Oprah's Favorite Things - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo

What I mean by that is, if she did have heirs, (like Bono does) I could understand her wanting to hold onto most of it for their futures. But since she doesn't, what on Earth is one woman going to do with several billions of dollars in one lifetime? She came from poverty and she could do so much good with her money, and still save about 100 million just to have fun with, but she can't take it with her when she goes.
Ah, I understand. You didn't say that the first time. Anyway like EPandAmerica said, we don't know what her will says. I'd bet she's leaving $$$ to good causes. I don't think she's trying to take it with her

Quote:

It's good she's helped them but I still don't think her excuses justify not helping poor kids in the US. I know of poor white kids who have no indoor plumbing and use dangerous space heaters because no one can afford to fix the furnace. Again, these people (kids' parents) don't qualify for welfare (and rules have toughened over the last years making assistance harder to get) but don't earn enough to live in a decent place or buy stuff most kids take for granted. If I had her money, I'd be Santa and fairy godmother to as many kids as I could find. And even in America you don't have to look far. That's why a lot of poor working black women I know resent the hell out of Oprah, and I'm on their side.
I still think that the children & orphans in Africa are worse off than children in the United States.

As far as helping one's own people, etc, I guess people could say the same thing about Bono, or anyone else who helps people who are not "their own" or from "their own country" That kind of mentality seems greedy and negative to me. She doesn't have to help anyone. I think it's pretty cool & honorable she does all that she DOES do, and no one really has the right to judge how a person does (or doesn't) donate his/her money.

Quote:

I've seen many of those 'makeover' victims brought there with tricks, like that their friend won a free trip or something. Most of them wouldn't come if they knew their looks would be insulted on national TV. Sure I guess a makeover could help someone's self esteem, if they are the kind of person who needs to look the way someone else thinks they should to feel accepted. But I think that's sad.
Sometimes it goes beyond needing to looking a certain way to be accepted. Some people find themselves in bad marriages with low self-esteem, or drastically overworked and underpaid, or just unable to help themselves. I don't see anything wrong in offering to help people. There are some programs in the US that help poor or welfare women improve their apperance so that they appear more professional and are more likely to be hired for a job. Appearances say a lot. There obviously are higher priorities for life values, but hey if a makeover helps someone feel better about themselves, feel sexier, more comfortable, more bold, then I don't see anything wrong with that.

If most of the women are insulted, well that's another issue (like, why not blame their families/friends rather than Oprah?). But I think if that does happen, it's a minority.

*edited for grammer

Old 01-06-2004, 04:00 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Sounds like she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If she only helped children in this country people would be attacking her for not helping the children in Africa. I think what anyone does with their money is their own business and Oprah clearly does a lot of good things with hers. Oprah seems like an odd target of attack to me. I've never seen the show because it doesn't interest me but who cares which poor children she helps--it's just good that she helps somebody somewhere. And how do we know that she isn't charitable here, too? As EPandAmerica said, only she and her accountant really know.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #18
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:

What I mean by that is, if she did have heirs, (like Bono does) I could understand her wanting to hold onto most of it for their futures. But since she doesn't, what on Earth is one woman going to do with several billions of dollars in one lifetime? She came from poverty and she could do so much good with her money, and still save about 100 million just to have fun with, but she can't take it with her when she goes.

if one of you suddenly won the mega millions lotto, would you give it all away? i don't think so. sure i'd give some to charity but i don't think anyone would give it all away. you'd live quite comfortably.

and it's true what EP said, we don't know how much she gives away. and i'm sure if she doesn't have any heirs by the time she passes from this earth, that she would leave her money in her will to some sort of charitable organizations.

and here's a link to a page on oprah.com listing some of the charities she's been involved with and advertised on her show. i can't copy and paste it all here because there wouldn't be enough room!

http://www.oprah.com/uyl/makedif/uyl...olunteer.jhtml
Old 01-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:23 PM
I never watch that show unless I hear Bono is going to be on it

Old 01-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:23 PM
I saw Oprah's interview with Diane Sawyer last month and its was pretty cool. She's doing something similar to what Bono does -- use her celebrity to bring awareness to the issue. Do you know how much money could be raised for AIDS charities when all those women who watch Oprah religiously see those shows about her trip to Africa?

As for poverty in the US, yes its bad. But Oprah is right -- its alot worse in Africa. Here, you may have a deadbeat dad and a mom who has to work two jobs to get food on the table. In Africa, you have NO ONE. You are 16 years old and in charge of raising your sisters and brothers, who may be 10 and 8. Both of your parents are dead, any aunts or uncles you can live with are dead, your grandparents are dead. You're 16 and have to decide if you should sleep with a sugar daddy with AIDS to get some money for food. Now tell me who is worse off.

As for the favorites show, watched it. I wish I could of gotten all that but you're right. the crowd was nutty.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:58 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:23 PM
im glad she helps with charity and all that, and i honestly couldnt care about watching her show unless u2's on it...but seriously...its no one's business what she does with her money.
its stupid that she gets criticized for having money and not doing anything with it in the first place. its her friken money. she has every right to spend it as she pleases.