Oooookay computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my favorite b-sides are:

"palo alto" (good enough to be on OK Computer, but doesn't really fit into the flow of the album)

"true love waits" (acoustic version on the new live EP)

"lift" (unreleased live acoustic version)

"talk show host" (great "gun and a pack of sandwiches" line)

"follow me around" (probably my personal favourite b-side, only played live, on "meeting people is easy" dvd and live in Toronto * 10-17-00)

"big ideas... don't get any" (from "meeting people is easy" dvd; also several live versions floating around with varied lyrics, formerly known as "nude")

"Rabbit In Your Headlights" (eerie... Thom Yorke w/ DJ Shadow, so technically not a radiohead song, but might as well be)

"fog (alligators in the new york sewers)" and "cuttouth" are also interesting tracks

----------
as the tanks roll into town
a little bit of knowledge will destroy you

Ahhh!! Ranking the Radiohead albums. What fun.
Pablo Honey is a decent album. A couple of great tracks and some filler. It's a fine debut though. (Although the site of Radiohead playing Creep at the MTV Spring Break Beach House still sickens me. What the hell were they thinking?)

The Bends. Tremendous album. At least five classic songs and no filler.

Ok Computer. Their second tremendous album. Succeeds like Achtung or UF did for U2; it reimagined what the band could be without abandoning their strengths. The best album of 1997. (Sorry Pop.)

Kid A. An interesting diversion that only lonely 15 year olds and true Radiohead fanatics could possibly obsess over. Best listened to by normal humans (ie not lonely 15 year olds or Radiohead fanatics) as background music. Really succeeds on this level but falls apart when examined more closely. Radioheads first "failure" but an interesting and worthy one.

Amnesiac. Pure laziness on the bands part. "Better" than Kid A in that the song writing is superior but not nearly in the league of The Bends or Ok Computer. It also fails in that it isn't as "out there" as Kid A. A bad compromise. Turns out the band wrote most of it at the same time as the Kid A tracks. Were they too lazy to write a new album or did they think that everything they recorded was great?

So where are Radiohead now? In limbo. Do they have another great album in them? Maybe, but Kid A and Amnesiac aren't good signs. They may well fall into the very trap that Pearl Jam and REM have fallen into in the past few years: releasing solid but unremarkable albums with the occasional great track on them. Which would be too bad for such a promising band.

MAP

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
The best album of 1997. (Sorry Pop.)
no way, Jon Spencer's Blues Explosion's "Now I got Worry" was the best album of 1997

I like the rest of your analyses though
smile.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Back
Top Bottom