Oprah's Favorite Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrTeeth

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Could the people in the audience be more annoying? I mean, hats off to Oprah for spending that much money on strangers (though I have a feeling most of it she gets for free in exchange for some advertising), but the people in the audience!!! :no:

Does anybody else have to throw up after seeing this sickening display of materialism? Most of them don't even seem to be happy and cheer when they see all the stuff they are getting, but wait untill they hear what's on the pricetag! :scream:

Let me tell ya, let's hope they have a good cleaning service at the studio because they sure have a lot of floors to mop after the show.

So, am I alone in this? :reject:

I actaully wanted to see it....mostly just out of curiousity...what happended anyway....I take it she gave stuff out to the audience...what was it?? The commericals looked kind of annoying though.

Let me list the reasons I am not a fan of hers:

1. The reasons you brought up.

2. The fact that, though she has had a weight problem most of her life and always harps on 'self esteem' she counteracts that message by always having 'makeovers' on her show. What tells a person they don't rate more than having their friend or spouse bring them on the show with connived false pretenses (like, I won a trip to Chicago!) and in front of everyone, having them told their hair is wrong, their clothes and makeup are tacky, their look is outdated, they are too heavy to dress the way they do, etc. Then have Oprah and her people 'help' this person by changing everything about them! I'm sorry but if someone volunteered me for a 'makeover' I'd tell them and Oprah to kiss my ass on national TV. The best self esteem is knowing you are happy with yourself and your own personal choices, no matter if someone else thinks you are out of style or too cheap.

3. She has all that money, and not even a husband or child to leave it to, and she does virtually nothing for the poor children of this country, many who look up to her. I have heard a lot of black people I know complain about this. They say, what is she going to do with billions of dollars? It's true. There are so many poor kids, many of them African-American, who live in the hood, family on welfare or fall through the cracks as too much money for welfare but not enough to live on (working poor) Sure, she has recently started helping poor black kids in Africa, but what about her own hometown, and America's inner cities? On her show talking about the African kids, she said she related to them because their skin was black like hers. First, I think that's rude because it shouldn't matter what color someone is, as black activists have endlessly told us. Bono doesn't care what color a kid is! Besides, there are plenty of black kids in the US she could help too.

4. She puts her own face on the cover of EVERY issue of Oprah magazine. I have never seen such an ego in all my life!

Last edited:
Well I have to say I :heart: Oprah, and I enjoy that show because I like to see all the new gadgets and stuff....but I do agree it goes a little overboard with the audience losing their mind over the gifts they are getting..... DrTeeth did you see that one woman who was shaking and crying hysterically and almost fainted? :laugh:

i :heart: oprah too! i wouldn't mind being at one of the "oprah's favorite things" shows! who wouldn't! lol! i don't think i'd go crazy like the rest of the audience tho. but i'm sure some of them get caught up in the moment ya know? kinda like i was shaking and almost crying when bono kissed my hand before one of the concerts :lol:

Last edited:
Leeloo said:
3. She has all that money, and not even a husband or child to leave it to, and she does virtually nothing for the poor children of this country, many who look up to her. I have heard a lot of black people I know complain about this. They say, what is she going to do with billions of dollars? It's true. There are so many poor kids, many of them African-American, who live in the hood, family on welfare or fall through the cracks as too much money for welfare but not enough to live on (working poor) Sure, she has recently started helping poor black kids in Africa, but what about her own hometown, and America's inner cities? On her show talking about the African kids, she said she related to them because their skin was black like hers. First, I think that's rude because it shouldn't matter what color someone is, as black activists have endlessly told us. Bono doesn't care what color a kid is! Besides, there are plenty of black kids in the US she could help too.

I am not a fan of Oprah's for that reason as well. Any help that she does provide to anyone just seems to be as an endorsement for herself. Like when she went to Africa and was talking about, "I did this" and "I brought that" and "The children called me Mother Oprah" and all this me, me, me, me, me. Blech!

But it's not only her "charitable" work, it's everything she does. When Madonna was on a few months ago, Oprah spent like five minutes basically having a private conversation with "my friend Gayle" (poor woman, her only identity is being Oprah's friend) about how they reacted to Madonna's W pictorial. Madonna was just sitting there, not knowing what to say. I think I'd probably faint if I ever saw or heard Oprah do anything that she didn't somehow tie back to herself.

And Oprah doesn't pay for the products given to people in her studio audience, they're provided by the manufacturers who are happy to get the Oprah seal of approval.

Oprah's favorite things, the top 10:
1. Oprah
2. Chocolate
3. Oprah
4. Pork Pies
5. Oprah
6. Oprah
7. O Magazine
8. Oprah
9. Haagen-Daz
10: Oprah

Leeloo said:

I have to argue on this one. First of all, is it a sin to have a lot of money but not a "husband or child to leave it to"?

She's doing a lot for the children and orphans in Africa. She was asked once that very question: why don't you help the children in your own country? And her response was something along the line of- "you have never seen the kind of poverty that exists among children until you have seen the African children. They are orphans in the biggest sense of the word- they have no mother, no father, no friends in the world. They grow up alone." She also gave a statistic that the number of orphaned children in Africa is equal to the number of children under the age of 14 in both the states of NY and CA, combined. Imagine all those children roaming the streets, no education, no money, no help?? She mentioned, accurately, that at least in the USA there is someone knocking on the door if a child is kept out of school. The state will financially support a child, and make sure that child eats. There is no welfare or DSS in Africa. She's just donated $10 million to build a leadership academy for the girls in SA.

And perhaps Oprah can relate to these children because they are black like she is. What is so wrong with that? She is not saying you can only relate to African children if you are black- she just said that that was one of the reasons she felt so intrinsicly tied to them. Can a person help why they were initially attracted to another person?

As far as people joking about her eating, that's just low class. :down:

And I'd also argue that it's pretty true in our materialistic world that looking good makes a person feel better about themselves. Is that how it should be? No. Is that always the case? of course not! But if Oprah wants to offer makeovers, and people want to volunteer their friends (whom I'm assuming they would know would want to be subjected to a makeover) then what's so bad about that? I don't think makeovers counteract self esteem- in fact in can have quite the opposite effect.

:) Olive

dsmith2904 said:

I am not a fan of Oprah's for that reason as well. Any help that she does provide to anyone just seems to be as an endorsement for herself. Like when she went to Africa and was talking about, "I did this" and "I brought that" and "The children called me Mother Oprah" and all this me, me, me, me, me. Blech!

But it's not only her "charitable" work, it's everything she does. When Madonna was on a few months ago, Oprah spent like five minutes basically having a private conversation with "my friend Gayle" (poor woman, her only identity is being Oprah's friend) about how they reacted to Madonna's W pictorial. Madonna was just sitting there, not knowing what to say. I think I'd probably faint if I ever saw or heard Oprah do anything that she didn't somehow tie back to herself.

And Oprah doesn't pay for the products given to people in her studio audience, they're provided by the manufacturers who are happy to get the Oprah seal of approval.

exactly!!

oliveu2cm said:

I have to argue on this one. First of all, is it a sin to have a lot of money but not a "husband or child to leave it to"?

What I mean by that is, if she did have heirs, (like Bono does) I could understand her wanting to hold onto most of it for their futures. But since she doesn't, what on Earth is one woman going to do with several billions of dollars in one lifetime? She came from poverty and she could do so much good with her money, and still save about 100 million just to have fun with, but she can't take it with her when she goes.

She's doing a lot for the children and orphans in Africa. She was asked once that very question: why don't you help the children in your own country? And her response was something along the line of- "you have never seen the kind of poverty that exists among children until you have seen the African children. They are orphans in the biggest sense of the word- they have no mother, no father, no friends in the world. They grow up alone." She also gave a statistic that the number of orphaned children in Africa is equal to the number of children under the age of 14 in both the states of NY and CA, combined. Imagine all those children roaming the streets, no education, no money, no help?? She mentioned, accurately, that at least in the USA there is someone knocking on the door if a child is kept out of school. The state will financially support a child, and make sure that child eats. There is no welfare or DSS in Africa. She's just donated $10 million to build a leadership academy for the girls in SA.

It's good she's helped them but I still don't think her excuses justify not helping poor kids in the US. I know of poor white kids who have no indoor plumbing and use dangerous space heaters because no one can afford to fix the furnace. Again, these people (kids' parents) don't qualify for welfare (and rules have toughened over the last years making assistance harder to get) but don't earn enough to live in a decent place or buy stuff most kids take for granted. If I had her money, I'd be Santa and fairy godmother to as many kids as I could find. And even in America you don't have to look far. That's why a lot of poor working black women I know resent the hell out of Oprah, and I'm on their side.

And perhaps Oprah can relate to these children because they are black like she is. What is so wrong with that? She is not saying you can only relate to African children if you are black- she just said that that was one of the reasons she felt so intrinsicly tied to them. Can a person help why they were initially attracted to another person?

Well like I said, the American black kids in the hood are just as black as the ones in Africa.

And I'd also argue that it's pretty true in our materialistic world that looking good makes a person feel better about themselves. Is that how it should be? No. Is that always the case? of course not! But if Oprah wants to offer makeovers, and people want to volunteer their friends (whom I'm assuming they would know would want to be subjected to a makeover) then what's so bad about that? I don't think makeovers counteract self esteem- in fact in can have quite the opposite effect.

:) Olive

I've seen many of those 'makeover' victims brought there with tricks, like that their friend won a free trip or something. Most of them wouldn't come if they knew their looks would be insulted on national TV. Sure I guess a makeover could help someone's self esteem, if they are the kind of person who needs to look the way someone else thinks they should to feel accepted. But I think that's sad.

How does anyone that is not her accountant know for sure how much money she gives or not? :shrug: :rolleyes:
Just because she is not married or have kids does not mean that her money won't be left to someone. I am sure her will is already written and who knows she could leave trust funds at schools all over the United States or not who knows? Oprah knows and that is all that counts.

