Oooookay computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
haha. I'm so in love with my new CD. Radiohead - Ok Computer. Now before you roll your eyes and say "silly sula, this is an OLD album", let me explain! The last few years I have been so hard-core on U2 that I haven't really looked outside of their catalogue at other artists. I *knew* Radiohead was a band that was well respected and that I *should* be listening to them, but until I was in Switzerland and loaning out all of my U2 CDs, I didn't get a chance to give them a try. Anyways, I got hooked on this album in particular, and I finally went out and bought my own copy.
biggrin.gif

Now I am fitter, happier, and more productive.

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

I will start to yell though as soon as you're starting posting insane bear pics

(if you think the above makes no sense than praise yourself lucky)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I own ONE Radiohead CD-Amnesiac-and I only bought it because Edge raves about it.

<-----
rolleyes.gif

I confess-I've only listened to it a couple of times. But if Edge would come over and listen to it w/ me, I think I could get into it.
wink.gif

sula, have you given their second album The Bends a try..you'll love it!

------------------
As I wander through a valley of sleepers, sky torn open with stars bleeding from its veins, pouring out onto nights black soaked curtain, and spread over mother natures scorched earth

I would also recommend Pablo Honey which few people suggest in here..its the album that got me hooked into them back in 94 and I still have a soft spot for it..but almost certaintly make sure your next non-U2 CD is The Bends, a lot of us grew up with that one here in the UK

I'm listening to The Bends right now! Its so beautiful, and it rocks. Fake Plastic Trees and Street Spirit--you haven't lived till you've heard those two songs.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Actually, I have heard the Bends. And although I didn't give it a really thorough listening...I have to admit that between the 2 (Ok Computer and The Bends) it was Ok Computer that really hooked me. That said tho...I am going to have to keep my eyes peeled at the used CD stores (can't afford to buy new albums sight unseen) and see if I can pick up The Bends and Pablo Honey. I've also heard Kid A, and although it seemed initially that it would definitely be a "grower", I could see myself getting into it.
smile.gif

-sula

Don't feel bad, Bama. I'm sure you have some sort of redeeming quality to you. Your lack of Radiohead awareness can be overlooked.
wink.gif

Oh, and popkidu2...before I forget, I'm supposed to say hi! to you for kyra1. She and I hang out about once a week and if you were in Vegas I was supposed to pass on greetings. You weren't...but hi! anyways. lol.
smile.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe and U2 Concert Pics

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

Oh, and popkidu2...before I forget, I'm supposed to say hi! to you for kyra1.

Yeah, tell her I say hello. I haven't heard from her in a while, but the next time I'm in Minneapolis, we're supposed to go out for a Gunniess. I had the chance to meet her and her boyfriend at the Columbus show. She's a cool cat.

Hey Bama, don't question my insults.

If I wanna pick on you and only you, you should be happy. I'm singling you out buddy
wink.gif

You know I'm only foolin'......'cause Johnny Swallow is the TRUE redneck
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

hey, where have you been foray?

radiohead albums (especially the Kid A), need time to sink it, in much the same way that Zooropa required time to sink in

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
radiohead albums (especially the Kid A), need time to sink it, in much the same way that Zooropa required time to sink in

So, is there a fair chance that if I disliked Zooropa on first listen, let it sink in, and now adore it...that I might be inclined to like Kid A?

in the next woooorld waarr
in a jack knifed
juggernaut
i am born agaaaainnn
in the neeeeeon siiign
scrolling up and down
i am born agaaainn

in an interstellar buuuuurrrrrsst
i am back to save the universe

One of my alltime favourite albums and this in my top songs.
God its amazing...

Im amazed that i survived

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 12-12-2001).]

OK is a true classic.

My favorite Radiohead albums in order:

OK
The Bends
Kid A
Amnesiac
Pablo

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
in the next woooorld waarr
in a jack knifed
juggernaut
i am born agaaaainnn
in the neeeeeon siiign
scrolling up and down
i am born agaaainn

in an interstellar buuuuurrrrrsst
i am back to save the universe

One of my alltime favourite albums and this in my top songs.
God its amazing...

Im amazed that i survived

Ive gotta say...that is one thing Deathbear was right about when i asked him...Airbag is an unbelieveable song...

Radiohead is fantastic, and all their albums grow a lot with each time listening to it. I don't know how often I have been listening to OK Computer since I bought it 3 years ago, but it actually still grows!!!
My faves are
1) Ok Computer
2) The Bends or Kid A or Amnesiac (hard to decide...)
3) Pablo Honey (great, but not THAT great)

The head of state
has called for me
by name
but I don't have time for him
it's gonna be
a glooooorious day
I feel my luck could change

------------------
Friday night running to Sunday on my knees.

popkidu2, I'll be seeing kyra1 this weekend, so I'll pass along your greetings. btw, we're going to try to organize a Twin Cities U2 fan get-together sometime early in January, so if you feel like a roadtrip....
biggrin.gif

*still listening to Ok Computer*

See, the problem is...there are no skip tracks! No tracks that I dislike and have to bypass. And I love the one that's on now... Exit Music. It's delicate and melancholy and then builds into this operatic crescendo and then that beautiful voice of Thom Yorke's moaning "We hope that you choke". wow.

and yes, brettig, Airbag is an amazing song.

-sula

------------------

Sula's Europe and U2 Concert Pics

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
The last few years I have been so hard-core on U2 that I haven't really looked outside of their catalogue at other artists.
[/B]

I can definitely relate to you, I recall we both became interested in music through U2 couple years back. But I started exploring different music at the beginning of this year and I started off with Radiohead. It took a couple listens to The Bends for me to get hooked and from there on to OK Computer. I view the Bends as their most melodic albums with songs such as Fake Plastic Trees, High and Dry, and the simple yet achingly beautiful Bulletproof.

OK Computer would have to be their most accomplished album. Like you said not a single track worth skipping, I know some people start skipping Fitter, Happier but the track always cracks me up. My favorite part of the album is the combination of Exit Music and Let Down. The transition between the two songs is perfect with Thom simply repeating "We hope that you choke that you choke" to the opening chimes of Let Down. This song is simply amazing, I love the way it builds up until the climaxing chorus. There is such an emotial release at the end of this song and I see it bringing grown men to tears. Only other time I initially felt so strong about a song was when I first heard WOWY.

The other Radiohead albums are pretty good too. Many believe Kid A to be the equal of OK Computer, but I see it as too emotionally detached. Idioteque is definitely the highlight of this album and its full intesity comes through during live performances. Amnesiac is a decent album with the dreamy Pyramid Song to the funky guitar riffs in I Might Be Wrong to Like Spinning Plates and closing with the Jazz-influenced Life in a Glass House. Pablo Honey doesn't do much for me, I feel a billion different bands could put this album together, but it does hint at some of Radiohead's potential and has an overal "rawer" sound.

Radiohead have put out some pretty good b-sides also. My favorites being True Love Waits, Polyethylene, Banana Co. and Fog. If you want to check out any of these mp3s or any videos, you can d/l them from my ftp.

ip: 65.83.99.235
user/pword: rh/rh

Radiohead is definitely one of the great bands alongside U2, they just aren't as overt about it, which means it takes longer to get interested in them. The biggest complaint is they are too depressing, which I thought too when I first heard some of their songs. But after awhile, you recognize the beauty in Thom's vocals and the outstanding guitars especially Jonny Greenwood.

Anyhow, there is so much great music out there and programs such as Audiogalaxy make it easily accessible. Don't let your U2 fanaticsm get in the way, go out and explore the possiblities!

[This message has been edited by qball7200 (edited 12-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by qball7200 (edited 12-15-2001).]

these things are free until I die

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 12-15-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom