OMFG R.E.M. are SOOOOO Greedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whats wrong with re-releasing the albums if they are mixed in 5.1? The only thing I would have a moan about is the price but if U2 re-released their back catalogue in 5.1 I would definetly be buying.

I have no problem with re-issues (if they do a decent enough job remastering them) for older albums.

Now Franz Ferdinand coming out with a re-issue.... that's another story!

I don't really think this is any more 'greedy' than U2 releasing THREE different versions of HTDAAB. Collectors and superfans will buy them--my only hope is that the R.E.M. dvds are more interesting than the dvd with HTDAAB.

Although I am a long-time fan of R.E.M., I won't be buying these re-issues because I don't have fancy enough stereo equipment at home for the surround sound to make one bit of difference--it'll still be left & right channels for me....

it's pretty good ,
you get pictures , sounds , all in all
at least people won't have to buy a little pathetic red box and download crappy mp3's from internet for 400$ + .

REM a good band .

Regular CD, Deluxe Edition (CD, DVD), Collector's Edition (CD, DVD, Book).

Was U2 greedy when they released the gold discs? I think not. Remember people, you don't have to purchase anything they're selling.

Oh my god, ahhaah, this is insane. As if I didn't already own R.E.M.'s entire catalog, now I have to buy all their Warner Brothers albums again. Oh my, I can't get over this. This just filled me fill complete joy :D I love R.E.M. and cna't wait to buy all these albums over again. My poor old wallet won't be too happy though.:wink:

doctorwho said:
Ooh... I don't have the "Deluxe Edition" - didn't even see it available. Hmmm... Is this in the U.S.? If so, where did y'all see it?

I was at Best Buy today, and they have all 3 versions.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I wish they'd reissue the 80s albums instead, they could do with some remastering.

Yeah, they were better in the 80s. I recently got into REM, but I can't find Fables of the Reconstruction or Reckoning at shops anyway. I have no idea how ebay works at all, and I have never bought anything online, due to my lack of computer competence.

The_acrobat said:

I have no idea how ebay works at all, and I have never bought anything online, due to my lack of computer competence.

Well, if you can post something on a message board I'm sure you could purchase something from they internet. By the way, the internet is on computers now.

Oh, and in other R.E.M. news, I just checked Amazon and they will be releasing the CD / DVD deal Jan. 25 for $24.98. I think that is a good deal. I'm not sure how excited I am about getting all of the discs but I definitely want to here Up, and Automatic mixed in 5.1. Now that I think about it, Monster and New Adventures will rock with the subwoofer.

Man, technology just keeps getting better. I just hope I don't have to replace my music collection every 10 years with the newest format.

I'm off to see R.E.M. in a few minutes at the venue mispelled in the Rolling Stone article. It's Kiva. :angry: :wink:

As I'm going through all my R.E.M. cds today, I realize I have 11 cds that I rarely listen to which explains why I don't recognize half the song titles on the setlists I've seen. I haven't bought anything since Monster yet consider myself a pretty big fan :reject:

I agree with Unforgettable Lemon--the 80s stuff is what really needs to be reissued/remastered. I couldn't understand the lyrics when I bought their early records on vinyl (yes, me and REM go way back) and I still can't understand them, lol.

joyfulgirl said:
I couldn't understand the lyrics when I bought their early records on vinyl (yes, me and REM go way back) and I still can't understand them, lol.

I always thought that was intentional. :laugh:

DVD-Audio rocks (especially in car audio applications). I wish U2 would get on board with it, too.

Not even Michael Stipe understands their early lyrics. That's kind of the point.

I differ from some in that I don't think they were 'best' in the 80s. I tend to think REM hit a peak in the early 90s with Out of Time and Automatic for the People. They kept doing some interesting stuff, and Hi Fi and UP are both underrated.

However, Reveal is a problem for me. A problem in that it's as bland as a banana split.

djerdap said:
No, they don't.

Yes. They do. None of their members are special. Their singer is apparently still in his teens dressing up like a moron and thus not allowing anyone to take his music seriously. Plus, his voice has zero techqnique. He isn't exactly a grand singer.

The music itself (which is needless to say the most important aspect of ANY band) isn't special at all. It's just regular (mediocre) music that ...meh, doesn't take anyone anywhere. None of their members are good enough on their instruments to stand out.

Last edited:
Jesus, I wish U2 would do this, too. My CDs are getting old and beaten up, and I'd love to have new ones with remastered sound and making-of DVDs. I'd rather see them do this than the iTunes digital box set bullshit.

R.E.M. will reissue their entire Warner Bros. catalog on February 15th, with each two disc set including the original album and a bonus DVD featuring the record remixed in 5.1 surround sound, as well as unreleased documentary and video footage.

that's a lot better than just tacking on 2 demo versions or mediocre songs stipe dug out of his basement that never previously were allowed to see the light of day.

but i agree about the 80s stuff. my copy of murmer sounds like it was recorded under water at this point.

although i don't think any amount of remixing and remastering can make shiny happy people less annoying.

:wink:

so many bands are doing this but the fans are smart enough to know what re-issue is worth purchasing and what is worth just passing.

Back
Top Bottom