OMFG R.E.M. are SOOOOO Greedy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #16
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
Local Time: 04:21 PM
haha ok well blame it on my frame of mind--
i'd just finished having a conversation with a friend about how U2 are/are not marketing whores.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Thanks DrWho. I thought more people would have picked up on that.....

Old 11-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #17
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
Ooh... I don't have the "Deluxe Edition" - didn't even see it available. Hmmm... Is this in the U.S.? If so, where did y'all see it?
I was at Best Buy today, and they have all 3 versions.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 11-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
I wish they'd reissue the 80s albums instead, they could do with some remastering.
Yeah, they were better in the 80s. I recently got into REM, but I can't find Fables of the Reconstruction or Reckoning at shops anyway. I have no idea how ebay works at all, and I have never bought anything online, due to my lack of computer competence.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #19
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by The_acrobat

I have no idea how ebay works at all, and I have never bought anything online, due to my lack of computer competence.
Well, if you can post something on a message board I'm sure you could purchase something from they internet. By the way, the internet is on computers now.

Oh, and in other R.E.M. news, I just checked Amazon and they will be releasing the CD / DVD deal Jan. 25 for $24.98. I think that is a good deal. I'm not sure how excited I am about getting all of the discs but I definitely want to here Up, and Automatic mixed in 5.1. Now that I think about it, Monster and New Adventures will rock with the subwoofer.

Man, technology just keeps getting better. I just hope I don't have to replace my music collection every 10 years with the newest format.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:49 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 PM
I'm off to see R.E.M. in a few minutes at the venue mispelled in the Rolling Stone article. It's Kiva.

As I'm going through all my R.E.M. cds today, I realize I have 11 cds that I rarely listen to which explains why I don't recognize half the song titles on the setlists I've seen. I haven't bought anything since Monster yet consider myself a pretty big fan

I agree with Unforgettable Lemon--the 80s stuff is what really needs to be reissued/remastered. I couldn't understand the lyrics when I bought their early records on vinyl (yes, me and REM go way back) and I still can't understand them, lol.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I couldn't understand the lyrics when I bought their early records on vinyl (yes, me and REM go way back) and I still can't understand them, lol.
I always thought that was intentional.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:34 PM   #22
The Fly

DVD-Audio rocks (especially in car audio applications). I wish U2 would get on board with it, too.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:40 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:21 AM
Not even Michael Stipe understands their early lyrics. That's kind of the point.

I differ from some in that I don't think they were 'best' in the 80s. I tend to think REM hit a peak in the early 90s with Out of Time and Automatic for the People. They kept doing some interesting stuff, and Hi Fi and UP are both underrated.

However, Reveal is a problem for me. A problem in that it's as bland as a banana split.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:12 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 02:21 PM
This seems pretty standard even with non-mainstream bands, don't see the big deal
Old 11-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap
No, they don't.
Yes. They do. None of their members are special. Their singer is apparently still in his teens dressing up like a moron and thus not allowing anyone to take his music seriously. Plus, his voice has zero techqnique. He isn't exactly a grand singer.

The music itself (which is needless to say the most important aspect of ANY band) isn't special at all. It's just regular (mediocre) music that ...meh, doesn't take anyone anywhere. None of their members are good enough on their instruments to stand out.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:11 AM   #26
Acrobat

Jesus, I wish U2 would do this, too. My CDs are getting old and beaten up, and I'd love to have new ones with remastered sound and making-of DVDs. I'd rather see them do this than the iTunes digital box set bullshit.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm not saying the music was better in the 80s... I'm saying the original CD sound quality is shit
Old 11-29-2004, 02:33 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
R.E.M. will reissue their entire Warner Bros. catalog on February 15th, with each two disc set including the original album and a bonus DVD featuring the record remixed in 5.1 surround sound, as well as unreleased documentary and video footage.
that's a lot better than just tacking on 2 demo versions or mediocre songs stipe dug out of his basement that never previously were allowed to see the light of day.

but i agree about the 80s stuff. my copy of murmer sounds like it was recorded under water at this point.

although i don't think any amount of remixing and remastering can make shiny happy people less annoying.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:23 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
although i don't think any amount of remixing and remastering can make shiny happy people less annoying.

Amen to that, sistah!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:49 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 10:21 PM
so many bands are doing this but the fans are smart enough to know what re-issue is worth purchasing and what is worth just passing.