If you want to pick on rich people pick on the Hilton sisters or others that are oblivious to trying to do something good for the world.

if she would give all of her money away
I still wouldn't be remotely interested to sit through one of her shows

Leeloo said:

What I mean by that is, if she did have heirs, (like Bono does) I could understand her wanting to hold onto most of it for their futures. But since she doesn't, what on Earth is one woman going to do with several billions of dollars in one lifetime? She came from poverty and she could do so much good with her money, and still save about 100 million just to have fun with, but she can't take it with her when she goes.

Ah, I understand. You didn't say that the first time. Anyway like EPandAmerica said, we don't know what her will says. I'd bet she's leaving $$$ to good causes. I don't think she's trying to take it with her :eyebrow:

Leeloo said:

It's good she's helped them but I still don't think her excuses justify not helping poor kids in the US. I know of poor white kids who have no indoor plumbing and use dangerous space heaters because no one can afford to fix the furnace. Again, these people (kids' parents) don't qualify for welfare (and rules have toughened over the last years making assistance harder to get) but don't earn enough to live in a decent place or buy stuff most kids take for granted. If I had her money, I'd be Santa and fairy godmother to as many kids as I could find. And even in America you don't have to look far. That's why a lot of poor working black women I know resent the hell out of Oprah, and I'm on their side.

I still think that the children & orphans in Africa are worse off than children in the United States.

As far as helping one's own people, etc, I guess people could say the same thing about Bono, or anyone else who helps people who are not "their own" or from "their own country" :rolleyes: That kind of mentality seems greedy and negative to me. She doesn't have to help anyone. I think it's pretty cool & honorable she does all that she DOES do, and no one really has the right to judge how a person does (or doesn't) donate his/her money.

Leeloo said:

I've seen many of those 'makeover' victims brought there with tricks, like that their friend won a free trip or something. Most of them wouldn't come if they knew their looks would be insulted on national TV. Sure I guess a makeover could help someone's self esteem, if they are the kind of person who needs to look the way someone else thinks they should to feel accepted. But I think that's sad.

Sometimes it goes beyond needing to looking a certain way to be accepted. Some people find themselves in bad marriages with low self-esteem, or drastically overworked and underpaid, or just unable to help themselves. I don't see anything wrong in offering to help people. There are some programs in the US that help poor or welfare women improve their apperance so that they appear more professional and are more likely to be hired for a job. Appearances say a lot. There obviously are higher priorities for life values, but hey if a makeover helps someone feel better about themselves, feel sexier, more comfortable, more bold, then I don't see anything wrong with that. :shrug:

If most of the women are insulted, well that's another issue (like, why not blame their families/friends rather than Oprah?). But I think if that does happen, it's a minority.

*edited for grammer

Last edited:
Sounds like she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If she only helped children in this country people would be attacking her for not helping the children in Africa. I think what anyone does with their money is their own business and Oprah clearly does a lot of good things with hers. Oprah seems like an odd target of attack to me. I've never seen the show because it doesn't interest me but who cares which poor children she helps--it's just good that she helps somebody somewhere. And how do we know that she isn't charitable here, too? As EPandAmerica said, only she and her accountant really know.

Leeloo said:

if one of you suddenly won the mega millions lotto, would you give it all away? i don't think so. sure i'd give some to charity but i don't think anyone would give it all away. you'd live quite comfortably.

and it's true what EP said, we don't know how much she gives away. and i'm sure if she doesn't have any heirs by the time she passes from this earth, that she would leave her money in her will to some sort of charitable organizations.

and here's a link to a page on oprah.com listing some of the charities she's been involved with and advertised on her show. i can't copy and paste it all here because there wouldn't be enough room!

http://www.oprah.com/uyl/makedif/uyl_makedif_volunteer.jhtml

I never watch that show unless I hear Bono is going to be on it:D

bonolipstick2.jpg

:love:

Last edited:
I saw Oprah's interview with Diane Sawyer last month and its was pretty cool. She's doing something similar to what Bono does -- use her celebrity to bring awareness to the issue. Do you know how much money could be raised for AIDS charities when all those women who watch Oprah religiously see those shows about her trip to Africa?

As for poverty in the US, yes its bad. But Oprah is right -- its alot worse in Africa. Here, you may have a deadbeat dad and a mom who has to work two jobs to get food on the table. In Africa, you have NO ONE. You are 16 years old and in charge of raising your sisters and brothers, who may be 10 and 8. Both of your parents are dead, any aunts or uncles you can live with are dead, your grandparents are dead. You're 16 and have to decide if you should sleep with a sugar daddy with AIDS to get some money for food. Now tell me who is worse off.

As for the favorites show, watched it. I wish I could of gotten all that but you're right. the crowd was nutty.

im glad she helps with charity and all that, and i honestly couldnt care about watching her show unless u2's on it...but seriously...its no one's business what she does with her money.
its stupid that she gets criticized for having money and not doing anything with it in the first place. its her friken money. she has every right to spend it as she pleases.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom