state will financially support a child, and make sure that child eats. There is no welfare or DSS in Africa. She's just donated $10 million to build a leadership academy for the girls in SA.
It's good she's helped them but I still don't think her excuses justify not helping poor kids in the US. I know of poor white kids who have no indoor plumbing and use dangerous space heaters because no one can afford to fix the furnace. Again, these people (kids' parents) don't qualify for welfare (and rules have toughened over the last years making assistance harder to get) but don't earn enough to live in a decent place or buy stuff most kids take for granted. If I had her money, I'd be Santa and fairy godmother to as many kids as I could find. And even in America you don't have to look far. That's why a lot of poor working black women I know resent the hell out of Oprah, and I'm on their side.

Quote:
And perhaps Oprah can relate to these children because they are black like she is. What is so wrong with that? She is not saying you can only relate to African children if you are black- she just said that that was one of the reasons she felt so intrinsicly tied to them. Can a person help why they were initially attracted to another person?
Well like I said, the American black kids in the hood are just as black as the ones in Africa.

Quote:
And I'd also argue that it's pretty true in our materialistic world that looking good makes a person feel better about themselves. Is that how it should be? No. Is that always the case? of course not! But if Oprah wants to offer makeovers, and people want to volunteer their friends (whom I'm assuming they would know would want to be subjected to a makeover) then what's so bad about that? I don't think makeovers counteract self esteem- in fact in can have quite the opposite effect.

Olive
I've seen many of those 'makeover' victims brought there with tricks, like that their friend won a free trip or something. Most of them wouldn't come if they knew their looks would be insulted on national TV. Sure I guess a makeover could help someone's self esteem, if they are the kind of person who needs to look the way someone else thinks they should to feel accepted. But I think that's sad.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
New Yorker

How does anyone that is not her accountant know for sure how much money she gives or not?
Just because she is not married or have kids does not mean that her money won't be left to someone. I am sure her will is already written and who knows she could leave trust funds at schools all over the United States or not who knows? Oprah knows and that is all that counts.

If you want to pick on rich people pick on the Hilton sisters or others that are oblivious to trying to do something good for the world.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #15
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:31 PM
if she would give all of her money away
I still wouldn't be remotely interested to sit through one of her shows

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa