'Opie & Anthony' Off the Air and In Hot Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
[COLOR=royal blue]I hope other ppl get the set of shows that are O&A and Ron & Fez.

'Opie & Anthony' Off the Air and In Hot Water
By Joel Garreau
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 21, 2002; Page C01

In the almost-anything-goes world of raunch radio, a pair of shock jocks heard locally has discovered there is a limit: sex inside Manhattan's famed St. Patrick's Cathedral.

"Opie and Anthony," hosts of a popular afternoon drive-time outrage-a-thon that's broadcast in Washington on WJFK-FM, remained off the air for a second day yesterday. At New York's WNEW-FM, where the show originates, General Manager Ken Stevens and Program Director Jeremy Coleman were also suspended. A 350,000-member Catholic group pushed for the station's license to be revoked, the Associated Press reported. And an FCC commissioner said that sounded like a not-bad idea.

Last Thursday the pair broadcast what purported to be a live, eyewitness account of a Northern Virginia couple having sex in the landmark Fifth Avenue church, reportedly within a few feet of worshipers.

"Nothing would make us happier than for WNEW's license to be revoked," said William Donohue, head of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, which has also demanded a hefty fine for Infinity Broadcasting Corp., according to the Associated Press. Infinity is one of the largest radio broadcasting companies in the country, with some 180 stations in 22 states. WNEW is its flagship station.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps, saying he had received "many outraged e-mails and phone calls," promised that the complaints were "on the fast track" for consideration by his agency. If they prove true, he said, "this commission should consider the strongest enforcement action possible against this station, up to and including revocation of the station's license."

The incident occurred on Thursday, when the Virginia couple were arrested after allegedly having sex in a vestibule near worshipers. The encounter apparently was described live in a play-by-play fashion during the "Opie and Anthony" show.

It was part of a regular feature on the show in which six couples were given a list of 54 high-risk locations at which to have sex in the city, including Rockefeller Center, Reuters reported.

The couple, identified as Brian Florence, 37, of Quantico, and Loretta Lynn Harper, 35, of Alexandria, were arrested on charges of public lewdness. Show producer Paul Mercurio, 42, who allegedly called the show via cell phone and described their actions, was charged with acting in concert.

Florence and Harper were due back in court today. Their attorney, Miranda Fritz, has said they were only simulating sex.

Infinity, after allowing its DJs back on the air Friday afternoon, decided to suspend Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia beginning Monday.

"We will be reviewing the matter," said Infinity spokesman Dana McClintock.

The station last week issued a statement saying: "WNEW regrets the unfortunate incident that took place yesterday. We apologize to anyone who has been offended and have taken measures to insure that it does not happen again."

"Opie and Anthony" reruns will air indefinitely, McClintock told the Associated Press. The show is nationally syndicated in 17 markets outside New York City. In Washington, a WJFK spokesman declined to comment and referred all inquiries to Infinity.

Two months ago, the FCC cited three "indecent" bits that aired on the show in 2000 and 2001, one on the subject of incest, and issued the equivalent of a $7,000 fine for each. And in 1998, a Boston station fired Opie and Anthony after an April Fool's Day prank in which they said Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino had died in a car crash. And Infinity suspended their show briefly this past May for sniping with fellow radio duo Don and Mike, employed by Infinity. Don and Mike were suspended, too.

That whole enterprise or company or whatever keeps having problems.........I hate that when one show screws up bigtime the other shows have to suffer too :tsk:

I'm just so .... :mad:
[/COLOR]

i've listened to these guys off and on; and i have to admit, more often than not, they have me pissing in my pants laughing. no question about it, they are outrageous. however, i think they took their escapades way way too far in this last stunt/dare. sometimes i wonder just how many times these two were dropped on the head as children. i'm not surprised by their latest troubles.

TripThruUreWires said:
i've listened to these guys off and on; and i have to admit, more often than not, they have me pissing in my pants laughing. no question about it, they are outrageous. however, i think they took their escapades way way too far in this last stunt/dare. sometimes i wonder just how many times these two were dropped on the head as children. i'm not surprised by their latest troubles.

:yes:

I just wanna listen to Ron & Fez.... but when O&A are in trouble....it's like everything has to shut down. I hate repeats :yuck:

This is soo weird!! I went up to New York last week to visit a fellow U2 fanatic and friend of mine! We actually heard this on the air! It was crazy!!! But I do think they did go out of line with this one! Also I loved Ron & Fez to bits!!! I want to hear them here in CA!!!:scream:

Last edited:
I really can't stand them after the shit they pulled with Don & Mike a couple of months ago, Norton is the only thing consistently funny on their show, O & A have become egomaniacal pricks like Stern, fuck em, who cares

Back
Top Bottom