Oklahoma vs. Texas: You Make the Call! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Who will win the Oklahoma/Texas game?
Oklahoma 4 66.67%
Texas 1 16.67%
Who cares? Miami is gonna win it all this year anyway. 1 16.67%
What is this football thing of which you speak? 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Oklahoma vs. Texas: You Make the Call!

Alright, kids! It's time for the Red River Shootout. Make your predictions and give your analysis here!

Who's gonna win it? I'm gonna have to go with Oklahoma. To vote otherwise is sacrilege for me.

Tuck Fexas! Woohoo!

[Perhaps I'll be back later with some real analysis.]

Old 10-07-2002, 02:58 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Heartland Girl, you know I'm more interested in the Bedlam Battle at the end of the season, but I'll go with Oklahoma on this one. Texas and OU have fallen apart in the last few weeks, but it should be a good game.

Dano

Old 10-08-2002, 01:17 AM   #3
Kid A

I like Texas, they'll be ready to play this week. [take Texas and the points, put it in the books]
Old 10-08-2002, 01:38 AM   #4
War Child

Sorry...it's Miami and then everyone else this year...

I'll take Texas this week...if their offense clicks, it's a done deal.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:48 AM   #5
Kid A

Miami is another story, they won't lose before the Bowls, no way Virginia Tech wins in Miami... it's too far off to say they couldn't lose in January though, but you have to like their CSI unit, especially Kim Delaney
Attached Thumbnails
kd.2.jpg  
Old 10-08-2002, 11:22 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I think Texas will win this week, but lose later in the season, possibly to Iowa St, A&M or even at Nebraska (I know NU is down this year)...neither of these 2 teams has been as inpressive as advertised thus far considering the level of their competition, and I think both will fall out of the national titel picture before too long.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:26 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
I like Texas, they'll be ready to play this week. [take Texas and the points, put it in the books]
NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND. Despite all of the worshipful spin that the national sports media is placing on Chris Simms this week to prime him for a victory over OU, I think superior coaching and overall team work will ead the Oklahoma Sooners to a victory in Dallas on Saturday. It will be a close match between #2 and #3, but the Sooners will persevere.

Boomer Sooner. Tuck Fexas.

~U2Alabama
Old 10-09-2002, 12:02 AM   #8
Kid A

I like your coaching observations, Bama, that's a very plausible scenario, we will find out how good Phil Jr. is this weekend, he's never played in a game of this magnitude (considering that this game has national championship implications), but I do think he's the real thing, and it helps that the game is in Dallas
Old 10-09-2002, 09:43 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Big Grin

First, thanks to Bama for the kind Sooner words.

Here's my analysis:
My feeling is that there is a lot of parity in college football right now, and while OU and Texas are ranked #2 and #3 respectively, either team could go lose a game or two, not just to each other, but to other teams in the Big XII, such as Iowa State, Kansas State, or the sometimes good, sometimes bad Colorado team.

I think that whichever team gets the momentum first will eventually win. As soon as one team gets a taste that they can beat the other, that should carry them. I don't think Chris Simms is a very mobile quarterback, like Roberson or Brad ? from Missouri, so I'm feeling good about that. I have to disagree that Simms has not played in a game of this magnitude. Last year was Texas' year. Their only difficult game was supposed to be against us, and if they could beat us, they were likely to run the table. Simms started that game and was absolutely eaten up by our defense. (I can see the Roy Williams highlight reel in my head. Ah, memories!) Anyway, Simms has added plenty of fuel to the fire by giving the bird to OU fans at last year's game and by saying that he and his offense are unstoppable this year. I'll believe it when I see it.

But I'm not saying that Oklahoma is invincible. We've got major offensive line problems, Hybl tends to get happy feet after a few sacks, and our kicking game is almost as bad as Texas'. Tommie Frazier and Brandon Everadge are playing hurt, too. Still, when it's OU/Texas, you've got to expect that we'll bring our A game. Our players want nothing more than to put the hurt on the cows.

Anyway, I look forward to the game and everyone here at OU is stoked. The game being in Dallas is not an advantage to Texas, by the way. The stadium is half and half with the fans of the two sides, and Dallas is a city full of alums from both sides. I can assure you, OU fans will represent. Alright, I'm out for now.

GO SOONERS!
Old 10-12-2002, 09:03 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Big Grin

Victory is sweet

Third year in a row.

Chrissy Simms--7 interceptions in the last two years.

OU--Stoops' Troops outcoached Mack Brown completely, especially in the second quarter. The Sooners stayed strong, didn't panic, and persevered through some rough plays. Although Hybl threw 4 interceptions, he stayed calm and kept at it. I'm pretty excited. It wasn't our best performance, but I think it was a good win for the Sooner Nation. I think it's better to have room to improve than to constantly whoop up on people (cf. Miami).

Miami's looking a little vulnerable, by the way. I won't say OU is the best in the country, but I do think the Fiesta Bowl is wide open.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:24 AM   #11
Kid A

well everybody looks vulnerable at one point or another during the season, OU didn't exactly look unbeatable vs. Alabama and Missouri, just like Miami looked shaky last year in games against BC and Virginia Tech

Simms has struggled against top opponents, but he still has all-world talent, and a good head on his shoulders, and it doesn't hurt having the dad that he has
Old 10-13-2002, 01:55 AM   #12
The Fly

Yeah count me in as a BOOMER SOONER fan, Coach Bob Stoops is the best coach in college football. The SOONERRS won!

Florida State should have won too, which would have given OU a good shot at being #1.

And Alabama Crimson Tide is a great team too. So is Notre Dame.

Thanks,
little boy blue
Old 10-14-2002, 08:06 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I think Chris Simms' NFL stock is dropping faster than Worldcom's. Every big game this kid has played miserably.

As for the Fiesta Bowl, thanks to another FSU kicking failur, Miami will likely now make it, VA Tech seems their only remaining hurdle, and I think Va Tech is too one-dimensional.

As for an opponent...I doubt it'll be Oklahoma. If they can ever get their offense going, it could be Notre Dame, they'll need to be able to score to beat FSU, but if they do that, they should run the table.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:10 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

As expected, I was right on the outcome of the game.

Whose stock is dropping faster? Christine Simms, or Gross Wrecksman?