Oliver KAHN wins adidas Golden Ball Award for the 2002 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafmed

Refugee
2 July 2002, 13:34 Seoul - Tokyo
Oliver KAHN wins adidas Golden Ball Award for the 2002 FIFA World Cup?
by FIFAworldcup.com

Germany?s captain Oliver KAHN became the first goalkeeper to win the adidas Golden Ball Award for a FIFA World Cup final competition. The 33-year old, whose heroic saves saw Germany through to the Final, obtained 25% of the votes cast by the media present at the third-place match in Daegu and the Final in Yokohama.

2002 FIFA World Cup: adidas Golden Ball Award
adidas Golden Ball Oliver KAHN
adidas Silver Ball RONALDO
adidas Bronze Ball HONG Myung Bo

votes in %
Oliver KAHN GER 147 25%
RONALDO BRA 126 21%
HONG Myung BO KOR 108 18%
RIVALDO BRA 93 16%
RONALDINHO BRA 54 9%
HASAN SAS TUR 26 4%
El Hadji DIOUF SEN 15 3%
ROBERTO CARLOS BRA 12 2%
Michael BALLACK GER 6 1%
Fernando HIERRO ESP 5 1%
592 100%

Three days before the Final, adidas, Official Sponsor, Supplier and Licensee of the 2002 FIFA World Cup(TM), had announced ten nominees for the adidas Golden Ball, arguably the most prestigious individual award in the world of football. Out of these ten nominated players, selected by the the FIFA Technical Study Group, representatives of the media elected the winners of the adidas Golden, Silver and Bronze Ball.

adidas presented a new trophy for this competition. The new trophy carries the names of each of the five former winners: Paolo ROSSI (ITA), Diego MARADONA (ARG), Toto SCHILLACI (ITA), ROMARIO (BRA) and RONALDO (BRA). The names of all future winners will be added to the trophy over the years. The design of the new adidas Golden Ball trophy is based on the historical adidas Chile football from 1960. The trophy will remain the property of adidas and FIFA and will be on permanent display in FIFA House, Zurich, Switzerland.

Previous winners:

1982 Spain - Paolo ROSSI (ITA)
1986 Mexico - Diego MARADONA (ARG)
1990 Italy - Salvatore SCHILLACI (ITA)
1994 USA - ROMARIO (BRA)
1998 France - RONALDO (BRA)

FIFA COMMUNICATIONS DIVISION / Yokohama/Zurich 2 July 2002 / 2002-0080-adidasgoldenball-E

1141563450.jpg

News

Kahn honoured
World Cup's best player

9.jpg

02.07.2002 | Oliver Kahn has become the first goalkeeper to be named best player at a World Cup finals.

Oliver Kahn was inconsolable after the match. "This was my only mistake in seven matches," the Germany captain said after going down 2-0 to Brazil in the World Cup final. "And it has been brutally punished," he continued.

But despite his personal despair, there was consolation for Kahn as he picked up two prestigious awards for his at times stunning performances. Before the final, he had already received the Lev Yashin trophy as best goalkeeper; on Monday, the 33 year-old Bayern netminder was awarded the "Golden Ball" as best player of the tournament. It is the first time in World Cup history that a keeper has secured this title: players such as Diego Maradona (1986), Romario (1994) and Ronaldo (1998) have been previous recipients.

Kahn, on 147 votes, ended clearly ahead of Ronaldo (125) and Korean stalwart Hong Myung Bo (108). Fifa's Technical Study Group (TSG) had drawn up a shortlist of 10 candidates, which was then voted on by all accredited journalists at the tournament. Kahn's Germany team-mate and soon-to-be club colleague Michael Ballack took six votes to finish 9th.

In the six games leading up to Sunday, Kahn had only conceded a single goal, and had played a massive role in Germany claiming a place in their seventh World Cup final. And until the 67th minute against Brazil the massive shot stopper kept out everything that had been thrown at him - until he showed he was human after all, spilling Rivaldo's drive into Ronaldo's path for the striker to fire his side in front.

"That is 10 times more bitter. There is no consolation for it," Kahn said afterwards. But he soon switched his gaze to the future: "We simply have to get on with it. The team will develop through to 2006." Kahn is looking forward to keeping goal for Germany on home soil. Who would bet against him adding to his haul of two personal honours and finally collecting the most prized footballing trophy itself?

Quoting the Univision announcers:

!Es un pajaro! !Es un avion! !No! !Es SuperKahn!

The Univision announcers were a hundred times better than the ESPN announcers.

A well-deserved acknowledgement for a fine athlete.
I have the greatest admiration for goalies..man alone, concentration and valour.

I just heard about this on our morning radio news, I'll have to read the articles later.
Congrats raf...I hope you get to meet him at the 2006 tournament:)

This is a celebratory thread, but I heard something else on the radio that inolved Germany and I feel the need to say..
RIP the children that were on that plane.

I have almost come to the end of "my" soccer pics. Our beloved old Pentax camera has just about died, so there will be no more shots with the depth of field capabilities. I'll miss that. I love trying to get several subjects in the one photo.

In this case it's our brave little U13 goalie in last year's grand final, He had kept so well all season , but the wheels came off on GF day. Here he is , so tiny,deceptively agile, "Man Alone" but looking to dad for reassurance.
Ollie, my namesake O'Perez:), Marcos, Rustu, Seaman, Given....."gloves" Bravo!!

Attachments

• goaliegf01.jpg
    goaliegf01.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 33
rafmed said:
adidas presented a new trophy for this competition. The new trophy carries the names of each of the five former winners: Paolo ROSSI (ITA), Diego MARADONA (ARG), Toto SCHILLACI (ITA), ROMARIO (BRA) and RONALDO (BRA).

Cool. So we are present twice in that one and twice in another one, see pic below :tongue:

JK rafmed, I said before, Kahn deserved his trophy this time around. ;)

Attachments

• ta?a1.jpg
    ta?a1.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 657
Back
Top Bottom