Open letter to INXS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeadsOnSticks

New Yorker
To: Remaining Members of INXS

Please, for the love of GOD, do not ruin the legacy of the extraordinary musical force known as INXS by using a reality series to find a new singer. This is a horrible idea. The remaining members of INXS are exceptional musicians. Find a new singer, find a new name and make great album. If it is good we will listen. If you drag down the INXS name by whoring yourselves on television, we will not.

Sincerely,
The Undersigned

http://www.petitiononline.com/inxs/petition.html

So, I guess they are still going to do this stupid reality show?

:sigh:

You've got my signature.

You certainly are a prolific letter writer.

I've got your back.

:up:

i don't think internet petitions do anything, nor did i actually like INXS. but i'll sign it because the idea is really fucking retarded.

While the idea of finding a singer over a TV show is odd, I wouldn't mind it if they do find a great candidate and if the new music is too.

Remember Ian Astbury (that is the Cult's singer's name isn't it?) stepped in for Jim Morrison at the Doors. Talk about big shoes to fill, and I don't think he got any flak for it.

U2girl said:
Remember Ian Astbury (that is the Cult's singer's name isn't it?) stepped in for Jim Morrison at the Doors. Talk about big shoes to fill, and I don't think he got any flak for it.

He got quite a bit of negative response from many Doors fans, although the circumstances were different. I don't see INXS fans being very receptive to a talent show-determined singer... maybe if the show was just footage of the band auditioning new frontmen, without any sort of network imposed elimination game, some might accept it. But even then it's still catering to a trend.

:down:

Well I don't know Doors' fans so I can't tell. My bad.

To me it's not done for demeaning the memory of Morrison/Hutchence etc... it's just a way of starting a new chapter.

Queen still play various concerts even though Freddie isn't with them anymore. REM still play even though the drummer quit. Nirvana issued new material even after Cobain died.

IWasBored said:
i don't think internet petitions do anything, nor did i actually like INXS. but i'll sign it because the idea is really fucking retarded.

ON-LINE PETetions are better than just sitting around and not attempting to have you voice heard.

yeah this one is outside the realm of belief eh? I'd say they must have been offred so much money they were lead into temptation or it appeals to their egos( the farriss brothers want their ugly mugs on TV) Kirk Pengillies ex-missus' mum (if you follow that) is Marcia Hines and she is one of the judging panel on Australian Idol, the Aussie version of Paula Abdul. Maybe it's successs has them seeing $$$. I quite like watching taent shows. I love being witness to a performance when someone really "has it" and the ones who don't can kinda make you laugh...or cringe. I find it interesting. All recorded music is manufactured. This is just mixed media branch of that.
I think the Farris brothers should be allowed to continue to trade as INXS. Their musicanship is a huge part of what was created when Michael was alive :sad: I wish they wouldn't go about it this way, but I do hope they continue playing the songs. I saw them( as you know) playing with Jon Stevens out front and it was passable. They put on a great show and play really well. I want them performing. That said, I wish things were different
Beautiful Boy:sad:

U2girl said:

Difference being that Ian was/is in a fairly known hard rock act (and he did take some flack for it anyway). A far cry from finding the singer on a reality show. I saw one of the post Michael INXS incarnations and it was just freaky. The guy looked, moved and sounded just like Michael. I just found it rather preverse. I agree that they should reinvent themselves with a new name (look at Velvet Revolver). I think INXS is such a known name though and since Andrew started INXS and is the songwriter I dont think he wants to start all over with it. But there are better ways to go about starting over if they insist on keeping the INXS name versus doing a cheesy reality show.

Last edited:
Like I said, it is an odd idea to find a singer. But then again, who knows...maybe there is a great singer out there and will come out in the contest. Then again, anyone picked in any way will obviously get compared to Michael.
INXS members still have the final say over who gets picked in the rounds and who wins, don't they?

Bonosgirl: I know it's not the same, I'm just saying a band can still make and release music, even without the singer.

Blue Room: I'm guessing you mean Jon Stevens? I didn't see them play together except for that performance at the Sydney Olympics and it looked and sounded good enough to me.

I don't know if they plan to keep the name INXS or not - Velvet Revolver is basically ex-Guns n roses without Axl (and I think one of the guitar players, who did play on the album), as far as line up goes. On the other hand, they probably took another name because Axl still has a band of his own that will keep that name - perhaps he has the copyright on it/legal permission.

Any replacement will have the same problems Jon Stevens had. It wont matter if they find him (or her) on a reality show or in a drive-through McDonalds queue.

as much as I detest reality shows chances are higher that you'll see me there than in a McDonalds drive-through

so I guess my chances have improved :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom