Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
In honor of the news that their new album is entitled The Stage Names and comes out August 7, I'm starting up a dandy little Okkervil River thread.

Is anyone else as crazy-go-nuts about these fellows as I am? I certainly hope so. Gottage, I'm looking in your direction here.
smielephantiy2.gif

I saw them for the first time a few weekends ago at a quaint little theatre on campus that seats 1,200. This was a one off show since they are putting around town recording the aforementioned new album, and it featured full string and horn sections. It was an incredible show, one of the best I've ever seen by far. They did a slowed down rendition of 'For Real' where the jagged, intermittent guitar part was played on the piano by Will and the guitar solos were played by the string section in what was perhaps the single best performance of any song I've ever seen. Here's the setlist:

Maine Island Lovers
Lady Liberty
Our Life is Not a Movie, Or Maybe (new song)
The War Criminal Rises and Speaks
A King and a Queen
A Hand to Take Hold of the Scene (new song)
Seas Too Far to Reach
Oh Precious
I Want to Know (Fugs cover)
Listening to Otis Redding at Home During Christmas
For Real

Encore:
The Stage Names (new song)
Song of Our So-Called Friend
So Come Back, I'm Waiting

The point is it was incredible and if you get a chance to see these Austin boys stop by your neighborhood this year, which you likely will, you need to take it.

Don't know Okkervil River but want to know what I'm raving and carrying along about? Do yourself a favor and check out this album:

b0007udcbc01lzzzzzzznn2.jpg

I think that's your best starting point. It's their most recent and (relatively) popular album and a great introduction to their sound. If you enjoy it, go snap up Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See and/or Down The River Of Golden Dreams as quickly as you can. DTROGD is worth owning for the song 'Maine Island Lovers' alone.

Appreciate! :grumpy:

Edit: Okay, here's what I'm going to try to do. Either I can send you Black Sheep Boy if you're interested in listening to that album, or I can make a mix of some sublime Okkervil songs, a sampler if you will, and send that on its merry way. If there is enough interest in this, I don't mind doing it.

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:

Edit: Okay, here's what I'm going to try to do. Either I can send you Black Sheep Boy if you're interested in listening to that album, or I can make a mix of some sublime Okkervil songs, a sampler if you will, and send that on its merry way. If there is enough interest in this, I don't mind doing it.

Or you can go to the official mp3 page where they have a tasty sampler platter. :pray: :pray:

I love Okkervil River. Saw them in Baltimore last October (2nd best show of my year after The Wrens in Philly). Here's a little mix of them I made for my future wife.

Red
For Real
The Velocity of Saul at the Time of His Conversion
Westfall
A Glow
No Key, No Plan
So Come Back I Am Waiting
Get Big
Dead Dog Song
A Stone
Last Love Song for Now
It Ends with a Fall
Black
In a Radio Song
The War Criminal Rises and Speaks

Really looking forward to the new album.

She will fall in love with you all over again... in the future.

And if anyone spots some footage of Okkervil Rivah and this horn/string section business, please post it. I imagined it in my head and I almost fainted. omg.

Unfortunately, UT's Hogg Auditorium has a strict no recording policy. There is no boot of the show and I'd be surprised if YouTube videos even existed.

It's a shame because Okkervil was filming that show for a DVD, but the Hogg says no recording whatsoever, even by the artist. Lame.

got_edge said:
She will fall in love with you all over again... in the future.

And if anyone spots some footage of Okkervil Rivah and this horn/string section business, please post it. I imagined it in my head and I almost fainted. omg.

The future wife is also a huge fan of a couple other of my favorite bands, U2 and The Smiths, which helps makes our musical life together blissful.
I'd like to get any Okkervil live recordings. The only live stuff I have is an audio performance of "So Come Back I am Waiting" clocking in at almost 11 minutes from the Bowery in NY last year. Quality is ok. Anyone know where I might be able to find an entire show somewhere? Limewire or some other service perhaps? Here's a couple items from youtube including one of the new songs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-ChWx_O30s (new song)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b-MoFYo-Ksw (Westfall, live in Austin)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RtAannzLurI (video for Another Radio Song)

I must say I have never heard of these guys, but curious as I am.. I checked the Youtube links and I was pleasantly surprised. This was really good, how come I never heard of them???

I am going to buy black sheep boy as soon as I can.

Thanks a lot for the tip..

patske said:
Thanks a lot for the tip..

That's what the thread is for. It didn't quite take off the way I thought it would, but if I got one person into Okkervil because of it then it's a bit of a success.

It's from the Overboard & Down EP, which is quite good, I might add. Contains a rather nice live rendition of Westfall and a cover of the Big Star ditty 'O Dana' that makes me smile.

Hey, Gottage. You want the first track from the new album? Of course you do! Gotta love smaller acts that make tracks available for free:

http://www.send space.com/file/54t597

Keep the change, you filthy animal.

http://www.send space.com/file/z4qrda

That's betta.

Anyway, I'd recommend listening to Black Sheep Boy first. Do that. Also try out the above link (it comes out August 7).

Finally got the album Black sheep boy (had to order it) and I must say this is a really good band.
I only had a change to listen to it once (bought 8 other cd's and had to give them also a try) but my favourite at the moment is Black
Again, how com I never heard of them before..And hopefully they will come to belgium very soon.

inmyplace13 said:
http://www.send space.com/file/z4qrda

Sorry, the file you requested is not available.

Suck my balls, SS.

Patske, I'm glad you got into them.

The Stage Names is fast becoming one of my top albums of the year.

A Girl In Port
Title Track
Savannah Smiles

:drool:

Listened to it again a couple of times yesterday and it still grows on me.. (my girlfriend even popped her head around the corner asking what it was and told me she liked what she heard)

What's the next album I should buy? any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom